C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Epoxy or gel coat over 20 yr glass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default 64 Corvette

Excellent summation and closing statement!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I will stand CORRECTED and apologize for my reply...I replied to a comment about washing a Corvette in DAWN and went back and read it again. The process is to wash first with DAWN...then it gets sanded. And NOT washed after it was sanded to bare fiberglass....which is how I commented. WHICH I know some people do and have done with success.

All I know is that I do not wipe exposed fiberglass with wax and grease remover. If people have success with it. I am TRULY glad they have mastered it. For me...it is just a chemical blend that I do not want to introduce to the porosity of the fiberglass and not get it all out. Not knowing if blow/wiping of the panel right after the initial wipe....just do not know.

I get it where some people feel I am uptight and ready to blow a circuit. But these people have no idea on the passion I have for what I do....seriously...no idea....and are generally the same people I am commenting to what they wrote that I do not agree with. I am not going to sit by and act like I agree with it...when I don't. I am not name calling and if some people feel I am harsh...they are entitled to their opinion and I went back and read what I wrote and I just do not see where the harshness comes into anything at all. Just because I type in capitol letters and sometimes bold them out.... does not mean I am yelling....it conveys importance in what I am writing. Much like instructions you get for installing something. If the company wants to make sure you understand its importance...they will use capitol letters and some times bold print them also. It does not mean like they are yelling at a person as if they were incompetent.

Here is where I have a problem. When people comment and write 'things' that do not make sense..I respond. I really do not care about how they do whatever they feel is the way they like to do things. If a person finds a method that works for them...GREAT! If they use a method that works for them and I do not like something about it....that just does not make sense...I will respond. Because in many cases they do not go into full detail on their process so a person doing this for the first time will read what was written...do it...fail and 'wonder what they did wrong'....and what was wrong was a lack of critical information providing even the smallest of critical procedures that make that process effective. Similar to getting a recipe for toll house cookies and the person completely left out the flour in the recipe. How good do you think that would turn out.

Which is why I try to cover as much as possible when I reply and not leave out the details.

I can not grasp on how gelcoat can not bond to prepped fiberglass the same way and when resin and fiberglass re-applied to it when it is being applied in a mold. THEN...how does resin stick to factory fiberglass that has been sanded??? The viscosity and cure times are not that far apart. I just do not grasp that logic...and makes no sense. Once again...it is getting to know how to use gelcoat and what 'tricks' can be done to take many potential issues out of the equation. The bonding adhesive that sticks to prepped fiberglass and it is thicker than gelcoat...go does it stick? This is how my mind works when I read comments. SO if I come across as being "whatever'...then understand that if a comment makes complete sense and I agree with it....I respond appropriately.

When I have so many Corvettes out in the real world and the process that I have chosen and perfected is providing a perfect end result. There is NO REASON for me to change. Why mess with success???

I have no reason to get and test SPI epoxy...but I will...just to see what benefits it may offer in some of the later year models I work on...so I will get it and test it...but I seriously doubt that I will keep ordering it in due to all the products I need and use are readily available and are delivered to me. But I will give it a try and keep OPEN -MINDED.

TCracing CA,
I am having a hard time trying to figure out which troll I would be. The hair style fits. But the color of hair is where it am lost. The wife says I am more the aqua color. So I guess that is who I am...unless someone else claimed it.

John McGraw and 64 Corvette.
For what it is worth....in my opinion....GREAT responses.

DUB
Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Just wanted to save the troll calling and where it came from

Originally Posted by MrPbody
What is it about painters who "do this for a living" that makes them so uptight and hostile about anyone who does things differently than they do? Oh, they're all very careful to (yell) their short little disclaimers. for example: ["When I write the 'stuff' I write I am NOT trying to 'force feed' people into doing it MY WAY. AND BY NO MEANS am I EVER NOT wanting ANYONE to express their views or experiences."] like that really makes the long drawn out string of mis-quotes and false accusations that always follow all ok. well it doesn't. I'm always happy to hear how other people do things. we should all be able to learn from each others successes and failures. I have, in fact, used gel coat in the past, and stated that in a previous post. I was shown a way that works better for me, and that way is by using SPI, or other high quality epoxy primer. If you prefer gel coat that's fine by me, and I've NEVER said it was "a product that always fails". in fact I know it works just fine. I just don't care to hassle with it when there is a vastly easier product to use that provides a 100% equal end result.
To everyone else reading this I apologize for feeding the trolls. I'm just really sick of being mis-quoted and otherwise mis-represented by these goofs.

Russ
Infamous Post #31 immortalized! And I can rock one of the troll looks!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-01-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default gelcoat

To much reading but I would for sure go with Elkers gelcoat, great stuff

Quick Reply: Epoxy or gel coat over 20 yr glass?