C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spare tire with restomod chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Spare tire with restomod chassis?

Does anyone carry a spare tire in a C1 restomod, which has a small modification in the spare tire well for the differential pumpkin. I'm referring to C4 chassis restomods in C1 cars in my case.

If so what space saver (or other) tire "exactly" did you use? ...and where did you acquire it?

A pic of the arrangement would really be great if you have one.

Thanks...Stan
Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 AM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Does anyone carry a spare tire in a C1 restomod, which has a small modification in the spare tire well for the differential pumpkin. I'm referring to C4 chassis restomods in C1 cars in my case.

If so what space saver (or other) tire "exactly" did you use? ...and where did you acquire it?

A pic of the arrangement would really be great if you have one.

Thanks...Stan
Try runflat tires. Don't need a spare :-)
Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Joe..

But that's not an option. I have Stockton custom made offset steel wheels with wide white walls on Michelin tires from Diamondback.

Best regards...Stan
Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have a spare in my wife's '62. The car has 16" wheels and the spare is a 16" space saver from an '84 Corvette. I actually had the "opportunity" to use the spare a few years ago in the wilds of southern Alabama while on a trip to Texas.

Below is a picture when under construction and a few more of the completed tire well.

Tire size is T155/80D16

Charles
Attached Images    

Last edited by cbernhardt; 03-09-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey thanks Charles..

That looks like it will work well in my tub too. I believe I may have a little more room than you do. Do you know the dimensions of that spare by chance. It stays inflated all the time..right? (...rather than having to be inflated to be used).

By the way..what did you use to elevate the spare tire lid (the black material in the pic), it looks very neat...opposed to something that would have to be cut out to fit.

Thanks again..Stan
Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been rolling my 62 restomod project around on GTO spare tires from 2004-2006. I think they are the same as in some C5 vets? They clear big brakes and are light 5 spoke setup…should fit into the wheel tub also...
Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Hey thanks Charles..

That looks like it will work well in my tub too. I believe I may have a little more room than you do. Do you know the dimensions of that spare by chance. It stays inflated all the time..right? (...rather than having to be inflated to be used).

By the way..what did you use to elevate the spare tire lid (the black material in the pic), it looks very neat...opposed to something that would have to be cut out to fit.

Thanks again..Stan
The material around the top of the tub is 1/2" round foam insulation material. I made an aluminum lid that fits on top of the insulation and fits flush with the bottom of the trunk floor.

Don't have a measurement on the spare wheel/tire, but from the tire size is should be about 25.7" in diameter. Yes, I keep it inflated.

I have a GTO spare in the shop. If I get a chance I will try it in the spare tire well.

Charles
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Charles..

I have a wood spare cover in good condition...but it isn't flush with the floor... so I need something to raise it a little.

Tim..

I hadn't seen a GTO spare before. They might be easier to get ...at least one that isn't quite as old as the S10 spares. Maybe not too...?

From the looks of them they may be taller than the S10 spare ..and raise the spare cover up above floor level..?

Either way I'd be interested in how one fits the well Charles if it's not a big hassle...

Thanks for the help guys..

Best regards...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 03-09-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:36 AM
dunney
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is an odd question, but it's absolutely crossed my mind before.

A friend of mine asked me how he could shoehorn a spare in his '59, and I remember thinking one of my old Dodge Caravan spares would fit (perhaps, minus inflation).

We never tried it (and the soccer mom is long gone), but I advise you to think outside the box. See if Ma Mopar or Henry Ford has some comparable sizes (Mustang II? - or is that 4 lug?).

Just remember - not pretty, just temporary, and you're covering it up. Maybe also get a 12V air pump to inflate if need be.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know if any one has thought about what you are going to do with the flat tire after you install a space saver. If your like me for a car show in the summer I always carry a pop up canopy, a couple of chairs, cleaning supplies and a cooler. If your running non stock tires they may not fit in the spare tire tub.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dunney
This is an odd question, but it's absolutely crossed my mind before.

A friend of mine asked me how he could shoehorn a spare in his '59, and I remember thinking one of my old Dodge Caravan spares would fit (perhaps, minus inflation).

We never tried it (and the soccer mom is long gone), but I advise you to think outside the box. See if Ma Mopar or Henry Ford has some comparable sizes (Mustang II? - or is that 4 lug?).

Just remember - not pretty, just temporary, and you're covering it up. Maybe also get a 12V air pump to inflate if need be.
Good thought and exactly what this thread is about.

Hopefully it will turn up all space saving type wheels with a 5x4 3/4" lug pattern that will work.

S10 spares are getting hard to find in good shape...and rightly so, they haven't made S10's in many years.

The latest model space saver from any manufacturer would be preferable...if there is one that will fit.

Figuring out what it is is the trick...

Stan
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

I tried the GTO spare in my tire well and it did not fit. The diameter of my '84 space saver tire measures 25.5" and the diameter of the GTO is the same; however I have M&H Racemaster P185/55R17 tires on the GTO spares and the extra "bulge" of these tires is a lot more than the stock space saver tire and the bulge hits the small ledge in the front of my tire well. The stock GTO spare would probably fit, but I don't know for sure.

On long trips I also normally carry a lot of stuff in the trunk, and when I had my flat I piled a lot of it under my wife's feet until we found a town with a tire store.

Charles
Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
I don't know if any one has thought about what you are going to do with the flat tire after you install a space saver. If your like me for a car show in the summer I always carry a pop up canopy, a couple of chairs, cleaning supplies and a cooler. If your running non stock tires they may not fit in the spare tire tub.
No stock tire will fit in the tub of my restomod...

I'm sure I'll have plenty of junk in the trunk including a bungee cord or strap to hold the trunk lid down as much as possible after loading the flat tire... at least till I can limp into the next tire shop or Walmart.

I wouldn't go farther than necessary to get the tire fixed so it wouldn't be a big deal in an emergency...I've had to travel with a trunk bungeed down several times in my long life.

Now I have been in a situation when "not" having a spare would have been a "very" big deal...
Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I tried the GTO spare in my tire well and it did not fit. The diameter of my '84 space saver tire measures 25.5" and the diameter of the GTO is the same; however I have M&H Racemaster P185/55R17 tires on the GTO spares and the extra "bulge" of these tires is a lot more than the stock space saver tire and the bulge hits the small ledge in the front of my tire well. The stock GTO spare would probably fit, but I don't know for sure.

On long trips I also normally carry a lot of stuff in the trunk, and when I had my flat I piled a lot of it under my wife's feet until we found a town with a tire store.

Charles
Beat me to it Charles...

Thanks for trying the GTO spare..maybe someone will chime in that has a stock tire on one?

Stan..
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Another place you have temporary storage capacity would be in soft top well if your not running with a hardtop with the soft top stored.
I've had to use the soft top well on more than one occasion to store a 5" or larger disassemble trophy home.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Another place you have temporary storage capacity would be in soft top well if your not running with a hardtop with the soft top stored.
I've had to use the soft top well on more than one occasion to store a 5" or larger disassemble trophy home.
10-4 Richard..

Do you store your soft top "off " the car when running the hardtop?

If so... is it hard to get it readjusted to fit when you reinstall it?

Thanks...Stan
Old 03-10-2015, 11:05 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

We took the soft top off the '62 and run the hardtop all the time. Our seats tilt forward so we have access to the empty space under the soft top lid. It's amazing how much stuff you can put in there.

Charles
Old 03-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I was thinking about doing the same thing....my soft top doesn't fit well anyway.

I was wondering if it was hard to get refitted when reinstalled....or just mark the bolts and pit back in the same place?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

I was thinking about doing the same thing....my soft top doesn't fit well anyway.

I was wondering if it was hard to get refitted when reinstalled....or just mark the bolts and pit back in the same place?
Just mark where your hinges are located now with masking tape or a maker pen before removing.

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire with restomod chassis?

Quick Reply: Spare tire with restomod chassis?