C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Are American Classic the same as Coker Classics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Are American Classic the same as Coker Classics?

https://www.cokertire.com/p205-75r15...wall-tire.html

I understand that the reviews of Coker Classics for C2 tires are not great, and that Diamondbacks are a better choice. Are American Classics sold by Coker, and others, the same as Coker Classics?

There is a $100. per tire difference between the American Classics and the Diamondback white wall for '65 Corvettes.

I appreciate any feedback.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If you want white walls you can get name brand new tires at any local tire store for under 80 bucks a tire
Old 02-22-2015, 08:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Snake
There is a $100. per tire difference between the American Classics and the Diamondback white wall for '65 Corvettes.

I appreciate any feedback. [/SIZE]
There's a reason for that - Diamond Back doesn't manufacture tires - they buy brand-new radials from brand-name manufacturers, made in modern high-volume radial tire plants, then apply (vulcanize) whatever sidewall you want (red, white, blue, gold, etc.) in whatever width you want at whatever distance from the rim that you want.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
If you want white walls you can get name brand new tires at any local tire store for under 80 bucks a tire
Tell me where? ;-) 205/75/15, 1" whitewall, about 1" from the rim, Firestone is fine, or other major brand.
I have not found any.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There's a reason for that - Diamond Back doesn't manufacture tires - they buy brand-new radials from brand-name manufacturers, made in modern high-volume radial tire plants, then apply (vulcanize) whatever sidewall you want (red, white, blue, gold, etc.) in whatever width you want at whatever distance from the rim that you want.
Thank you for that insight, but are American Classics the same as Coker Classics?

Last edited by A-Snake; 02-22-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Thank you for than insight, but are American Classics the same as Coker Classics?
YES it says so right on there web site
Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
YES it says so right on there web site
Thanks, I missed that
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

I'll contact Tire Rack, they only say .5" to 1" stripe and no photos
Old 02-22-2015, 11:25 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Cooper trendsetters. Not quite 1". Many of us here are using them with lots of good reviews.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Tell me where? ;-) 205/75/15, 1" whitewall, about 1" from the rim, Firestone is fine, or other major brand
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Cooper trendsetters. Not quite 1". Many of us here are using them with lots of good reviews.
I agree with Chattanooga.
I have the Cooper Trendsetters. They do everything I expect from a tire.
.....minimal sidewall graphics for about $65 each
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 AM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I agree with Chattanooga.
I have the Cooper Trendsetters. They do everything I expect from a tire.
.....minimal sidewall graphics for about $65 each
Plus I just found out there is an $80. rebate till the end of the month on a set of four Coopers through NTB.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Plus I just found out there is an $80. rebate till the end of the month on a set of four Coopers through NTB.
I love mine. I will say this- when we all write or read about massive suspension mods versus enjoying the cars with their engineered hardware:

You can only ask "so much" of a 215/205 and 75/70 aspect tire. They will be worlds better than a bias ply, but no matter what you spend such a narrow tire with a high sidewall by today's standards is never going to act like a 275/45 or some such tire on 17" rubber that doesn't fit stock and wouldn't look good if it did. There is some "old sports car aura" you can expect from these tires to be enjoyed or lived-with depending on your perspective. Unless you have a need for a wide whitewall as on a C1 or a red/gold/blue line on your C2 I see no reason to pay diamondback prices. Again, my vote to Cooper.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cooper 205/75's
Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

https://www.cokertire.com/p205-75r15...wall-tire.html

I understand that the reviews of Coker Classics for C2 tires are not great, and that Diamondbacks are a better choice. Are American Classics sold by Coker, and others, the same as Coker Classics?

I appreciate any feedback.
I responded to your other posting about looking for used wheels and radial tires, so I thought that I could help you out here. After an extensive search for 205/75R15 WW's that are NOT 1", I decided that Coker and Diamondback are padding the price of a normal tire that we can buy easily for @$80. The Cooper Trendsetter is one and the Uniroyal TP (Tiger Paw) AWP II is the other. Note: After reading reviews and MANY documented NTSP complaints on the Cooper Trendsetter tire belt separations , I've decided that I'll go with the Uniroyal! They are $82.95 through Walmart and $80.99 with free shipping through Tirebuyer.com. Tire Rack carries the basic 1" ww tires that aren't correct for these C2's.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:33 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That's pretty shocking about the coopers I'll have to look.

Edit: I'm still looking but so far I see a recall on many coopers made in a range during August 2006...

Second edit: I see from what I think is just this one nhtsa recall for trendsetters made in 2006. Broadly searching for trendsetter failures gives me no cause for alarm. I do appreciate the heads up that made me look, however!

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 02-23-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:19 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

That's pretty shocking about the coopers I'll have to look.

Edit: I'm still looking but so far I see a recall on many coopers made in a range during August 2006...

Second edit: I see from what I think is just this one nhtsa recall for trendsetters made in 2006. Broadly searching for trendsetter failures gives me no cause for alarm. I do appreciate the heads up that made me look, however!
This history of safety issues for many years doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about these tires. I've read rave reviews about the Uniroyals.

http://car-and-safety.com/cooper-tre...er-se-9999.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Are American Classic the same as Coker Classics?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:38 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for posting that link Ken. I read them, it looks like a couple of the reports were stemming from that 8/06 recall, as for the other 3-4 instances judging by the make/model/mileage of the cars it's hard to say that poor inflation and alignment were not also factors. You can't know for sure I realize. I have to think there are many thousands of cars on the road getting great service with them. Maybe I'm not being cautious enough.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Thanks for posting that link Ken. I read them, it looks like a couple of the reports were stemming from that 8/06 recall, as for the other 3-4 instances judging by the make/model/mileage of the cars it's hard to say that poor inflation and alignment were not also factors. You can't know for sure I realize. I have to think there are many thousands of cars on the road getting great service with them. Maybe I'm not being cautious enough.
Cautious?! Oh no, now I think we're back over at that C2 power brakes thread! LOL I just haven't found any negative reviews on the Uniroyals. And I was originally leaning towards the Coppers because they're supposedly made in the USA. Flashback to 1977 when I bought a new Corvette, with Firestone 500 tires. They started to split on the entire sidewall, but the dealership blew me off. I got rid of the car in 6 months, and then after numerous serious accidents nationally (due to the splitting), Firestone issued a recall. I decline the crash test dummy job now.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by big block ken
Cautious?! Oh no, now I think we're back over at that C2 power brakes thread! LOL I just haven't found any negative reviews on the Uniroyals. And I was originally leaning towards the Coppers because they're supposedly made in the USA. Flashback to 1977 when I bought a new Corvette, with Firestone 500 tires. They started to split on the entire sidewall, but the dealership blew me off. I got rid of the car in 6 months, and then after numerous serious accidents nationally (due to the splitting), Firestone issued a recall. I decline the crash test dummy job now.
My wife tells me often that I'm worth much more dead than alive...

Quick Reply: Are American Classic the same as Coker Classics?