C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Can This Really Be A Possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:24 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can This Really Be A Possibility?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...e-for-gasoline
Old 02-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I don't care my car runs fine both ways the sky didn't fall yet
Old 02-27-2015, 04:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

My cars run fine on E 10. Still, I'd like to see the mandate end if for no other reason than to get government out of private business and catering to special interests making them billions in profits at my expense.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I don't run ethanol blended gas so I don't have an opinon one way or the other.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:54 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
My cars run fine on E 10. Still, I'd like to see the mandate end if for no other reason than to get government out of private business and catering to special interests making them billions in profits at my expense.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

It is insane to take food and make gasoline out of it. I'm all for less meddling in my life by politicians. OTOH I give this bill 0 chance of passage.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 PM
64vetteorig
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding is the corn used to make ethanol is not edible corn, it's field corn. Supposedly some corn that is used in some processed food is same. From what I understand it's basically a load of crap and is all speculation in terms of it affecting food corn prices.

While I'm stuck in CA and I hate the stupid 91 and Feinstein as well I do recognize e85 is a performance fuel. It's used in many cars with extreme engines/timing like the c7r race car in the Tudor series, and favored by people with turbo 4 cylinders. I don't think it should be banned or anything. The main issue to this is a 20% reduction in mileage for an average performance car vs premium, that is where the real draw back lies IMO, besides requiring hi pressure fi system etc. I'ts also not that much cheaper than premium and hard to find e85.

I wish the country took mandates like that a little more seriously before trying to impose them on us.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 64vetteorig
My understanding is the corn used to make ethanol is not edible corn, it's field corn. Supposedly some corn that is used in some processed food is same. From what I understand it's basically a load of crap and is all speculation in terms of it affecting food corn prices.

The main issue to this is a 20% reduction in mileage for an average performance car vs premium, that is where the real draw back lies IMO, besides requiring hi pressure fi system etc.

I wish the country took mandates like that a little more seriously before trying to impose them on us.
Really, not edible corn and not affecting food prices? They feed the corn to cattle and WE eat the cattle.

20% reduction in fuel mileage. Really, alcohol has about 70% of the fuel value that gasoline does so the mileage reduction would be 3%

I wish you would take the question more seriously before dismissing the facts.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:24 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
Really, not edible corn and not affecting food prices? They feed the corn to cattle and WE eat the cattle.

20% reduction in fuel mileage. Really, alcohol has about 70% of the fuel value that gasoline does so the mileage reduction would be 3%

I wish you would take the question more seriously before dismissing the facts.
Which brings up the point of WHY do they feed corn to cattle in the first place? Cows are supposed to eat GRASS!!!
Old 02-28-2015, 07:25 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

When it comes to gas we're stuck with what's ever is available and what ever the price on the pump is. The price is more volatile than the product. Which IMCO comes down to we really have no input at all. If you want to drive your car you have to buy what's available at what ever the posted price is and if you're not paying cash expect to pay more.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:13 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

the corn lobby who pays off congress to the tune of millions won`t like it.....errr excuse me the corn lobby that donates millions won`t like it.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Which brings up the point of WHY do they feed corn to cattle in the first place? Cows are supposed to eat GRASS!!!
Cows are fed corn to help with digestion. Corn is allowed to ferment in bunkers. The gas that forms during fermentation aids this. We here in Vt. have been feeding corn for as long as I can remember.
We have 93 oct. ethanol free available here.

Get notified of new replies

To Can This Really Be A Possibility?

Quick Reply: Can This Really Be A Possibility?