C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need C2 retrofit power steering advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default Need C2 retrofit power steering advice

Hi all - Well, as the title says, I need some advice about retrofitting my '67 sbc convertible with power steering.

The Short story

It has no other power options; the only things driven by the belts are the alternator and the water pump.
- what is the best kit to use? Borgeson?
- the potential complication is that it has a ZZ4 crate motor with aluminum heads in it. What about attachment points/brackets for the pump in that set up? Alignment with pump, damper, and alternator belt grooves?
- It also has McJacks shorty headers
- Is there a serpentine belt conversion kit that I should look at?
- What about a smaller diameter steering wheel that will mount to the existing hub and have the same style as the original wheel?

More details

I am 6 weeks out from a heart bypass operation - you know, the kind where they crack open your sternum and wire it back together when they're done. I am doing well, but any twisting or lifting actions are out for a while. At 65 years old I had been getting tired of the "armstrong" steering for a while, and this is the perfect time - and necessity/justification - to do something about it!

Consequently, 'tho, I won't be doing this one myself. I will be a "checkbook jockey" on this one. So:
- what's a reasonable amount of labor/hours to get this one done?

I do have a good mechanic for old Corvettes here in the area.

Thanks for any and all input. I may only check/post here intermittently for a while.

Thanks again,
Glenn

PS - here's an old pic (before I cleaned up the engine compartment) of what my set up looks like.
Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I hope this helps some. I put the Borgeson PS on my '67 SB orig engine. The pump bracket mounts to the face of the block and the forward motor mount bolt. I see you have double crank pulley, that may align with the PS pump pulley, but I'm not positive. I do not know if your headers will interfere with the new box. The steering shaft must be shortened. Some people cut and some slide it up into itself (unique to '67 on) to make the fit. Also, you may need to slightly adjust the location of the brakeline junction that is ahead of the box. This conversion is one of the best improvements you can make. Dennis
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

While I have installed this or driven one that has had it done, Steeroids offers a Power Rack & pinion that requires no mods to steering shaft or anything else. I think that this would be the unit I would get or an original set up.

Labor hours should be maybe a day or and half days depending on skill sets, tools, or rusted bolts/nuts.

DonO
Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

you are 65. have you tested the new c7? Time for a test drive! If you don't like it, then do the PS.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
you are 65. have you tested the new c7? Time for a test drive! If you don't like it, then do the PS.
How ridiculous to say that a C7 has anything in common with a 67.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

You should be able to bolt up a factory PS pump just fine. The vortec heads are different only in the ports and manifold/valve cover attachment. All the Gen 1 accessory bolt holes should be there. You may need a custom bracket for the driver's side tensioner bracket mount if you're running headers. These are available lots of places.

Go withe the Borgeson kit. The Borgeson steering box has a 12:1 ratio compared to the factory 16:1. You'll like the steering a whole lot better with the tight ratio.

Best wishes for your speedy recovery
Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Seeing as you have time why not shop around for the OEM Units? There's plenty to be found if you look. I did this with my 67 and couldn't be happier. Good Luck with the Surgery. These things come and go so try and stay calm about it. (I've had over 50 Surgery's fighting Cancer and understand your Fears). Al W.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 PM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

There are also electronic power steering kits that you could consider. Here is one maker of them.
http://www.usautoperformance.com/epas/
Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Thanks to all who have replied!

Looks like I am still looking for input on a potential serpentine belt conversion and also a smaller diameter steering wheel.

As to a C7 instead - uh, no! I've owned this '67 for 44 years now, will never get rid of it, and intend to leave it to my grandson. Also. I already have a C6 Z51 - with power steering - and so am pretty much updated even at the ancient age of 65..... Lastly - not to open an old issue on this Forum, but I really don't care for the rear styling of the C7.
Thanks for the suggestion, 'tho
Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 PM
markiemyster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Tuxnharley,

I have a similiar setup.
I used a chevy serpentine system. If you need more info like a part number let me know and I'll look up what I bought. You'll have to change your water pump to a reverse flow. I notice you have McJacks headers on a crate engine with vortec heads. That is my dilema right now. I purchased a set of McJacks exactly like yours to go on my Blueprint crate engine and because a vortec head has the spark plugs closer than a standard head my inside spark plugs come close to hitting the two center tubes so if I put the wires on the plugs the boots would touch the headers.
Any one have a solution for headers that are made for a vortec head and fit in the tight space of a C2 like the McJacks. I hate to go back to the ram horn originals.

Thanks, Mark
Old 03-29-2015, 11:37 PM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HS Vette
There are also electronic power steering kits that you could consider. Here is one maker of them.
http://www.usautoperformance.com/epas/
I think these are really cool. Watch this video.

Last edited by dudman; 03-29-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dudman
I think these are really cool. Watch this video.

EZ Electric Power Steering from American Powertrain - YouTube
Electric PS have a reputation for removing 'road feel' compared to hydraulic systems. That reputation proved correct when driving my brand new BMW 6 series...which I sold after 2 years, could not get used to it.

It would be unfair to judge the EZ EPS without having driven it, still may be a good idea to ask for a test drive in case you would consider
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Murbear
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little late here but I just had the steroids rack and pinion installed on my 66 SB coupe. I went with the March aluminum V belt pulleys which gives you a third pulley on the crank for the pump. The rack system drives great with no bump steer. I had my local alignment shop install it for $400. He is an old hot rodder who commented this kit was much better than the Flaming River kits he had installed on other cars. (Just his opinion). With cost of the kit plus a chrome Borgeson pump and brackets, you are very close to 2 Grand but I do not regret one penny of it. I'm 58 and the manual steering was not much fun in tight spaces. As far as a smaller steering wheel, I'm still looking. I'm also considering a tilt column from Ididit. All of this bolt on so anyone can restore it if they dig the car up after I'm gone!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:56 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have the Steroids system as well. I already had PS so the pump was not an issue. I have had it on the car for two years with zero issues. You give up a little in turning radius but I love the steering. The sterring is quick and there is no play. I considered going to a smaller diameter wheel but never did. I just couldn't give up the teak wheel. I would suggest you get a lower steering column bearing before you start. It took about 4 hours to install. I had minor binding with the column in the original position. We adjusted the column per Speed Directs instructions and that took care of the binding. I love the steering, no regrets.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Small wheel

Here is the wheel I use for every day driving. $180 -+ from most vendors.

I put the original on when I want to be correct, but I love the small one. You do not have to noch the hub as some do. I just screw it on

Jack
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Need C2 retrofit power steering advice

Quick Reply: Need C2 retrofit power steering advice