C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Unbelievable Craigslist seller

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Unbelievable Craigslist seller

I texted back and forth about a bendpak lift on craigslist, then called and asked why the seller was selling and he said he moved to a new house with more garage and didn't need the lift at his new house. He then demanded the following before he would show me the lift as well as being rude to me on the phone. When I responded that I had never that model lift in person he said look on the internet they have videos of it. He said you must be careful of buyers on Craigslist and had scammers contact him about the lift. How about be careful of sellers on craigslist? The guy wonders why he hasn't sold the lift in 2 weeks?

A week ago I had arranged a meeting to see the lift and the seller didn't show at the gas station or answer his phone when I called to say I was there(was on the way home from somewhere else and the meeting place was not far out of my way.) I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt and tried one more time. I currently have a 2 post lift on craigslist and got the usual scamming text messages almost immediately when I posted it.

1) Drive to a gas station near his house 25 miles from me with a truck and trailer and meet him there, I would have to rent the trailer
2) Bring along a helper
3) Show him the $2,750 cash and no negotiating on price
4) Then he would show me the lift

Nice lift for sale at a great price with with a questionable seller. Not worth it to me to deal with this seller to save $1,250 on a lift.
http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/4853994262.html

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-31-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts

Unless you can't live without buying that particular unit, I'd look elsewhere. I wouldn't buy from him just based on his personality.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:54 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

"1) Drive to a gas station near his house 25 miles from me with a truck and trailer and meet him there
2) Bring along a helper
4) Then he would show me the lift"

All the signs of it being 'HOT HOT HOT'...as in Stolen...
Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by 66jack
"1) Drive to a gas station near his house 25 miles from me with a truck and trailer and meet him there
2) Bring along a helper
4) Then he would show me the lift"

All the signs of it being 'HOT HOT HOT'...as in Stolen...
I doubt it as he emailed me his demands with his name and phone number from an email address at a large local engineering company. I hadn't read the email before calling or I wouldn't have called in the first place.

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-31-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:01 AM
pullin-gs
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I sent him an email. .....I was not very nice.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I once read a great definition of being "well off" financially. It means, "...not feeling compelled to do business with somebody you don't like just because you need the money".

Or to save money in this case. If it were me I'd just "hitch up my drawers" and move on...
Old 01-31-2015, 11:21 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I have seen that same picture before, and it likely was on Corvette Forum, perhaps in the C-4 section.

So it's either a lifted picture by a scammer, or more likely, a true story by some owner that wants top dollar for a very good used lift, but is simply inconsiderate, and thinks his time more valuable than yours or anyone else's.
So even if he is normally a good guy, I agree, I would not buy it based simply on the bad behavior while selling it.

Marty
Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Craigslist is just like the general population, but you get to deal with types that you would otherwise normally avoid in your normal life.

Everything from murderers to scam artists to total oddballs.

My favorites are the ex-garage sale types that found a computer and somehow managed to get on the interwebs. They'll spend a week trying to talk a seller out of 2 dollars, or vice versa.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
I doubt it as he emailed me his demands with his name and phone number from an email address at a large local engineering company. I hadn't read the email before calling or I wouldn't have called in the first place.

You left that part out...in the original post...
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Craigslist is just like the general population, but you get to deal with types that you would otherwise normally avoid in your normal life.

Everything from murderers to scam artists to total oddballs.

My favorites are the ex-garage sale types that found a computer and somehow managed to get on the interwebs. They'll spend a week trying to talk a seller out of 2 dollars, or vice versa.
I always get text scammers from craigslist for sale posts and they say something like I can't come in person but I'll send someone with a cashiers check... I text them back "go to hell" and never hear from them again.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:49 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I once read a great definition of being "well off" financially. It means, "...not feeling compelled to do business with somebody you don't like just because you need the money".

Or to save money in this case. If it were me I'd just "hitch up my drawers" and move on...
Old 01-31-2015, 01:14 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Eautotools. Deliver and install Bendpaks
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by leadking
Follow this link as it will give you the address, the lift is in Katy TX https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sb...ok6SGT3FguHFpA
I don't want the address of where the lift is located. I won't deal with this jerk seller under any circumstances. Didn't know you could search for photos on google. If the guy wasn't such a jerk I would inform him! No use feeding his conspiracy theories. Nice house though.

Here is how the jerk seller responded to my declining to deal with him, unbelievable.

"Any serious buyer would have no issue with those conditions. Any reasonable person would realize that inviting complete strangers to your home to sell them an item without first verifying that they at least have the ability to purchase that item would not be a safe practice. Craigslist has become a powerful tool for criminals to do all sorts of things. My home is not a car lift showroom, there is ample information available online to help you determine what is right for you.

You’re right life is too short…"

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-31-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I would not do business with him either The point of my post is; who and what does he think he is hiding? It took less than 10 seconds to find his house. The guy is not only a *****, but stupid too.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:47 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I would not do business with him either The point of my post is; who and what does he think he is hiding? It took less than 10 seconds to find his house. The guy is not only a *****, but stupid too.
That would make him a stupid ***** ... I like to avoid these types of people.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:54 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts

Good luck to him if he ever decides to sell his house.....
Old 01-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

That's what you get on Crazy List.

Get notified of new replies

To Unbelievable Craigslist seller

Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Rude and unbelievably ignorant, unprofessional sellers are not just found on Craigslist.

I was looking at a website this week of a vendor of Corvette engines and other parts whose been around a long time. I'd heard he was a jerk but didnt think much of it. He has an entire page of engines of a particular # that I would love to find with a specific VIN. The page has a link that allows inquiries right on it. The vendor will go unnamed.

Anyway, I asked if he might have this block. The link actually requested the VIN and car's production date. He came back and said "You will spend $10,000 on that block. If you ever wake up from this "dream" and realize that you have a better chance of being stuck by lightning twice before you ever find that block, you will order a date correct one from us for $1750."

Uh....

I tried to respond without saying what I was thinking, particularly about his pricing, but said his site was asking for inquiries and when I ask other companies the same question, they either say yes or no. He didnt get my point then either.

How do companies make any sales at all talking like this to people? There's a few of them out there.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:21 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale
That's what you get on Crazy List.
I bought a 4 post lift on CL. I called the seller up, said I'd pay his price which was cheap and offered to drive there 50 miles and pick it up. He said $500 of the price was to pay for delivery and set up. I said I'd set it up myself so he took off the $500. He called back a few hours later and said no, he would deliver it as it was already on a trailer due to insurance reasons. We worked out that he would put a hold on my credit card number as safeguard for the trailer which was OK with me. This was a bit trusting of me but you don't have to pay for fraudulent charges on credit cards. A couple days later he delivered the trailer to me, left it overnight, I unloaded it with my engine hoist and he came back to pick the trailer up a couple days later. All very reasonable to me. Now the above *****? No way would I deal with someone so inflexible and rude to save $1,250 which I could easily pay if I was desperate for that particular lift. I might have negotiated some more if I didn't already have a 4 post bendpak lift I'd have to sell if I bought his.

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-31-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:15 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
"Any serious buyer would have no issue with those conditions. Any reasonable person would realize that inviting complete strangers to your home to sell them an item without first verifying that they at least have the ability to purchase that item would not be a safe practice. Craigslist has become a powerful tool for criminals to do all sorts of things. My home is not a car lift showroom, there is ample information available online to help you determine what is right for you.
Well, I hope that he is highly financially successful, because he is severely lacking in ability as a thoughtful gentleman, and is clearly clueless about the 21st century. What a sad gaper.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable Craigslist seller