C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 courtesy light door switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C1 courtesy light door switch

Help me understand how this switch is supposed to work. Mine failed sometime during the summer and now that winter is here I started looking at the switch.

I opened it up to see if it was corroded inside, cleaned up the contacts with steel wool.

But I can't see how this is supposed to function. And I'm assuming I'm putting it back together correctly in this order into the housing: plastic piston, washer, spring, the base unit.

I get infinite resistance whether the plunger is pressed or not.

Are the contacts supposed to touch the interior of the switch cylinder's body to close the circuit when the door is open? I can't see any other way that the circuit closes to power the light.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Upon further review I am starting to think that when the plunger is out that the 2 terminals are supposed to contact the washer to close the circuit.

The washer is so black I thought it was plastic. It doesn't stick to a magnet so I'm guessing it might be copper. Currently soaking it in CLR to see if that helps.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Eckler description

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
Help me understand how this switch is supposed to work. Mine failed sometime during the summer and now that winter is here I started looking at the switch.

I opened it up to see if it was corroded inside, cleaned up the contacts with steel wool.

But I can't see how this is supposed to function. And I'm assuming I'm putting it back together correctly in this order into the housing: plastic piston, washer, spring, the base unit.

I get infinite resistance whether the plunger is pressed or not.

Are the contacts supposed to touch the interior of the switch cylinder's body to close the circuit when the door is open? I can't see any other way that the circuit closes to power the light.
Reproduction Of Original
Have you ever opened your refrigerator door at home and had the light come on? Then when you close it, it magically turns off? Well in theory, the door jamb switch is the little man in the jamb that makes this magic happen in your Corvette. Without it, finding anything in the dark would be a matter of fumbling around. Corvette’s door jamb switch works the same way. When you open your car door, this little switch spring loaded plunger engages contact points closing the circuit and sending an electrical current to your dome light. Ecklers Corvette is constantly working with the worlds top manufacturers to offer you they very best in replacement electrical components. Remember to check your connections and consult your Corvette's service shop manual before doing any electrical project. Don’t get caught fumbling in the dark, get yourself a new door jamb switch from the pros that know, Trust Ecklers Corvette for all your 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961 and 1962 Corvette restoration needs. Greg
Old 01-30-2015, 01:08 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 225 Posts

Upon further review I am starting to think that when the plunger is out that the 2 terminals are supposed to contact the washer to close the circuit.

The washer is so black I thought it was plastic. It doesn't stick to a magnet so I'm guessing it might be copper. Currently soaking it in CLR to see if that helps.
Here is an article I did on this subject for our chapter newsletter. It may help.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
jamb switch rebuild.pdf (301.9 KB, 286 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:32 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thoyer
Here is an article I did on this subject for our chapter newsletter. It may help.

Tom
Dude! That is perfect!

Turns out the washer I mentioned earlier is the fibrous one. After soaking it became clear it was not metal.

I can only suppose that the brass washer popped out when I opened the switch up. I wasn't expecting the spring to pop out like it did. I'll start searching the garage floor for it.

Now that I see your pictures with the brass washer it makes total sense.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Dude! That is perfect!

Turns out the washer I mentioned earlier is the fibrous one. After soaking it became clear it was not metal.

I can only suppose that the brass washer popped out when I opened the switch up. I wasn't expecting the spring to pop out like it did. I'll start searching the garage floor for it.

Now that I see your pictures with the brass washer it makes total sense.

Thanks!
Here is some info I put together when I had one of the switches from our '60 apart. Shows how the switch works.
Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C1 Courtesy Lamp Door Switch.pdf (473.3 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 02:05 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Found the brass washer! LOL

Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM
pikespeakfuelie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You to Tom & Dave for the two excellent articles. I am restoring a 1960 and planning to do this rebuild soon. These articles will be of great help. Greg
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 930 Likes on 532 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DZVette
Here is some info I put together when I had one of the switches from our '60 apart. Shows how the switch works.
Dave Z
Thanks for putting it together this way with the diagrams. Had trouble understanding how it functioned till I read your article.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:05 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Nice documents guys.....

Well Done !!

Get notified of new replies

To C1 courtesy light door switch

Quick Reply: C1 courtesy light door switch