C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frame restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 PM
KNIPPS
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Frame restoration

I am helping my father in law get his 67 vert up and running. He had it body on restored about 10 years ago and didn't touch the underside. I joke with him about doing a body off since I did mine over the last few years. The only bad thing is his frame is nowhere near as good of shape as mine was. So...what I need is a place close to Illinois that can fix some frame rot (I really don't know how bad it is) and make sure the frame is structurally sound. The car did spend its life in the midwest so it could be bad. Its a #'s car so I would like to see it done right. Thanks Jim
Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by KNIPPS
I am helping my father in law get his 67 vert up and running. He had it body on restored about 10 years ago and didn't touch the underside. I joke with him about doing a body off since I did mine over the last few years. The only bad thing is his frame is nowhere near as good of shape as mine was. So...what I need is a place close to Illinois that can fix some frame rot (I really don't know how bad it is) and make sure the frame is structurally sound. The car did spend its life in the midwest so it could be bad. Its a #'s car so I would like to see it done right. Thanks Jim
Just a different perspective just in case it may apply.

JIM,
I can not suggest any shop in your area. And I hope you can find one. But doing this for a living...if you are all caught up in keeping the numbers correct. I would have to seriously take a good look at eh frame and see how bad it is. SOMETIMES the frames are so bad...that even if sent out for repairs that can cost very close to or exceed the cost of a new frame with fresh steel...that is what I often times have to advise by customers. Because if you are stuck on keeping the original frame...get ready to spend some major $$$$ depending on where the rust/rot is located. AND if you do not have it repaired correctly....TRUST ME...someone like me can tell real FAST that is has been worked on...due to seeing so many frame over the years.

I often times have to get a friend who can come by and use a tool he has that can measure the gauge of the steel...so I can show the owners that half of the thickness of the frame has been lost to rust. Because it has happened before....and what is the point on restoring frame that is not structurally sound and the original. And you would be amazed on how many people still want the car off-framed and done up with a frame that is NOT SOUND. I just do not get it. And I let them go find someone else who is willing to jump through 'hoops' like a circus monkey and do whatever they want...even when it is WRONG....but still want a GUARANTEE.

I TRULY hope it all goes well and can be repaired CORRECTLY and be RIGHT at the same time.

DUB
Old 02-27-2015, 06:30 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by KNIPPS

I would go and talk to Bob at Classic Motors in Naperville, IL. Or Bob Sinlar at corvette mikes. They both are not far from you. They might know someone. I think Bob in Naperville would know someone or he could it for you. Also, Frankfort cruise nights were fun!

Last edited by jimh_1962; 02-27-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Sent you a PM with some suggestions.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:41 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
I would go and talk to Bob at Classic Motors in Naperville, IL. Or Bob Sinlar at corvette mikes. They both are not far from you. They might know someone. I think Bob in Naperville would know someone or he could it for you. Also, Frankfort cruise nights were fun!
Bob "Stretch" Zimmerman at Classic Motors is one of only two I'd let wrench on my 1967 vert.

Classic Motors
475 Industrial Dr.
Naperville, IL 60563
630-357-5170

Bob "Emo" Sindelar at Corvette Mike no longer turns the wrenches, he's more into the management side. He is also as knowledgeable as Stretch.

Tell either I said Hi

PM sent as well.

Don Olson

Last edited by vetsvette2002; 02-28-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 AM
KNIPPS
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Frame

Thanks fellas, now its just convincing him to restore the frame...I will take some pictures and post them to see what you think. Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Frame restoration

Quick Reply: Frame restoration