C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 AM
SilverBullitt
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default What is it worth?

I may have an opportunity to purchase a '63 SWC from someone in my family. He has owned the car since new. It is the 327/300hp, and he claims it is all numbers matching. I think he did have the engine rebuilt about 20 years ago, but that is about it. The car runs and drives very nice, with no apparent mechanical issues.

The car had a color change back in the late 60's, from blue to yellow, and it has been repainted yellow once more since then. The car wasn't in any accident or anything. He just decided that he wanted it yellow instead of blue. The paint has quite a bit of spider-web cracks in it, and the chrome is pitted in a few places. It is a Texas car and has always been kept inside, so I don't really expect any major rust issues. He just recently had the dash pad replaced due to sun cracking. Other than that, the car is pretty much an untouched, unmodified, original car. I'd say that it is currently a very original, good running, driver quality car. If I got it, I'd want to have it fully restored and returned to its original color, and I know that is a $$$ job. What do you guys think a car like this is worth? I don't currently have any pics, but will post some next time I go visit him.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Need more info and pix.

My guess $40-$80K depending on work needed to be done. To make a restored show car will cost $20K+ just to get going, and that's if you do all of the work. If you want to drive it and have fun. cost is minimal.
A low optioned car might bring $100K+ if restored. There is currently a 63 coupe for auction (see posting here). No reserve. Watch and see what it goes for. Also, it is fun reading all of the comments from the so-called experts on this car at the site of the auction. If you'all are just sittin' around and have a few, tune in its a hoot
I'm guessin' it will go for $89K. Anyone else out there care to take a guess?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I don't see any 63s going for under 50k that are running cars. Start there and figure it will be 10-15 to paint, probably more because it will have to be stripped and the chrome will be expensive to do. If you just want one to drive stay under 60k on it.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Unless there's family history involved with that car, I'd buy one that has already been restored or at least has different paint. You'll be money ahead. But if you're determined to be in that car, I'd try to stay as close to $60,000 as I could.

Post pix if you can - I'm curious to see what one looks like in yellow.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
SilverBullitt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Unless there's family history involved with that car, I'd buy one that has already been restored or at least has different paint. You'll be money ahead. But if you're determined to be in that car, I'd try to stay as close to $60,000 as I could.

Post pix if you can - I'm curious to see what one looks like in yellow.
I have been sort of thinking this myself. It belongs to an uncle of mine, and I have the peace of mind of knowing the car for all my life. I know there aren't any "stories" with it - it is just an honest car. But, I'm not sure that peace of mind is worth more than the knowledge that some other car has been completely restored already. I know he would feel better about having it go to someone in the family, but probably not enough to make me a super smoking deal on it. I just don't even know what is a fair price for both of us, so the insight you guys are providing is very valuable.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:34 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

WIW thread moved from Cars For Sale classifieds to General discussion area.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:38 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
My guess $40-$80K depending on work needed to be done.
If there's any numbers matching one owner running reasonably complete SWCs out there that basically need a paint job for $40k, I'll take several, please.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
If there's any numbers matching one owner running reasonably complete SWCs out there that basically need a paint job for $40k, I'll take several, please.
And I'll take the ones you don't have parking for at that price.

That said, this supposed car is entirely hearsay, so who knows? I've seen cars that were considered "running", but were only so in the academic sense, when in fact, they were actually basket cases that started up.

On the other hand, if all it needs is paint and some chrome, then I'm back and all in at the 40K mark.

OP, to avoid any hard feelings - which are obviously worse where family is involved - get it professionally appraised (maybe even split the cost with the seller - by deducting 1/2 of the appraisal cost from the sale price). That way you avoid suffering by overpaying, or for being the 'bad guy' for taking advantage of a family member by underpaying.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:06 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm thinking high 40's to 60's depending on condition. Rough cars are going for 30's to 50's.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:07 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

"I may have an opportunity to purchase a '63 SWC from someone in my family. He has owned the car since new. It is the 327/300hp, and he claims it is all numbers matching. I think he did have the engine rebuilt about 20 years ago, but that is about it. The car runs and drives very nice, with no apparent mechanical issues."

This hasn't been the case with the 5 antique cars I own.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

If its running/driving and in decent shape with no frame or birdcage issues (and all the 63 ONLY parts) there is no way it'd go for less than $50s money on the open market.

Now, uncle, relations, nephew, family car... maybe that counts for something. But my aunt recently sold my deceased uncles' 65' Convertible AC/Auto Yellow car that I have asked for first right of refusal on for the last 30 years. Without a freakin peep. I only found out about it recently.

(Did anyone buy a car out of VA Beach matching that description?)
Old 02-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
(Did anyone buy a car out of VA Beach matching that description?)
No, but I wish that I had.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Just before I bought my 67, I asked her if she was willing to sell it to me... I didn't just get a "no", kinda got a hell no.

18 months later, puff. gone.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Swc

$55,327
Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Dealing with family / friends is always a touchy issue.

Save yourself a lot of headache; get a professional, impartial appraisal. Make sure the appraiser is someone that understands C2 Corvettes.

Offering too little could cause hurt feelings, offering too much could cause hurt feelings.

A professional appraisal is a couple of hundred dollars. Spend the money, save a bunch of problems later on.

Last edited by emccomas; 02-23-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:59 PM
SilverBullitt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
And I'll take the ones you don't have parking for at that price.

That said, this supposed car is entirely hearsay, so who knows? I've seen cars that were considered "running", but were only so in the academic sense, when in fact, they were actually basket cases that started up.

On the other hand, if all it needs is paint and some chrome, then I'm back and all in at the 40K mark.

OP, to avoid any hard feelings - which are obviously worse where family is involved - get it professionally appraised (maybe even split the cost with the seller - by deducting 1/2 of the appraisal cost from the sale price). That way you avoid suffering by overpaying, or for being the 'bad guy' for taking advantage of a family member by underpaying.
So, you think I took the time to come to this part of the forum and type up that original post about a non-existent car? Something I just made up? Really? What would be my reason for doing that?

The car exists. I've known the car for my whole life. I've ridden in it multiple times. I've driven it once. It runs and drives just fine, but is in old, original condition. There is no hearsay. There is nothing "supposed" about the car. But thank you so much for the warm welcome.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 AM
SilverBullitt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by emccomas
Dealing with family / friends is always a touchy issue.

Save yourself a lit of headache; get a professional, impartial appraisal. Make sure the appraiser is someone that understands C2 Corvettes.

Offering too little could cause hurt feelings, offering too much could cause hurt feelings.

A professional appraisal is a couple of hundred dollars. Spend the money, save a bunch of problems later on.
This is a good recommendation. Does anyone know of a good, qualified Corvette appraiser in the DFW area?

Get notified of new replies

To What is it worth?

Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SilverBullitt
So, you think I took the time to come to this part of the forum and type up that original post about a non-existent car? Something I just made up? Really? What would be my reason for doing that?

The car exists. I've known the car for my whole life. I've ridden in it multiple times. I've driven it once. It runs and drives just fine, but is in old, original condition. There is no hearsay. There is nothing "supposed" about the car. But thank you so much for the warm welcome.
SilverBullitt;

We have all kinds on the forum; don't let it bother you.

Unfortunately we also get more than a few "fantasy cars". Some of us are tired of dealing with them.

Keep us posted, sounds like a nice ride.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a good recommendation. Does anyone know of a good, qualified Corvette appraiser in the DFW area?
That can't be hard to find. DFW is a big area, lots of Corvette types in that area.

Good luck man!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I did a quick google of classic car appraiser in Dallas Fort Worth. Found Classic Auto Appraisers in Fort Worth. Don't know anything about them. JUst one of many appraisers dealing in classic cars.

Good luck on iot.

Quick Reply: What is it worth?