C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stainless Steel Repair and Polish

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Stainless Steel Repair and Polish

Hello

I have managed to get all of the stainless steel trim pieces off of my car. I'm looking for someone who can polish and fix stainless steel. I have a 1963 vette and there is damage done from wiper blade on the lower piece and also driverside pillar. I have read some post from other threads from the past. I am also seeing the words "flash chromed" after SS is fixed and polished by some forum members.

I am looking for a someone to fix and polish my stainless steel trim and flash chrome them also. I'm confused how you can tell if its been flashed chromed?? Like a clear coating on SS trim?

One more thing someone got really excited about using ALOT silicon sealant, weather stripping glue, dum dum strip caulking. What the easiest way to strip this?

Thanks
Pete

Thanks

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 03-19-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is a gentlemen up around Daytona way that is at every NCRS meeting in Kissimmee that I've attended and his work is wonderful. He always has a white van, speaks with an accent and has his wares displayed on a tabletop and its all flawless.

Hopefully somebody can remember his info or else I'll search for his card later on. I think Space Coast Plating might do it. It'll be $$$, take forever and their quality has taken a hit lately though.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-19-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There is a gentlemen up around Daytona way that is at every NCRS meeting in Kissimmee that I've attended and his work is wonderful. He always has a white van, speaks with an accent and has his wares displayed on a tabletop and its all flawless.

Hopefully somebody can remember his info or else I'll search for his card later on. I think Space Coast Plating might do it. It'll be $$$, take forever and their quality has taken a hit lately though.
John at J & M Stainless. He is the best
108 N State St, Bunnell, FL 32110
(386) 586-3383
Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,607 Likes on 665 Posts

FYI (quote from a platter)

Flash Chrome Plating
We offer a flash chrome plating service based on Chromic Acid - Chromium Trioxide Flake from Elementis. Our solution is made up of 250g/l CrO3 and Sulphuric Acid at a 100:1 ratio.

Process: Flash hard chrome plating is an electrolytic process utilising a chromic acid-based electrolyte. The component requiring plating becomes the cathode and, with the passage of a DC current via anodes, chromium metal builds on the component surface.

Background: Flash hard chrome plating, also referred to as functional chrome plating, is applied as a thinner layer. It is ideal for close tolerance applications where an excessive build up of chrome is undesirable and where the requirement is to provide a durable hard wear-resisting surface.

Applications: Flash Hard Chrome plating has many typical applications, some of which are detailed below:

Wire wound rods for paper coating
Seal areas on pump or drive shafts
Conveyer guide rails and rollers
Plastic extruder screws
Hydraulic rams and cylinders
Print rollers
Tanks: We offer tank sizes up to 3.6m long.

Thickness: Coating thickness is dependent on the application and the customers’ requirements, which can normally range from 10 to 25 microns. This smaller deposit of hard chrome usually eliminates the need for a grinding operation to finish.

Hardness: Hardness is in the region of 950 - 1150HV.

Materials: Most materials can be Flash Chrome plated, including:

Steel
Stainless Steel
Cast Iron
Copper
Brass
Bronze Alloys
Nickel Alloys
Plating Vats: We have the capacity to chrome up to 3.6metres in length and if you think you may have a possible application for a component not listed, please contact us to discuss this further.

Stopping Off: Selective Hard Chrome plating can be achieved through masking with clamca wax or stopping-off lacquer.

Etching: Etching is carried in accordance with the guidance relevant to the base material being plated. All components are etched before Hard Chrome plating to provide a good key for the hard chrome deposit to be applied.

Jigging: Careful jigging is required for hard chrome plating, taking into consideration current carrying capacity and weight of component. Special attention is necessary for the plating of internal surfaces. One of the characteristics of hard chrome is its poor throwing power, therefore auxiliary anodes maybe required at strategic locations.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by haccpguy
(386) 586-3383
YES! That's the fella.
Thanks....
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

YES! That's the fella.
Thanks....
Hi

I just got off the phone with John. The guy seemed nice and educated me on Chrome flashing. He was patient with all my questions and gave me his thoughts on Chrome Flashing. I'm going to use him to fix and buff out my stainless steel trim. Thanks for your help guys..

Much appreciated

Pete
Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Y0GI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Walling

Flash Chrome Plating
We offer a flash chrome plating service based on Chromic Acid - Chromium Trioxide Flake from Elementis. Our solution is made up of 250g/l CrO3 and Sulphuric Acid at a 100:1 ratio.

Process: Flash hard chrome plating is an electrolytic process utilising a chromic acid-based electrolyte. The component requiring plating becomes the cathode and, with the passage of a DC current via anodes, chromium metal builds on the component surface.

Background: Flash hard chrome plating, also referred to as functional chrome plating, is applied as a thinner layer. It is ideal for close tolerance applications where an excessive build up of chrome is undesirable and where the requirement is to provide a durable hard wear-resisting surface.

Applications: Flash Hard Chrome plating has many typical applications, some of which are detailed below:

Plastic extruder screws
Print rollers

Thickness: Coating thickness is dependent on the application and the customers’ requirements, which can normally range from 10 to 25 microns. This smaller deposit of hard chrome usually eliminates the need for a grinding operation to finish.

Steel
Stainless Steel
Cast Iron
Copper
Brass
Bronze Alloys
Nickel Alloys
Plating Vats: We have the capacity to chrome up to 3.6metres in length and if you think you may have a possible application for a component not listed, please contact us to discuss this further.

Stopping Off: Selective Hard Chrome plating can be achieved through masking with clamca wax or stopping-off lacquer.

Etching: Etching is carried in accordance with the guidance relevant to the base material being plated. All components are etched before Hard Chrome plating to provide a good key for the hard chrome deposit to be applied.

Jigging: Careful jigging is required for hard chrome plating, taking into consideration current carrying capacity and weight of component. Special attention is necessary for the plating of internal surfaces. One of the characteristics of hard chrome is its poor throwing power, therefore auxiliary anodes maybe required at strategic locations.
Thanks for the info, Roger.

This sounds just like regular chrome plating to me. Do you know how "Flash Chrome Plating" is different?

Thanks again,

Yogi
Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hi

I just got off the phone with John. The guy seemed nice and educated me on Chrome flashing. He was patient with all my questions and gave me his thoughts on Chrome Flashing. I'm going to use him to fix and buff out my stainless steel trim. Thanks for your help guys..

Much appreciated

Pete
No problem.

Here is JohnZ's article explaining chrome plating:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
CHROME CONFUSION VS Column.doc (29.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 03-19-2015, 02:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Flash Chrome Plating

Plastic extruder screws
Print rollers

Steel
Stainless Steel
Cast Iron
Copper
Brass
Bronze Alloys
Nickel Alloys

That's industrial hard chrome plating - totally different process than we're talking about on automotive stainless trim pieces.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That's what happens when you use a quote from an unknown Internet source...
Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

(386) 586-3383
John,

Did the polishing on both my 66 vert and 64 coupe, and will most likly do the stainless on my current 64 project.

In fact I'm glad this thread was started, I'd lost J&M's contact info.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:56 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

The local platers I've spoken with will not attempt 'flash chroming' of stainless.
There does seem to be a little confusion about what exactly it is.... and isn't.

I've heard it described as a 'quick dip in the chromium tank', but again, the local platers would not buy into that.. and the stainless steel scares them too.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:28 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like they do have a website:

http://jmrestorations.com/

Old 03-21-2015, 06:11 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just received my door sill covers back from John today. I wish I had before pics.
Attached Images   
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Just received my door sill covers back from John today. I wish I had before pics.
I did my door sills just like yours and they are so shiny that I think that they look out of place and not natural. They just jump right out and stare you in the face!
Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I did my door sills just like yours and they are so shiny that I think that they look out of place and not natural. They just jump right out and stare you in the face!
Well - if you redid them yourself and didn't re-anodize them; then don't worry. They won't stay that shiny for long
Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Well - if you redid them yourself and didn't re-anodize them; then don't worry. They won't stay that shiny for long
Re-anodize? or Chrome plate?
Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Re-anodize? or Chrome plate?
Door sills, grilles and other items were originally anodized...a hard coating to protect a polished surface.

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Steel Repair and Polish

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Repair and Polish