C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spin on filter adapter question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Default Spin on filter adapter question?

All;

I recently replaced the oil and filter on my "new to me" '65 327 with a spin-on adapter, for the first time.

The center threaded boss onto which the spin on filter is attached is loose, so much so that I was able to easily thread it all the way out, and could thread it so far in that it appeared to have too few threads to properly engage the filter.

In installing the new filter, I tightened it to the manufacturer's specifications. I then ran the engine (with fresh full oil, or course) and it indicated good normal pressure and no leaks.

Is this normal, or is there a capture nut or setscrew to "lock" the center threaded boss?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Kevin:

What brand adapter did you buy?? Some use red Loctite on the center threaded connection.

Larry
Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Powershift
Kevin:

Some use red Loctite on the center threaded connection.

Larry
Absolutely!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Re: what brand - no idea, it came on the car.

However, some red locktite sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Very likely a Mr. Gasket #1270 - that is a very popular, easy to find, adapter...
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Very likely a Mr. Gasket #1270 - that is a very popular, easy to find, adapter...
Probably so………………and they take red Loctite on the center threaded connection.

Larry
Old 01-30-2015, 09:32 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
All;

I recently replaced the oil and filter on my "new to me" '65 327 with a spin-on adapter, for the first time.

The center threaded boss onto which the spin on filter is attached is loose, so much so that I was able to easily thread it all the way out, and could thread it so far in that it appeared to have too few threads to properly engage the filter.

In installing the new filter, I tightened it to the manufacturer's specifications. I then ran the engine (with fresh full oil, or course) and it indicated good normal pressure and no leaks.

Is this normal, or is there a capture nut or setscrew to "lock" the center threaded boss?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
That the way mine was on my first 63 had for 14 years .
never leaked on had problems ,Lock tight good idea
Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Careful

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
All;

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
I had an adapter that did the same thing. When I screwed the filter on, I was actually the threaded pipe further into the adapter instead of the filter. Mine didn't leak and showed good pressure. I was on the highway doing about 50 when the filter blew off. I lost 5 quarts of oil instantly. Use red Loctite or get a better brand of adapter.

Get notified of new replies

To Spin on filter adapter question?

Quick Reply: Spin on filter adapter question?