C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Original engine vs. Original paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:44 PM
DC10
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Original engine vs. Original trim color

Hello forum. I have been looking for a for awhile for a C2 in the price range that I wanted to spend. I originally wanted 1965-67. Numbers matching engine, color, and trim. Good condition; no project. Somewhat selective on colors (silver, red, blue preferred).

I have gotten to the point that I am willing to give in on something. I am considering either giving up on the original motor, or the original color as these appear to be what I'm finding in my price range (+/- $50k).

I think that I may know the majority view, but wanted to get your thoughts. Can you comment on which, in your opinion, would be the preferred route.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by DC10; 02-24-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by DC10
Hello forum. I have been looking for a for awhile for a C2 in the price range that I wanted to spend. I originally wanted 1965-67. Numbers matching engine, paint, and trim. Good condition; no project. Somewhat selective on colors (silver, red, blue preferred).

I have gotten to the point that I am willing to give in on something. I am considering either giving up on the original motor, or the original color as these appear to be what I'm finding in my price range (+/- $50k).

I think that I may know the majority view, but wanted to get your thoughts. Can you comment on which, in your opinion, would be the preferred route.

Thank you so much.
Ignoring what many sellers say, almost NO 50-year-old Corvettes have their "original" engines; buy it for correct paint.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 PM
V1Rotate
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess that just depends on the weight you put on originality whether it be paint/color or mechanics. What's most important to you? Some say original paint since you know what's under that and there won't be any mysteries when it comes time to repaint if that's your plan. Then the other school of thought is original motor is best so you can say it's "number's matching" and impress people who are easily impressed! A color change car may have been done since Mauve and Gold wasn't attractive then and it's not attractive now! Sometimes that may increase a value of an otherwise mundane cruiser.

It just depends on what you plan on doing with the car, and despite what some say, you actually can buy a car because it's what you want regardless of it being no 100% factory correct. Like what you see and the price is reasonable, buy and enjoy!

Best of luck.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Good advice. Original paint is different than original color. Very few have original paint that is presentable. A few here on this forum do. I have some original paint in places, but it's toast.

I have an original lower hp l75 engine and except in the rare event of a resale- where it would make the transaction maybe easier- I could not care less. That's just me.

Now as to v1's comment... You can't go making fun of Saddle Tan. There are an amazing number of people on this forum who think it's the bees knees. It takes all kinds! (If I was not posting from my phone I would put up the little guy hiding under a chair)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:48 PM
DC10
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Good advice. Original paint is different than original color. Very few have original paint that is presentable. A few here on this forum do. I have some original paint in places, but it's toast.

I have an original lower hp l75 engine and except in the rare event of a resale- where it would make the transaction maybe easier- I could not care less. That's just me.

Now as to v1's comment... You can't go making fun of Saddle Tan. There are an amazing number to people on this forum who think it's the bees knees. It takes all kinds! (If I was not posting from my phone I would put up the little guy hiding under a chair)
Thank you. To clarify I meant original color. Or maybe better said, the color that is on the trim code. Not looking for the original paint. Thank for pointing out this distinction.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

My vote goes for original engine, if it's the real deal. .. Hard to imagine original paint looking fairly decent 50+ years on. . .. At least paint is 'replaceable'; not so original engine.

Still wish I had the original engine in my car. A bad connecting rod came apart and took out block back in '74.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If you're not going for judging points and you're not paying for "correct", it doesn't make any difference in the value of the car to YOU! Just don't pay extra for it.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Color that matches the Trim tag should not really be that difficult to find.
Original engine, (ie, truly born with original) is extremely difficult to find in a running car at your price-point, or any price-point. So called numbers matching is somewhat common, but that raises price a bit. If I were you and needed to stay around 50K I would focus in 66s, or 65s, and would not worry about original engine. Correct color to match Trim tag and a good original nose and tail body if you can find it would be a very good car, especially with some options.
Good luck
Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

I wouldn't worry about either of them. Just buy one you like in the best condition you can find within your price range. In my opinion, a good solid car trumps matching anything.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

As an alternative, you could look for a 64 that has great paint in the color you want and matching #'s. Convert to disk brakes if you want (I assume that's why you're looking at 65 up), but drive it some before you make that decision.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:32 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zoomin
As an alternative, you could look for a 64 that has great paint in the color you want and matching #'s. Convert to disk brakes if you want (I assume that's why you're looking at 65 up), but drive it some before you make that decision.
Solid advice, but be cautious: once you have owned the best year midyear, a '64, you will probably never be quite as happy with a SWC or '67.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
BINGO... with Steve.

-Bruce
Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by DC10
Hello forum. I have been looking for a for awhile for a C2 in the price range that I wanted to spend. I originally wanted 1965-67. Numbers matching engine, color, and trim. Good condition; no project. Somewhat selective on colors (silver, red, blue preferred).

Thank you so much.
There's one consideration about original motors that doesn't get mentioned too often. I have the original motor in my car but sometimes I wish I had a NOM. Every time I want to get on it and wind it out a little, I get a little nervous when I hit around 4,500 - 5,000 RPM thinking about that 50-year old engine and I back it off. I've never even gotten close to redline. Maybe I'm overly cautious but once the original engine is gone, it's gone and that premium price I paid for the original is up in smoke. If it was a NOM, I wouldn't give a hoot how I drove it.

So, if your goal is to find a car to have fun with rather than a numbers matching car you're going to campaign for trophies, you might consider a NOM and let the fun begin.

-- Steve
Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Solid advice, but be cautious: once you have owned the best year midyear, a '64, you will probably never be quite as happy with a SWC or '67.
JSB, you are treading new ground here. ..
Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrg
JSB, you are treading new ground here. ..
I've just always loved '64's for a few of the year only touches. It's not my fault they're a little less expensive car for car ! (No cheers sign on my phone)
Old 02-24-2015, 06:12 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by V1Rotate
I guess that just depends on the weight you put on originality whether it be paint/color or mechanics. What's most important to you? Some say original paint since you know what's under that and there won't be any mysteries when it comes time to repaint if that's your plan. Then the other school of thought is original motor is best so you can say it's "number's matching" and impress people who are easily impressed! A color change car may have been done since Mauve and Gold wasn't attractive then and it's not attractive now! Sometimes that may increase a value of an otherwise mundane cruiser.

It just depends on what you plan on doing with the car, and despite what some say, you actually can buy a car because it's what you want regardless of it being no 100% factory correct. Like what you see and the price is reasonable, buy and enjoy!

Best of luck.

Don't tell me saddle isn't attractive, lets do black for the 1,000,000,000 time

Cheers

Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jasonsamara

Jason - I like saddle. I'm thinking how outstanding that saddle interior would look with a repro teak wheel.

-- Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Original engine vs. Original paint

Old 02-24-2015, 06:20 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
There's one consideration about original motors that doesn't get mentioned too often. I have the original motor in my car but sometimes I wish I had a NOM. Every time I want to get on it and wind it out a little, I get a little nervous when I hit around 4,500 - 5,000 RPM thinking about that 50-year old engine and I back it off. I've never even gotten close to redline. Maybe I'm overly cautious but once the original engine is gone, it's gone and that premium price I paid for the original is up in smoke. If it was a NOM, I wouldn't give a hoot how I drove it.

So, if your goal is to find a car to have fun with rather than a numbers matching car you're going to campaign for trophies, you might consider a NOM and let the fun begin.

-- Steve

Steve... I'm runnung a NOM block in my '64, and I always drive ***** out, pedal to the floor in it because the original is in my barn.

-Bruce
Old 02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by StingU2
Steve... I'm runnung a NOM block in my '64, and I always drive ***** out, pedal to the floor in it because the original is in my barn.

-Bruce
I agree with you. I literally have that car barricaded in my garage because they are only original once. On the flip side my 60 is not even close to being correct with a NOM and I just drive and drive and drive
Old 02-24-2015, 06:27 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingU2

-Bruce
Hey Bruce, can I take a drive in your car? <LOL>.

-- Steve

Quick Reply: Original engine vs. Original paint