C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Where to hide computer for ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 PM
TOM WILLARD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to hide computer for ls swap

I have c2 with ls swap but not sure where to hide the giant computer. Wires aren't long enough to get it behind seats. Too tall to go under seat and there doesn't seem to be any space under or around dash. Hopefully I am missing some prime spot. Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Doesn't the company you bought it from make 'plug/play extensions' for just such a Delimma/problem?

What if you took out the glove box liner?...
Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 PM
TOM WILLARD
Instructor

Thought of both things. Not sure it would even fit without a glove box and am going to research a extension right now. Was hoping there is some magic place to put it that I just am not seeing. You know what they say, two pairs of eyes are always better than one. Problem is I feel blind right now.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Tom. .
A good spot you might consider is the underhood area behind the left front fender. Installing cruise control in my car, the electronic control module is of fairly good size. I felt the module was too big for an under dash installation. I also didn't want to give up the glove box to accommodate the module .

Under the hood the module went. ..The mounting bracket that came with the cruise control kit was modified so that it would fit underneath the bolt head of the front left (#1?) body mount. The bracket was cut to fit. A "U" shaped channel was cut at the bracket end so it could slide under the bolt head, then tightened down.

A zipper type plastic bag was used to cover the module and wiring harness to keep dirt and moisture out.
John
Old 02-27-2015, 02:56 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I would seriously consider under the hood with the plugs facing a convenient way. If you dont mind the aesthetics of it under the hood you will appreciate it in the future if you ever have to diagnose a wiring problem. Trying to backprobe a connector while lying on your back on the floor board with a flashlight in your mouth and both hands deep in the backside of the dash sucks! More and more OEMs are putting the ECMs under the hood and as a driveability tech I applaud them for it.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

I put mine behind the shallow glovebox you get with a Vintage Air system.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 PM
TOM WILLARD
Instructor

I took out the glove box liner and it's seems like the easiest spot. I can also mount the fuse box in there. All I need is a custom box liner.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,169 Likes on 487 Posts

I raised my passenger seat 1.5" on wood to put a power amp under it. My wife (5') loves it, but my friend (5'11") not so much.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:08 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I put mine against the passenger side firewall inside the engine bay. the vintage air setup had a flat side that was big enough to use some rivnuts.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:19 PM
TOM WILLARD
Instructor

Default Got it figured out

Fabled a bracket and took out my glove box. I just need to make a custom box now. I couldn't find the vintage air glove box. I will still have half the glove box left and easy spot to mount the fuse box. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I customized the center of my dash, removed the clock and radio and installed a center vent with vintage air controls. I put the ECM in the center where the radio once was.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have always kept them in the engine compartment, where GM put them. I never understood the need to move them inside the car. You just have to make a huge hole in the firewall for the connectors to go through, and then you have to seal the wires after the fact. On my C1 cars. I mount the ECM to the driver's side splash pan. and on my C2 cars, I mount them under the driver's side fender. Both locations make the installation invisible to the casual observer, and it does not eat up limited space in the interior.

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To Where to hide computer for ls swap

Quick Reply: Where to hide computer for ls swap