C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedometer cable won't seat on a '58

Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 AM
Carmen1964
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer cable won't seat on a '58

Hello,
Is there a trick to getting the speedo cable to seat to the back of the speedometer on a 1958? Previous owner put a new cable in, but it wasn't properly connected at the back of the speedometer. Just made a clicking sound and no movement of the needle. The cable appears to line up but it doesn't seem to slot all the way down and the threaded connector doesn't thread easily. I've tried rotating the cable to drop in what I think is a slotted gear, but so far no luck. Is it just trial and error or am I missing something else?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You have something amiss....that cable should seat easily and tighten without issues. Sometimes you have to jiggle it some to get it fully seated but, other than that, should go right on. I've installed them upside down under the dash where just three fingers could get up there to install it...
Old 02-26-2015, 06:20 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Default cable

Check the length of the new cable, make sure it's not too long.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Solid Axle Guy
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like cross threaded threads.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Y0GI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be a pressed-on ferule on the transmission end of the cable. If the cable is installed backwards, this ferule may be causing the problems that you are having.

Yogi
Old 02-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Carmen1964
Navigator

Thanks guys. The cable is not installed backwards. Checked that. It may be too long though. I don't feel the cable slotting into anything. I wonder if the problem could be in the speedometer itself.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:34 AM
Solid Axle Guy
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Carmen. Do you have an old cable that you know is defective? If so here's a thought. Pull the old defective cable out of the casing. Use your wire cutter to cut off as much length as you want at either or both ends. Insert the cut end in a "Screw gun." Tighten the chuck on it. BE SURE to put the gun on REVERSE so it spins counter clockwise. Insert the squared end of the cable into the back of your speedo & spin it counterclockwise. If you get the same clicking & no needle movement then in all likelihood your speedo needs to be rebuilt.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I would be suspicious that the previous owner put in an incorrect cable. There is a reason it was never connected.....
Old 03-02-2015, 02:06 AM
Carmen1964
Navigator

Thanks everyone for the help. Turns out the reproduction cable was too long. I filed it back about 1/16 " and all is well. Appreciate the suggestions.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Now you have me second guessing. After my restore my tach worked for about 10 minutes and then stopped. I purchased a reproduction cable and I can't get it in far enough to catch the threads. I assumed a broken piece of the old cable was inside he tach. Now I'm wondering if I might have the same problem. Anybody else ever see this? The Cable came from CC as did most everything else with mostly no problems.
LP
Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 AM
Carmen1964
Navigator

Originally Posted by Larry P
Now you have me second guessing. After my restore my tach worked for about 10 minutes and then stopped. I purchased a reproduction cable and I can't get it in far enough to catch the threads. I assumed a broken piece of the old cable was inside he tach. Now I'm wondering if I might have the same problem. Anybody else ever see this? The Cable came from CC as did most everything else with mostly no problems.
LP
Larry, my cable was from CC as well. I sent you a PM for someone near you that can help.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer cable won't seat on a '58

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer cable won't seat on a '58