C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help identifying this part 66 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Pa G 66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying this part 66 Vert

Calling all C1 Vert experts. I am replacing the convertible top and all related parts, weatherstrip, etc on my 66. After the vinyl was off and I was removing the small parts and worn weatherstrip, I noticed these two small (about 1.5 inches long) metal parts (one on each side) that were barely hanging on to the frame. The location was on the left and right side, near the bottom bow hinge. I can't tell if this is part of a weather strip attachment or something else. It is so badly rusted and was not serving any purpose that I can't figure out what it does. So, do any of you know what this is? What does it do? Can I buy replacements? (I can't find the part from any of the normal sources) Does it come as part of the top weatherstrip kit? Or should I just ignore it and move on?
Thanks for any information you can provide!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

They may be the metal reinforcement inside each end of the weatherstrip intended to stablelize the ends for attachment. Dennis
Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I am not sure what it is for but I do know that you had better clean up that rust on the carpet or your wife may very well kick your butt .
Old 01-28-2015, 04:27 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Those metal pieces may be part of the soft top rear bow filler extension weatherstrips. The extensions are the 2 short pieces of weatherstrip on each side of the top frame, between the rear bow weatherstrip, and the vertical side pieces.

If they are from the extensions, when you buy your new soft top weatherstrip kit, you'll get new filler extensions with those pieces of metal already molded into the rubber. Once it's molded into the weatherstrip, the only part of the metal that's actually exposed, is the rounded tab on top with the hole in it.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I am not sure what it is for but I do know that you had better clean up that rust on the carpet or your wife may very well kick your butt .

Funny, but I think that's a paper towel, man.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Those metal pieces may be part of the soft top rear bow filler extension weatherstrips. The extensions are the 2 short pieces of weatherstrip on each side of the top frame, between the rear bow weatherstrip, and the vertical side pieces.

If they are from the extensions, when you buy your new soft top weatherstrip kit, you'll get new filler extensions with those pieces of metal already molded into the rubber. Once it's molded into the weatherstrip, the only part of the metal that's actually exposed, is the rounded tab on top with the hole in it.
Here's what they look like..
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 PM
Pa G 66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino

Funny, but I think that's a paper towel, man.
Hey, I've done enough stupid things to get my butt kicked by my wife, but I learned long ago not to put car parts on her carpet. It's definitely a paper towel!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 PM
Pa G 66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's what they look like..
Thanks! You nailed it. I haven't bought the weatherstrip kit yet so know I will know what to look for when it arrives.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Pa G 66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
They may be the metal reinforcement inside each end of the weatherstrip intended to stablelize the ends for attachment. Dennis
Thanks. You are exactly right. See the picture of the part below (enclosed in weatherstrip). Appreciate your help!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help identifying this part 66 Vert

Quick Reply: Need help identifying this part 66 Vert