C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replaced temp gauge- scratching my head

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Default Replaced temp gauge- scratching my head

When I did the dash lights yesterday I was primarily interested in replacing my temp gauge. My old one had power and would not swing when I grounded the green-wire post either using the original wire or with a jumper. My used/working one I bench tested using the backup light connector for power and it swung to full hot when grounded.

When I installed this new one it too now does not budge. I have just tested for power with it plugged in - 11.5 volts which is consistent with the voltage I read on my fuel gauge and backup lights both of which work. When I ground the new one now in the car either using the sender lead OR the jumper I get no action at all.

As a side not in case someone asks I did test my old one and it is dead as ever. But I have no idea why my "tested good" one isn't working. I did take the car for a drive and if there is any voltage increase up and over 12 when the car is running, it didn't change anything. The others still work and this one still doesn't. I'm almost to the point if pulling my hair out.

If anyone has any advice please let me know.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
When I did the dash lights yesterday I was primarily interested in replacing my temp gauge. My old one had power and would not swing when I grounded the green-wire post either using the original wire or with a jumper. My used/working one I bench tested using the backup light connector for power and it swung to full hot when grounded.

When I installed this new one it too now does not budge. I have just tested for power with it plugged in - 11.5 volts which is consistent with the voltage I read on my fuel gauge and backup lights both of which work. When I ground the new one now in the car either using the sender lead OR the jumper I get no action at all.

As a side not in case someone asks I did test my old one and it is dead as ever. But I have no idea why my "tested good" one isn't working. I did take the car for a drive and if there is any voltage increase up and over 12 when the car is running, it didn't change anything. The others still work and this one still doesn't. I'm almost to the point if pulling my hair out.

If anyone has any advice please let me know.
The sending unit to temperature gage green wire goes thru the firewall/bulk-head connector. I would check this wire for continuity and resistance.

However, if you grounded the gage connection under the dash with the green wire disconnected and had 12 volts on the other gage connection, and the gage still didn't move, then it appears that the gage is bad.

Larry
Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Powershift
The sending unit to temperature gage green wire goes thru the firewall/bulk-head connector. I would check this wire for continuity and resistance.

However, if you grounded the gage connection under the dash with the green wire disconnected and had 12 volts on the other gage connection, and the gage still didn't move, then it appears that the gage is bad.

Larry
Thanks Larry- still has me stumped. I ran a new wire all the way from the gauge to the sender, and to boot a jumper on the terminal to ground also doesn't peg it. And it has voltage. And it pegged properly when I tested it under hood prior to installing. Hard to believe but it seems as if it "died" after the bench test and before I installed it. No resolution yet.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Just a follow up since these posts get searched sometimes- my new green wasn't fully pushed on the gauge. I removed it and tried my jumper again, this time the jumper was the only thing on that post, to the column bracket by alligator clips. The gauge pegged hot. I got my fingers up in there and reinstalled the green again- this time evidently more fully as it swung back to cold (car is cold).
Old 01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for letting us know how this turned out for you and what the problem was in the end. Could be helpful in the future to someone. Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced temp gauge- scratching my head

Quick Reply: Replaced temp gauge- scratching my head