C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How do you install a new wiring harness on my 67 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How do you install a new wiring harness on my 67 Corvette?

I have several HOT wires in my 67 Corvette that SHOULD not be. So, today I ordered new engine and dash complete wiring harnesses. Do you have any tips or videos on How to install the harnesses. Ron
Old 01-28-2015, 11:50 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

lay it out

rough it in

match wires and circuits

pull the old carefully

get one circuit working move to the next

get a wiring diagram

tools? do you have them

take out the seats
Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
lay it out

rough it in

match wires and circuits

pull the old carefully

get one circuit working move to the next

get a wiring diagram

tools? do you have them

take out the seats
Thanks I will do what you suggest. I bought a detailed wiring diagram; DocRebuild's OOSOEZ Wiring Guide. It seemed to be the best..... I hope it helps. I also bought all new LED instrument dash bulbs. They are brighter and use less power. I just hope that everything works when I am done...... Ron
Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

The engine side harness is fairly straight forward but the under dash one will be difficult. I would suggest pulling the instrument cluster out or at least buy some all-thread and cut it into about 4 or 5 inch lengths and replace the screws securing the cluster with them so that you can slide the instrument cluster back for access to the back. Also pull the steering column, driver seat and the glove box liner. I think that will give you most of the access you need.

There are some strange plugs and connections on a Corvette dash harness. I would suggest labeling any connections you pull apart taking the old harness out that are not completely obvious as to where they go. That way you will have something to compare to. Also a wiring diagram and copy of the Assembly Manual would be helpful.

If replacing the rear harness you will need to pull the door sill and pull some carpet back to get to it's location in the corner of the floor and sill. Another reason to pull the seat.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you install a new wiring harness on my 67 Corvette?

Quick Reply: How do you install a new wiring harness on my 67 Corvette?