C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil pressure gauge removal on a 63, how?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:08 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Oil pressure gauge removal on a 63, how?

My 63 oil pressure gauge stopped working. I know it's the gauge because I hooked up a generic one and there's plenty of pressure. Question, can I remove gauge to send off for rebuild without messing with the instrument cluster. I know I will have to remove emergency brake bracket to get to gauge but that will not be a problem.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Unlike a C1, the "small" C2 gauges are not separately housed instruments....they are integrated in to the cluster. I'm afraid it might be a cluster pull for you my friend. I would examine the oil gauge hard line VERY carefully and make sure its not kinked or clogged up as a first step. You could possibly luck out and only have to replace that...

In this kind of fuzzy picture you'll see the oil gauge housing from the rear at the lower edge....it might be possible to get the water temp/oil gauge housing off with the cluster still in the dash but it would be really tough. Others here may have done it but I haven't heard of it...

You'd have to get access to those small sheet metal screws and then back the gauge housing out without screwing something up badly...installation would be equally problematic...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-07-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:34 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

Getting the gauge out will be all about whatever's restricting or blocking the gauge from the back side. I just did reassemble my cluster today and here's a view from the back side:

Barring any obstruction you could remove the gauges separately. However, I think your best bet would be to remove the electrical connection to the temp gauge, the oil pressure gauge supply line, the 3 screws on the perimeter of the gauge backing plate and finally the backing plate which will have the two gauges attached to it. Getting the gauges out with the cluster in is do-able but it would be a challenge. If you do choose to go this direction you need to remember that two of the gauge backing plate screws are machine screws with the other being a sheeting type screw. Trying to put the wrong screw in the wrong hole whilst contorting your body in the floor board could prove to be irritating.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:02 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
My 63 oil pressure gauge stopped working. I know it's the gauge because I hooked up a generic one and there's plenty of pressure. Question, can I remove gauge to send off for rebuild without messing with the instrument cluster. I know I will have to remove emergency brake bracket to get to gauge but that will not be a problem.
I do it quite often. You might have to loose the screws and push the cluster out a little, and it helps to be agile enough to get upside down in there. Remove the pair together.

When you get it out, just daub a little light oil on the mechanism and thump the capillary tube a little bit. It will go back to working and you will save the repair bill.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm impressed - I have "monkey arms and pianist fingers" -- I've changed my '61 side spears without taking the kick panel off and I'm still not sure I could swap out an oil gauge with the cluster installed in a C2 !!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-08-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure gauge removal on a 63, how?

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge removal on a 63, how?