C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

anyone recognize my lost 61 I have parts for it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Oh, wow.

Stolen FI car, now original numbers 270 2x4 car.

This sounds like a mess for somebody.

If you have the title, and didn't sell the car to the ins co, and have copy of the police report, or can get it from the police, It looks like you own a nicely restored '61 Corvette.

But, since the car looks like it was POS when stolen, as an honest person, when the owner is found and the car impounded, i would just hold the new owner up for about what the value of the car was when it was stolen (probably not a huge amount), plus inflation, rather than taking the new innocent owner to the cleaners and taking the entire car

Doug
What if the OP considers the car to have sentimental value? Perhaps it's a family hand-me-down or some such thing or maybe he just wants what was once his car. Should he allow the innocent owner to scrape the paint off, rip the interior out and pull the fictitious motor, or would you advise him to take a loan out and compensate the innocent owner for the bogus restoration that was done?

Just some things to think about... Gosh, it's never that simple.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

The OP (Jerry) has not made it clear whose car it is. It was his, and was stolen in 1998. We can determine that much. Did he report it stolen? We don't know. Did he receive an insurance pay-off? We don't know. Was the car ever recovered by the police and offered back to him? We don't know. What was the insured value? Did he ever or does he still have a title to the car? Why is he offering parts for the car, if it was stolen from him? If he has a title to the car, and it was reported stolen with a police report, the car is his and he wins. From basket case to show-car for no out of pocket money. Not a bad deal. So, Jerry, what's the story on the car?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
Do you still have any of the VIN marked components (like the original engine) or the original frame?

Those are really the only things that will factor into any future issues about this car.
I would imagine if he had any documentation, the current owner, assuming it was properly acquired by an insurance company after the loss and was legally resold, would be very interested.

Which is why this would be a great item to post up in the ORPHAN section (hint, hint, again... )
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

? The OP is looking for the car to either sell or give parts to the new owner... or at least that's what it reads to me. It doesn't appear he is making claims the car is still his.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer 2.0
? The OP is looking for the car to either sell or give parts to the new owner... or at least that's what it reads to me. It doesn't appear he is making claims the car is still his.

Yeah, as I re-read this thread, the OP starts by stating he has stuff that the current owner might want, but mentions its stolen. Is annoyed by the fraudulent claims of originality, but not that someone owns it now,

OP kinda needs to clarify his position on the car.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:23 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

Yeah, as I re-read this thread, the OP starts by stating he has stuff that the current owner might want, but mentions its stolen. Is annoyed by the fraudulent claims of originality, but not that someone owns it now,

OP kinda needs to clarify his position on the car.
Car was stolen from me in 1998, reported to police( I have theft report from police), I was paid by insurance company after police gave up and said no chance of recovery. I had car since 1974 and it was important to me. The car was never recovered according to State Farm and police so no legal title has been issued. I have been searching for my car for 17 years. I'd like to hear from current owner and get this resolved.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:30 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I have been sending PMs back and forth with the OP.

The cars was insured, and the insurance claim was paid. The car, at that point, became the property of the insurance company.

What is not clear is how the car went from being a stolen project to an NCRS top flight.

The car retained it's original VIN tag through all of this.

This VIN is NOT listed as a stolen car in NICB.

MY guess is that the car was recovered after the claim was paid. The "theft recovery" car was sold by the insurance company.

The new owner(s) then restored the car to NCRS specs, and campaigned the car through NCRS and Bloomington.

The OP says he still has some original parts for the car. He also says the car was originally a fuel injected car.

The car is now a restored and highly awarded 270 hp 2x4 car. The car was sold at Barrett Jackson Palm Beach in March of 2015.

The OP is not claiming any ownership of the car, but seems to want to "history" of the car to be known to the Corvette community.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:32 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
Car was stolen from me in 1998, reported to police( I have theft report from police), I was paid by insurance company after police gave up and said no chance of recovery. I had car since 1974 and it was important to me. The car was never recovered according to State Farm and police so no legal title has been issued. I have been searching for my car for 17 years. I'd like to hear from current owner and get this resolved.
Contact the owner that campaigned the car through NCRS and BG. I sent you the contact info via PM.

State Farm would most likely NOT inform you that the car was recovered. They paid the claim on the car, they owned it at that point. It was their's to sell.

Now, if the car was NEVER actually recovered, that is a different story.

But the bottom line is that you no longer have any legal interest in the car.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Contact the owner that campaigned the car through NCRS and BG. I sent you the contact info via PM.

State Farm would most likely NOT inform you that the car was recovered. They paid the claim on the car, they owned it at that point. It was their's to sell.

State Farm says the car was never actually recovered.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What a can of worms for the OP and the new owner. Someone's about to have a very bad day.

Retrofit an FI?

I can't figure out why it was never put on the hot list if they never "found" it. State farm....

Obviously the original owner Gerry has an attachment to the car, he's looked for it for 17 years, although it only took a few days here to find it....

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 05-22-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:16 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

OP states State Farm never recovered, now what?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

The OP was paid an insurance settlement. What legal ownership interest would the OP have in the car?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:35 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
Get what resolved?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fullcontrol
OP states State Farm never recovered, now what?
State farm could go after the car, but they won't.

They aren't like the several self centered assh**** that had clapped out old cars stolen, and didn't mind getting a $70K-$100K fresh resto handed back to them 15-40 years later.

Doug
Old 05-22-2015, 07:13 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZDoug
State farm could go after the car, but they won't.

They aren't like the several self centered assh**** that had clapped out old cars stolen, and didn't mind getting a $70K-$100K fresh resto handed back to them 15-40 years later.

Doug
I hope you never have to go through this. What your describing is NOT how it works.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:37 AM
grumpy10956
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys , I have following this post , I am a little lost , what does OP stand for ??
Old 05-23-2015, 12:50 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Think man think! The person that started the thread the Original Poster.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone recognize my lost 61 I have parts for it.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:30 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I am not real knowledgeable with this process!

But in consideration someone has located a stolen car! But first sounds like State Farm has as usual screwed up again, don't ask me why I hate them and they should have gotten Jerry's car listed up as a stolen vehicle wherever that is all done. And if the vehicle is recovered, they the world would have that info, so they "State Farm" could choose the disposition direction to go in if ever recovered. There has to be that fine print in the policy or pay-out clause I would think about the victims right or no rights upon acceptance of the claims pay out. I would think you could hand write something that you want to reserve the right to get the car back if ever found, but only by paying back the entire settlement only!

I would say State Farm should be contacted to see if they would accept what they paid out back 17 years ago, in the current. Then it would be Jerry's car! Some crook circumvented the Law. And I would think that if that could be coordinated, then the present Owner should have a Lawsuit against someone in the Chain of title (carefully researched) and maybe even against Jerry's State farm for not doing what they should have to get the Vin recognized as a stolen car (dropping the ball, unless they have good fine print) or even a lawsuit against the local Police who should have gotten it put up as stolen properly when it was first stolen or the DMV. I would like to see a guy get his car back!

I think after reading this, i will be talking to my new non-State Farm agent (I have USAA now) about Clauses if stolen.

On my little insurance matter, My old State Farm agent Charlene in Buena Park and State Farm after over 20 years as a customer with her and them, did nothing to help me on my accident that caused damage below my deductible to help me get the other party that rear ended me held responsible. That other party had Zurich who agressively threatened me with a lawsuit for a false claim! I got a threatening lawyers letter to sue me and have me prosecuted by them, so they are a good insurance company! I couldn't believe how the party that rear ended me could turn it back on me with her strong insurance company, and i had taken pictures at the scene of the lady and my vehicle hit with her writing by hand info in my notebook on the rear deck of my car, but her and Zurich claim she never hit me. State Farm would not back me up with some muscle, leaving me to go after the matter solo against a powerhouse insurer!

I doubt that Jerry will find anyone who could do something for him or is willing to at State Farm!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-23-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:13 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

State Farm says the car was never recovered.

But that does not mean that is was not recovered.

State Farm has no interest in getting into the middle of a battle between the former owner and the current owner if they recovered and sold the car.

Also, it could be that the recovery records have been destroyed after a period of time.

Last but not least, State Farm may have decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble to chase this car after all this time. I am sure they didn't pay out the current value of the car, so it may be that they just decided to wash their hands of it.

The car was at one time registered in Alabama. Alabama does not title cars that old, and it is very easy to get a registration for an old car in Alabama. The registration is your proof of ownership.

I provided the OP with the contact information for the person that campaigned the car through NCRS and BG (which came right off the internet).

The OP got a settlement, so the car is not his. State Farm has decided not to chase this, and that is their option.

Not sure what else anyone could / should do at this point.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

17 years ago when it was stolen, regardless of a cash payout, the rightful owner didn't want cash, he wanted his car back. Cash was a poor substitute in my opinion for a car he was attached to.

Thinking of my own car.....I have no intention of selling it and the money I would get would not replace my car I've owned for 35 years. It's PART of me and my past. And I deserve to get it back if it's found, regardless of what the bogus owners have fraudulently changed on it.

It should be possible to actually trace that car back to the THIEF! If the trail is that easy to find so far, it should be no problem to find out who the first person to register it was after the rightful owner, and charge them with grand larceny.

Quick Reply: anyone recognize my lost 61 I have parts for it.