C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing Scratches on a C2 Convertible Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Removing Scratches on a C2 Convertible Rear Window

Guys,
A customer of mine scratched the rear window on a new stay-fast top I just installed last summer.
Has anyone had any luck buffing the rear window to remove scratches?
I told him I would give it a shot as he will replace the top if it can't be done.
Thanks,

Larry
Old 03-16-2015, 08:01 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Guys,
A customer of mine scratched the rear window on a new stay-fast top I just installed last summer.
I told him I would give it a shot as he will replace the top if it can't be done.
Thanks,

Larry
I contributed my story in another thread not long ago (search it) about this and yes, it can be done. If you're using aggressive pads/polishes I recommend having another person holding a hard-bound book wrapped in a towel against the opposite side and lubricating your working area frequently to minimize the heat and therefore warping/stretching.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
I contributed my story in another thread not long ago (search it) about this and yes, it can be done. If you're using aggressive pads/polishes I recommend having another person holding a hard-bound book wrapped in a towel against the opposite side and lubricating your working area frequently to minimize the heat and therefore warping/stretching.
It's a pain in the ***, it makes a mess, and the improvement is marginal. Better to replace the window. A top guy can handle it easy. Run it through the insurance if you can. In MA we have mandatory no-deductible glass riders.

Dan
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
It's a pain in the ***, it makes a mess, and the improvement is marginal. Better to replace the window. A top guy can handle it easy. Run it through the insurance if you can. In MA we have mandatory no-deductible glass riders.

Dan
Dan,
With all due respect. I am a top guy. It ain't easy. The only way to replace the rear window is to replace the top.
We are thinking of running it through the insurance. i would deal with a mess if the end results are good. Don't forget this is clear vinyl not glass.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Nyny
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Guys,
Thanks,

Larry
I have had real success using mothers plastic polish
Old 03-18-2015, 06:53 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have a lot of vinyl windows on my boat. I have found the best product to polish the vinyl windows is Plexus. West Marine sells it and a can is about $35. It is not going to take a scratch out but will improve it. I use it on my 66 as well.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Try Plexus - it has worked for me on several tough jobs and you've got nothing to lose if the customer is considering replacing the top.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Unlike glass, vinyl windows can have fairly deep scratches removed quite effectively and without a lot of mess - it means you have to do the buffing/polishing by hand and that's prob best anyway under the circumstances. Not that hard and it works...

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Scratches on a C2 Convertible Rear Window

Quick Reply: Removing Scratches on a C2 Convertible Rear Window