C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Update - Attaching Decklid Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:17 PM
ph31mwl
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Update - Attaching Decklid Problem

Well, got it all apart today and retrieved the nut plate from the bottom of the drain gutter. I am going to try to post pictures of how I did it.

Since the Forum members advised me that the metal reinforcement crossmember is only riveted to the fiberglass rain gutter with aluminum rivets I got out my oscillating tool put the cutting edge between the metal reinforcement crossmember and the rain gutter where the rivets are located and cut off the rivets. Once the rivets on the bottom were cut I put a wide blade screwdriver between the metal reinforcement crossmember and the rain gutter where the rivets on the back side are located and hit the screwdriver with a hammer. In no time the metal crossmember came off the rivet head and it was free. I then took the oscillating tool and cut an opening on the bottom of the rain gutter where the nut plate is suppose to be. And there it was laying on the bottom of the rain gutter. Pulled it out and media blasted it and the reinforcement crossmember. Crossmember is not in great shape on the ends, guess the rain gutter was leaking. Will have to braze a piece of metal on each end to strengthen where the rust holes are.

Putting it back together should not be too bad. I plan on pop riveting the nut plate back on using the same holes, and will drill a couple more holes to add a few more pop rivets just for additional security. Will then fiberglass the slot I made to the the nut plate out, and rivet back in. Since the original rivets are still sticking out all along the back of the rain gutter (I beat the crossmember off of them) I can use them as a guide and just put the crossmember back on them, drill more holes and pop rivet the back and bottom of the crossmember to the rain gutter. And that should do it.

Tried to attach pictures but it appears they are too big. I will work on it and see if I can attach later.

I would like to thank all the responders to my request for assistance with this problem.

Mark
Old 03-15-2015, 05:28 PM
ph31mwl
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Still am unable to get pictures to attach. If anyone is interested in pictures please send me a PM.

Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply: Update - Attaching Decklid Problem