C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedo does not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
56CorvGuy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo does not work

Since I purchased my '56, the speedo has not work. With cable connected to both tranny and speedo, there is no movement at the speedo when driving. So to troubleshoot this problem, I was considering connecting a portable electric drill at the tranny end of cable to see if the problem lies with the cable and/or the speedo. The speedo has never be overhauled as far as I can tell. Assuming the cable/speedo are working after this test, what is there to look for on the tranny side?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-01-2015, 04:42 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by 56CorvGuy
Since I purchased my '56, the speedo has not work. With cable connected to both tranny and speedo, there is no movement at the speedo when driving. So to troubleshoot this problem, I was considering connecting a portable electric drill at the tranny end of cable to see if the problem lies with the cable and/or the speedo. The speedo has never be overhauled as far as I can tell. Assuming the cable/speedo are working after this test, what is there to look for on the tranny side?
Thanks,
Ron
A stripped plastic driven gear
Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

not sure if you know this or not, when you test it with a drill make sure that the drill is in reverse.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:33 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

It is NOT necessary to connect a cable/drill to the speedo. Simply disconnect the cable from the back of the speedo and grasp the end of the speedo fitting with your thumb/finger and spin it. Observe the speedo needle to see if it moves up. If no movement occurs to the needle, then likely the issue is with the speedo.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedo does not work

Quick Reply: Speedo does not work