C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Old 61 purchace chance?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Blue Flame-less Joe
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Old 61 purchace chance?

My terminix guy has turned me onto a 61 vette for sale. The car belongs to an older woman and she says the car was her dads. I'm checking the car out Saturday. What do I need to look for? what info can you get from the vin?
Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Look for missing parts. Take a good look at pictures of existing cars on the web.

Look for rust areas inside behind the rocker panels. Look for any repairs underneath the body. You should not see any paint underneath so finding repairs should be easy enough. Get the vin number off of the frame and check the vin. The vin on the frame is on the top of the frame rail on the driver side underneath the seats.

Take lots of pictures (the more the better). Find someone who you can trust who knows about C1s and see if they can give you a good idea what to look for. If you have questions post it here while you can think of. Take notes on what you see.

Check the fender areas for cracks underneath the wheel wells. Look for rust on the frame or anything which might seem someone has repaired the frame.

Missing parts means spending money to replace the parts... Factor in what you think it will cost to replace parts. Look to see if it has two tops. It might be only a convertible or hardtop only car.

Original paint? Original motor? Look for the id on the transmission. check to see what type of brakes it has on it (RPO). If it has a large gas tank then buy it! RPO racing options.

Lots of info just on that... Take your time and make sure you have everything you need to give an accurate number. I would not advise to make an offer without knowing what is there...

Restomod? Gasser? Ex race car? Any certificates or information on the car? Duntov or Bloomington gold? has the car been judged? Does the paperwork look like it is all there? A fuelie? What type of transmission is in it? What is the engine? Make sure to research the engine.

Take your time... Vin will only give you close the build date is all.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 02-27-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Blue Flame-less Joe
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

How can I tell if it has a big tank or big brakes? RPO?

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Look for missing parts. Take a good look at pictures of existing cars on the web.

Look for rust areas inside behind the rocker panels. Look for any repairs underneath the body. You should not see any paint underneath so finding repairs should be easy enough. Get the vin number off of the frame and check the vin. The vin on the frame is on the top of the frame rail on the driver side underneath the seats.

Take lots of pictures (the more the better). Find someone who you can trust who knows about C1s and see if they can give you a good idea what to look for. If you have questions post it here while you can think of. Take notes on what you see.

Check the fender areas for cracks underneath the wheel wells. Look for rust on the frame or anything which might seem someone has repaired the frame.

Missing parts means spending money to replace the parts... Factor in what you think it will cost to replace parts. Look to see if it has two tops. It might be only a convertible or hardtop only car.

Original paint? Original motor? Look for the id on the transmission. check to see what type of brakes it has on it (RPO). If it has a large gas tank then buy it! RPO racing options.

Lots of info just on that... Take your time and make sure you have everything you need to give an accurate number. I would not advise to make an offer without knowing what is there...

Restomod? Gasser? Ex race car? Any certificates or information on the car? Duntov or Bloomington gold? has the car been judged? Does the paperwork look like it is all there? A fuelie? What type of transmission is in it? What is the engine? Make sure to research the engine.

Take your time... Vin will only give you close the build date is all.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:04 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_(C1)

If you see the gas filler outside of the body and no space for a convertible top then you know it is a big tank car.

http://www.libertyship.com/rpo/default.htm
Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Blue Flame-less Joe
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I know it is a fuelie and has a hard top. The woman knows nothing else about the car.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:48 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Flame-less Joe
I know it is a fuelie and has a hard top. The woman knows nothing else about the car.
LOOK for the mounting bracket for the air cleaner. Only FI cars had it.

Then confirm the windshield washer shown here on driver side IS NOT IN PLACE. It was for CARB CARS ONLY. Fuel Injection cars had the washer bottle on the PASSENGER SIDE. SO TWO ITEMS TO LOOK FOR......AND CONFIRM THE VIN TAG IS ON THE STEERING COLUMN AS SHOWN

Last edited by jimgessner; 02-28-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:25 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get cash, authenticate a real C-1 with VIN tag, settle on price....... If within your budget write the check, call the tow truck, remove quickly.
One never knows who else has been informed about this car. I would worry about who and what it is later. These cars don't fall out of the sky often and to have one in your back yard is fabulous.
In the past couple years I have only found a couple available in my price range .... and wouldn't you know the one I want is on again, off again for sale. Being I really like the basic car, we have settled on a price. Just a matter of the current owner " letting loose ". I understand with fifty years of ownership this can be difficult. I keep in touch regularly . It's not advertised so that is a plus. Leads from associates ( like buying a lottery ticket ) can result in a purchase.
The part that is golden for me is meeting older owners with their history and perspective. Interesting doesn't even come close, ... priceless !
Good luck.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Pics! Pics!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:51 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default I agree with above

1- RUST FREE CHASSIS
2.-UNDAMAGED BODY
3.- COMPLETE AS POSSIBLE

The rest of it is fun in restoration.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:02 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,121 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Blue Flame-less Joe
Another thing to look for is the oval hole behind the distributor.
Joe

Old 02-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm in... post pics!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Blue Flame-less Joe
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The car was a Fuelie 275 hp car. She no longer has the FI unit. Good no hit body though. Needs all new chrome. She was asking $30,000. My corvette expert said not worth it. If it was a 315 hp car with the FI unit it would be a good one to buy. Not the right car for me.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:54 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think your "Corvette" expert is wrong. Just a good no hit body and frame will bring 20K or better all day long. If I were closer I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Remember, 30K is the asking price. I'm not sure what you were planing to do with it, but if it's a keeper, I think the price is very reasonable. If your going to try and flip it...well that may be another story. I guess it all depends on what your looking for. As always...this is just my opinion.
Chris
Old 03-01-2015, 03:54 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Don't walk away!

Maybe she'll be flexible enough in the price to make it of interest to you.

How was the frame?

Pat
Old 03-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,029 Likes on 669 Posts

I just looked up the 275 horse FI option in the NCRS Spec Guide and they list only 118 Corvettes with that option which they show as costing $484. Of course, that's the way 'it was' and not the way 'it is' so that definitely effects the value but as already mentioned, if the rest is in good shape and not rusty in need of major work and she's negotiable on the price, might be worth a second look. Any other pics of this 61? Does it have both tops?
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 03-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Blue Flame-less Joe
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The frame is rusty. It does have the hard top. But every seal on it and the rest of the car are dry rotted. I have a very nice 57 currently so I'm not looking for another C1 but if I came across a car that would be worth the money to restore and flip I would not hesitate. Just not the car for me.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:23 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Joe, p.m. sent

Get notified of new replies

To Old 61 purchace chance?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

not worth it???????????????????

nail that car right now!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

sounds like a good deal. I would see if you can get it for 30k or less. Probably you can get it for 28K. That would be a good deal. How much rust?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:07 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

A no hit body is as good as it gets. An engine is an engine, whatever. Original engine nice to have but a NHB is much more rare.

Believe the low hp FI tach was driven by the generator. 315 hp has the oval cut out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old 61 purchace chance?