C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brother n laws 59

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:20 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brother n laws 59

Well ,I'm definitely going to get my bro n laws 59 over to my shop and work on getting it running/drivable, we ordered 4 tires from Zip this morning.I need a little help though on the ID of the engine that's in if anyone can help the stamp on the front block deck is FI228WA and the cast number on the block back next to the bell housing is 3849852.I also took this number of the carter carb 2366S K5 under the number.Any help identifying this stuff appreciated.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress in this new thread!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Curious why you needed to buy tires from a resto house.

But WA is a truck 283/175 used either in 65-66.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Thanks Nowhere Man, I just thought that I wouldn't be able to find them locally.Even though the engine is not correct for car,I think almost everything else is.I figured that I should try to keep as much stuff original as possible but maybe I'm wrong.The engine will be my first thing to tackle as since its a 283, I can find anything I need for it locally.Brakes will be next and there I might need some advice on what to go with.Thanks for any advice on what to use and where to find it.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:55 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Default Block casting numbers

I just searched the block casting numbers on BILs 59 and what I found for #3849852 is 57-66 283 2 bolt main.Like I said earlier the engine stamp appears to be FI-228WA, I would like to be certain that this is /or not the numbers matching engine.Any help appreciated,I have three books ordered that will help in the future but I don't have yet.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is no "WA" stamp pad suffix for a '59 Corvette engine - pretty simple.
Not original...
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cajunclicker
Thanks Nowhere Man, I just thought that I wouldn't be able to find them locally.Even though the engine is not correct for car,I think almost everything else is.I figured that I should try to keep as much stuff original as possible but maybe I'm wrong.The engine will be my first thing to tackle as since its a 283, I can find anything I need for it locally.Brakes will be next and there I might need some advice on what to go with.Thanks for any advice on what to use and where to find it.
I didn't look up what tire you may have bought from zip, but be warned original bias ply reproduction tires are NOT going to be a positive if you are planning on your brother really driving this car. And diamondback will make you a wide whitewall radial, and your local tire store will sell you an excellent radial for much less if you want a black wall or thinner whitewall.

PS I have gotten excellent service ordering from ZIP every time.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I just searched the block casting numbers on BILs 59 and what I found for #3849852 is 57-66 283 2 bolt main.Like I said earlier the engine stamp appears to be FI-228WA, I would like to be certain that this is /or not the numbers matching engine.Any help appreciated,I have three books ordered that will help in the future but I don't have yet.
As was pointed out earlier, you have a TRUCK engine. The casting number of 3829852 tells us it is a 65-66 engine. The engine pad decodes as follows:

F = Flint
I228 = assembly date of Dec 28th
WA = 283, 175hp, 2bbl, manual trans in a truck
Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I didn't look up what tire you may have bought from zip, but be warned original bias ply reproduction tires are NOT going to be a positive if you are planning on your brother really driving this car. And diamondback will make you a wide whitewall radial, and your local tire store will sell you an excellent radial for much less if you want a black wall or thinner whitewall.

PS I have gotten excellent service ordering from ZIP every time.
The tires we ordered are Firestone non-radial with 2-11/16 white wall.We could have paid more for Radials with 2-1/2 whitewall.You think screwed up?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The tires we ordered are Firestone non-radial with 2-11/16 white wall.We could have paid more for Radials with 2-1/2 whitewall.You think screwed up?
It's just that the car will be way safer and much more enjoyable on radials. Bias plies are show tires. Most here would agree.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
It's just that the car will be way safer and much more enjoyable on radials. Bias plies are show tires. Most here would agree.
Thanks chat I'll see if I can cancel order and get BIL to go with radials.I really like the look of the wide whitewall even though it not nos. matching.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks chat I'll see if I can cancel order and get BIL to go with radials.I really like the look of the wide whitewall even though it not nos. matching.
You may already know this, but, I'll just mention it anyway.... the radials make a giant difference in how the car rides and handles. I had original type bias ply for years on my 58, and finally switched over to the radials. I should have done that right from the beginning. Could hardly have imagined the difference in ride that they make. Like night and day. You won't be sorry with the radials.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Well ,I'm definitely going to get my bro n laws 59 over to my shop and work on getting it running/drivable, we ordered 4 tires from Zip this morning.I need a little help though on the ID of the engine that's in if anyone can help the stamp on the front block deck is FI228WA and the cast number on the block back next to the bell housing is 3849852.I also took this number of the carter carb 2366S K5 under the number.Any help identifying this stuff appreciated.
The first thing your concerned with is numbers ??????????????
No offense but is the motor stuck, gas tank clean, frame rust, front suspension king pin setup sloppy, items I would deal with first. Numbers never made a car run / handle / be safe to drive on the highway. Priorities are like opinions, ...... everyone has them. Maybe I am a minority.
Good luck on the progress.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:57 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Post some pictures when you can!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
The first thing your concerned with is numbers ??????????????
No offense but is the motor stuck, gas tank clean, frame rust, front suspension king pin setup sloppy, items I would deal with first. Numbers never made a car run / handle / be safe to drive on the highway. Priorities are like opinions, ...... everyone has them. Maybe I am a minority.
Good luck on the progress.
We already know the engine is a NOM. so at this point I'm with you. Make it safe and fun
Old 02-28-2015, 12:13 AM
cajunclicker
Advanced

I got my bro n law to call zip and talk to them about changing the tires we ordered to radials,but they had already shipped the bias tires.They had told me it would be about 2 weeks, tracking said they would arrive this evening.I did get him to order the three books that Revfan recommended, they should be in soon.I'm working 12 hour days until Wednesday but if tires make it in soon I will be getting car over to my shop late next week.I took a couple more pics.
Attached Images     
Old 02-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That car will need a lot of love; particularly under the hood!

Get notified of new replies

To Brother n laws 59

Old 02-28-2015, 08:16 AM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That car will need a lot of love; particularly under the hood!
Ye,but that's my favorite part.What do you think I should use on that pitting like stuff on the chrome trim etc?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a fun project. I like the colors.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Ye,but that's my favorite part.What do you think I should use on that pitting like stuff on the chrome trim etc?
There is no help for that short of re-plating....

If things are bad enough, and you aren't fanatical about originality, replacement window frames complete with all chrome parts and glass are available for like $2,200... But then you would still have to deal with the pitted door posts...and side view mirror.

Getting this stuff straight will be a significant expense no matter which route you take...

Quick Reply: Brother n laws 59