C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 FI won't start all of a sudden - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

This is why I asked in post #51 if you figured out your prior problem with timing. Why not just put your timing light on #1 plug wire and spin the engine over and see where your timing really is?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Try it using one set of points.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Utahcarguy
Ok now I feel dumb. I went back to the store and got the right tester. I connected everything correctly, turned ignition on and no light.

Then, I rotated dist cap counterclockwise until the light came on.

I tried starting the car and it just cranks and it seems to be cranking slowly and with difficulty.

I also made sure that the pointer on the rotar was 180* from #1 when I did the test. I read elsewhere that should be where it's at when doing static timing.
Utahcarguy
I have not followed the whole thread so forgive me if you already know this.
You said "Then, I rotated the dist cap counterclockwise until the light came on"
It"s a problem if you locked the distributor at that point. The spark plug fires when the points OPEN. When the points open the field in the coils primary collapses inducing voltage in the secondary.
You should have rotated the distributor till the light came on then backed it off till the light went off. Lock it at the point the light goes off.
CUL Jim
Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_C
Utahcarguy
I have not followed the whole thread so forgive me if you already know this.
You said "Then, I rotated the dist cap counterclockwise until the light came on"
It"s a problem if you locked the distributor at that point. The spark plug fires when the points OPEN. When the points open the field in the coils primary collapses inducing voltage in the secondary.
You should have rotated the distributor till the light came on then backed it off till the light went off. Lock it at the point the light goes off.
CUL Jim
Jim C, I locked it once the light went on as I rotated counterclockwise. I haven't had a chance to work on the car since this time, but my plan is to retard the distributor enough so the engine seems to crank easily(basically your advice without using the test light but rather listen to the engine). Once I get it started I can work on dialing in the timing a bit better.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim C, I locked it once the light went on as I rotated counterclockwise. I haven't had a chance to work on the car since this time, but my plan is to retard the distributor enough so the engine seems to crank easily(basically your advice without using the test light but rather listen to the engine). Once I get it started I can work on dialing in the timing a bit better.

Thanks for your help.
Utahcarguy
It's really pretty simple to set initial timing. If you set the engine to 10 degrees and rock the distributor so the light alternately goes on and goes off, then set it to the exact point the light goes off, the spark will happen at 10 degrees. Good luck!
CUL Jim
Old 04-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim_C
Utahcarguy
It's really pretty simple to set initial timing. If you set the engine to 10 degrees and rock the distributor so the light alternately goes on and goes off, then set it to the exact point the light goes off, the spark will happen at 10 degrees. Good luck!
CUL Jim
I tried this last night and still had issues. I pulled all the plugs to see if I had hydro lock and I didn't. The car cranked easily with the plugs removed. I put them all back in and it struggled to crank again. Turns out, it was my battery.

I hooked up a jumper box on the car and it cranked much better, but still didn't fire! I'm headed to work on the car again this afternoon. Anything else I should try?

As a note, I have my old CSV installed in the doghouse, but I disconnected the other side of it. Instead, I have a long hose connecting to where I am sucking on it while cranking. I've also tried just plugging the hole. She still hasn't fired up.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Y0GI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the plugs still "wet" like they are getting fuel?

My '63 FI failed one time because the flex cable between the distributor and the high press. fuel pump broke. Sounds like this might be a long shot for you though.

Yogi
Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Y0GI
Are the plugs still "wet" like they are getting fuel?

My '63 FI failed one time because the flex cable between the distributor and the high press. fuel pump broke. Sounds like this might be a long shot for you though.

Yogi
Thanks for the tip, but I have my cable exposed outside the cable housing so I can see it working properly. And it's new
Old 04-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Y0GI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tip, but I have my cable exposed outside the cable housing so I can see it working properly. And it's new
Cool! One less item to worry about.

Yogi
Old 04-17-2015, 12:02 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

That doesn't mean it is turning the pump just because you can see it turn without the housing. There are short cables and long cables and there are good pump shafts and worn pump shafts where the cable fits.

Have you tried squirting some gas into the plenum as suggested several times a week ago to see if that will make it hit? If you have, I haven't seen it.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeM
That doesn't mean it is turning the pump just because you can see it turn without the housing. There are short cables and long cables and there are good pump shafts and worn pump shafts where the cable fits.

Have you tried squirting some gas into the plenum as suggested several times a week ago to see if that will make it hit? If you have, I haven't seen it.
Mike, I replaced the pump shaft. I know it turns the fuel pump because as I said in weeks past, I did a flow test with the unit of the car.

Unless I'm missing something, a flow test would prove the unit is working correctly as long as gas squirted out when vacuum was applied and the shaft was turning the FI fuel pump.

I did not squirt gas in the doghouse but rather starting fluid and it kicked a little like it was going to start. The FI expert I had over (he has 6 of these things apparently) said the gas would just go down one cylinder while the mist form the starting fluid would disburse more evenly throughout all 8 cylinders.

I hope once my battery is fully charged I can get it to kick over! Jeez. This has been ridiculous.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I did not squirt gas in the doghouse but rather starting fluid and it kicked a little like it was going to start. The FI expert I had over (he has 6 of these things apparently) said the gas would just go down one cylinder while the mist form the starting fluid would disburse more evenly throughout all 8 cylinders.
You should have done this to start with and the second thing you should have done is run your "expert" off your property as he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Raw gasoline won't burn. Vaporized gasoline will.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:07 AM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Default Finally!

So I got the car to start AND run today. I almost shed a tear I was so happy.

To recap this thread...just kidding. As Mike pointed out, my lack of knowledge and understanding about how to systematically diagnose issues, I was all over the board with these problems. I'd like to blame some of that on the fact that the difficulty was compounded by having multiple issues at the same time without knowing it, but in the end, I am just a novice trying to figure things out over the internet.

First it was the Petronix system that failed. That was replaced by good ol' points.

In the process of diagnosing fuel issues, I replaced a component of the FI unit called a Spill Plunger (SP). This interesting device was replaced in case of future potential issues mine was prone to having (wimpy internal spring). It was replaced by the newest rendition called the Thumb Tack SP. I had no idea what it did, but after reading the ST-12 manual, I knew I could install it.

I installed the new SP and didn't give it another thought until today. During the last couple weeks while diagnosing issues, I found that my FI unit would work perfectly off the car during a flow test, but would not run while on the car. I thought the distributor was turning too slow compared to the drill.

I called John De Gregory, where I recently bought these FI parts from, and explained my findings. He explained that the SP acted like a accelerator pump and perhaps b/c the fuel only flowed during high speed drill testing, that maybe that was the issue.

I pulled the FI unit off again and sure enough, the SP was loose in it's location. It had not properly seated with the O-ring. So I lubed it up and got it seated correctly. I started a flow test and it flowed at a MUCH lower speed now. At that point I knew I was golden!

Now the car runs, but it's rough. I used my timing light to get the timing correct (12* at idle on the front driver's plug (#1,right?)), but I'm getting some diesel sounds and rough engine running. At first I thought I was too advanced, so I retarded the dist. and that helped, but the rough running didn't go away. I set the points gaps and timing, but not dwell (needed even if gap is set?)

I also checked all the spark plug wires on the dist and on each plug. I guess there is a chance that one or more of the new plugs is bad and a cylinder or two isn't firing???

I started a new thread. Please see it here

Last edited by Utahcarguy; 04-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless this was already covered, I’d check for moisture inside distributor cap, may of develop a hairline crack. If moisture is present squirt a little WD-40 inside wiping clean with clean with rag. Check for loose or cracked ignition wires. Also replace cap ASAP if moisture is present.

I request an old school mechanic that can be present. Troubleshooting online regardless of experience can lead you down the wrong path and be very costly. Having a good (old school) mechanic live is worth his weight in gold, and you can pick his brain learning valuable information that you can’t find anywhere online.

Hands on, is the key!

Fuelies rule..... rustylugnuts
Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Did you ever get a vacuum gauge hooked up ?

These engines are a big air pump and that gauge is a helluva diagnostic tool. F/I or carbs; doesn't matter !

Quick Reply: '61 FI won't start all of a sudden - Please Help