C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Excessive Oil Use Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1COOL60
I was using an Edelbrock Performer manifold with the World Product heads. I spoke to a local machine shop about what I found, and asked if the manifold could be milled somewhat to correct the problem. Rather than that he recommended checking with Edelbrock regarding what gasket to use. I went to the Edelbrock website to see what gaskets they recommended, and used whatever Felpro they recommended and was extra careful about torquing the intake. It didn't completely solve the problem, but it cut consumption by a significant amount. Edelbrock also recommended Gasgacinch.

I have since replaced the Performer intake with a TPI; still using the World Product heads. Again, I was very careful torqueing the base plate down (don't remember exactly which Felpro gasket I'm using). I also used sealer around the ports. Consumption is now 1 quart every 2500 miles.

If I remember correctly, I sat the new intake in position without gaskets to see the angle of attack so I wouldn't have this problem. It's been a few years. I do remember initially that I had oil seeping under the heads of the intake bolts so I re-did the job with the correct sealer. I have no external intake bolts leaking.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterDave
Interesting if true. Not sure how oil can ruin a valve guide seals.
Absolutely true; I know, I spent 2 days under the car replacing the oil pump. You may be correct; the guide seals may have been bad from the initial rebuild. I'll let you know in a couple of months after I get back to Minnesota an pull it apart for (I hope) the last time. Check the NCRS board; there are several instances of "Race Engine Builders" doing us a "favor" by installing HV/HP oil pumps.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

High Pressure and High Volume pumps normally cause no issue other than wasting horse power and a little efficiency. They are very popular with engine rebuilders because all buyers of new engines want good oil pressure. Buyers see this as a sign of a good rebuild.
If you have excess clearances on the rods and mains or cam bearings a high volume pump will normally hide that fact and keep oil pressure high and make a happy customer.

If the Rod clearance is excessive, anything more than .00275 clearance between the rod bearing and the crankshaft it creates quite a leak internally, this oil is also thrown off onto the cylinder walls as the crank rotates and can overwhelm the ability of the oil ring to scrape it away. This can cause oil burning in a otherwise good engine.
This is especially true if running reduced or light tension oil rings.
Tighter rod bearings can fix this. .0015 to .0025
You can buy rod bearings in .001, .011 and .021 oversizes to fix a Std, 10 under or 20 under crank.
Large shops used to use a Sim Test machine, after assembly and before an oil pan went on the rebuilt engine was ran on the Sim Test. A device was hooked to the crankshaft and oil was hooked to the oil pump. They ran it at 400 RPM and tested flow and leaks. They picked up many issues before the engine went to final assembly and shipment.
Often switching in oversize bearings fixed oil pressure issues.
Comebacks were expensive in that business so this extra step was taken by many large shops.

On your issue of burning oil I think you are probably looking at an issue with the overhead. Manifold seal or Valve Stem Seals as was discussed by several people earlier.

What was your oil pressure at idle and at 3,000 RPM? It should have been at least a solid 60 psi with the pump you had. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Why do people continue to call main and rod bearings oversize when in fact they are undersize to fit a crankshaft whose journals have been ground to a smaller diameter.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 AM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
High Pressure and High Volume pumps normally cause no issue other than wasting horse power and a little efficiency. They are very popular with engine rebuilders because all buyers of new engines want good oil pressure. Buyers see this as a sign of a good rebuild.
If you have excess clearances on the rods and mains or cam bearings a high volume pump will normally hide that fact and keep oil pressure high and make a happy customer.

If the Rod clearance is excessive, anything more than .00275 clearance between the rod bearing and the crankshaft it creates quite a leak internally, this oil is also thrown off onto the cylinder walls as the crank rotates and can overwhelm the ability of the oil ring to scrape it away. This can cause oil burning in a otherwise good engine.
This is especially true if running reduced or light tension oil rings.
Tighter rod bearings can fix this. .0015 to .0025
You can buy rod bearings in .001, .011 and .021 oversizes to fix a Std, 10 under or 20 under crank.
Large shops used to use a Sim Test machine, after assembly and before an oil pan went on the rebuilt engine was ran on the Sim Test. A device was hooked to the crankshaft and oil was hooked to the oil pump. They ran it at 400 RPM and tested flow and leaks. They picked up many issues before the engine went to final assembly and shipment.
Often switching in oversize bearings fixed oil pressure issues.
Comebacks were expensive in that business so this extra step was taken by many large shops.

On your issue of burning oil I think you are probably looking at an issue with the overhead. Manifold seal or Valve Stem Seals as was discussed by several people earlier.

What was your oil pressure at idle and at 3,000 RPM? It should have been at least a solid 60 psi with the pump you had. Hope this helps.
Good info. I've always used 10/30 dino oil. At cold engine idle the gauge is pinned at 80. Hot idle is 40+. Hot engine at speed will be 60ish. Just got home from a business trip so I will get an engine leak down tester today.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:17 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
Why do people continue to call main and rod bearings oversize when in fact they are undersize to fit a crankshaft whose journals have been ground to a smaller diameter.
Probably because they have to be thicker to make up for the metal taken off the journals.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The bearings are oversized (compared to standard bearings) to fit a crank that is ground undersized. What's the issue?

Old 02-12-2015, 02:13 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Hope this helps...

A oversized bearing has the same material thickness on the inside of the bearing facing the crankshaft journal, and more material on the outside facing the bore. Oversized bearings are used after a block has been line bored. A undersized bearing there is more material on the inside facing the journal, and the same amount facing the bore it fits into. Undersized bearings are for a smaller diameter journal or for a machined crankshaft journal.

-Bruce
Old 02-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Oversized bearings are for repairing used engines or tightening the clearances.
Bearings are available for the small block in Std, .001,.002, .010, .020 all the way to .050. Oversized bearings allow the builder to grind the crank smaller and give you a new crankshaft finish to run with. This allows multiple rebuilds before the crank needs to be scrapped.

Undersized bearings do just the opposite. Some new race cranks sold are a little fat for the builders needs so bearings are available to help correct that. For the small block GM they have race bearings in .001 or 1x, .009, .010, .011, .019, .020, .021.
All these sizes allow the engine builder to hit his preferred oil clearance.
Normally this will be .001 to .0035 depending on the builder and purpose.

Now one more twist, sometimes the Connecting rods were damaged and need to be repaired so they now have Oversize Housing bore bearing to fit connecting rods that have been honed oversize. Today the standard oversize is .002.
These bearings are listed as: 10x2 meaning the crankshaft is .010 under and the rods are .002 oversize. Many new rods can only be repaired by honing them oversize so this type bearing is becoming more popular.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

"Good info. I've always used 10/30 dino oil. At cold engine idle the gauge is pinned at 80. Hot idle is 40+. Hot engine at speed will be 60ish. Just got home from a business trip so I will get an engine leak down tester today." from MasterDave

Dave, A simple compression test with the engine warm and no oil added down the spark plug hole will give you a good read on general condition of your rings and cylinder walls.
If you find a low cylinder the leak Down will help identify where the leak is.

Sealed Power Piston Ring Engineers told me Compression Tests win races and Leak Down tests do not. They used this line because Total Seal rings had better leak down numbers but Sealed Power rings won more races. I trusted those guys then and now so I lean more on Compression Tests to determine engine health.
Rings rotate in normal engine operation, sometimes the ring gaps align in normal operation. If you do a leak down and they happen to be aligned at that point in time you will have a big leak in that cylinder. Run the engine for one minute and test again and the same cylinder may have a great leak down number. They may only line up like this once in 50 tests but it can happen. So if you do a leak down and find one bad hole run it a little and test that hole again.
The leak down does help identify the exact location of a leak, Exhaust Valve, Intake Valve or piston rings but if you have good compression you do not have those leaks to start with.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by StingU2
Hope this helps... A oversized bearing has the same material thickness on the inside of the bearing facing the crankshaft journal, and more material on the outside facing the bore. Oversized bearings are used after a block has been line bored. A undersized bearing there is more material on the inside facing the journal, and the same amount facing the bore it fits into. Undersized bearings are for a smaller diameter journal or for a machined crankshaft journal. -Bruce
We are off topic but I agree. Same as a cylinder is bored oversize and uses an oversize piston.

Tom
Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
"Good info. I've always used 10/30 dino oil. At cold engine idle the gauge is pinned at 80. Hot idle is 40+. Hot engine at speed will be 60ish. Just got home from a business trip so I will get an engine leak down tester today." from MasterDave

Dave, A simple compression test with the engine warm and no oil added down the spark plug hole will give you a good read on general condition of your rings and cylinder walls.
If you find a low cylinder the leak Down will help identify where the leak is.

Sealed Power Piston Ring Engineers told me Compression Tests win races and Leak Down tests do not. They used this line because Total Seal rings had better leak down numbers but Sealed Power rings won more races. I trusted those guys then and now so I lean more on Compression Tests to determine engine health.
Rings rotate in normal engine operation, sometimes the ring gaps align in normal operation. If you do a leak down and they happen to be aligned at that point in time you will have a big leak in that cylinder. Run the engine for one minute and test again and the same cylinder may have a great leak down number. They may only line up like this once in 50 tests but it can happen. So if you do a leak down and find one bad hole run it a little and test that hole again.
The leak down does help identify the exact location of a leak, Exhaust Valve, Intake Valve or piston rings but if you have good compression you do not have those leaks to start with.
I just picked up the leak down tester at Harbor Freight. I do have a compression tester but with a warm engine and headers I will have to be careful not to get burned. Oh well, I've been burned before.....
Old 02-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Try Mechanics gloves, for $20 bucks your hands will appreciate the help.
In my experience the good ones work and the cheap copies only work half as well.
Like most things, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
The bearings are oversized (compared to standard bearings) to fit a crank that is ground undersized. What's the issue?

There is no issue, But every bearing catalog I have lists them as undersize!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

if you have a PCV system do you have the proper rocker cover with the baffles around the PCV valve ??? I have also seen after market PCV valve cause oil burning

Last edited by MasterDave; 02-19-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 PM
MasterDave

OK, just got back in the house after doing a compression check on a warm engine. I got hot hands but no burns. 150 pounds across the board. It is probably a bit more actually due to the rubber nipple on my antique gauge being split and cracked which made it impossible to get a complete seal. A friend helped and he had the same oil use issue with his BB with a hi volume/pressure oil pump. He put a standard pump on and his problem was solved. I will get a standard pump and oil pan (I have the Moroso 8 qt now) and give that a try. I have not done a leak down test yet. Should I still do it?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:29 PM
MasterDave

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
if you have a PCV system do you have the proper rocker cover with the baffles around the PCV valve ??? I have also seen after market PCV valve cause oil burning

I do have a baffle on the PCV side of the valve cover. Good thought though.

Get notified of new replies

To Excessive Oil Use Question

Old 02-19-2015, 07:42 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterDave
I do have a baffle on the PCV side of the valve cover. Good thought though.
i would remove the PCV valve and put a push in breather in that cover and see what happens to your oil problem. if it gets better you know the PCV valve is the problem..
Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 PM
MasterDave

I have a push in breather in one valve cover and the PCV in the other. Do they make a push in breather that will fit in the PCV hole?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Dave, your cam is big which will bleed some compression, I am assuming you run flat top pistons? Flat Tops with 64cc should be close to 10:1 in a 350, I would expect 160 to 175 compression but even at 150 all cylinders is good and the sign of a good engine.
A leakdown may show you are leaking past the rings in all 8 but that would surprise me.
You bought the tool, might as well play with it.
We have given ideas for checking the manifold seal and finally valve stem seals, after leak down I would go that way. Since compression is the same a leak down test will probably back you up and say all 8 are healthy.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Use Question