C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 dash cluster replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Gmont
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1966 dash cluster replacement

After removing my dash cluster in my 66 convertible a year ago, I'm ready to re-install it. On the back of the ignition switch there is a terminal for ground, but there is no ground wire in the connector that plugs into the switch and it doesn't appear to have ever been there. I've searched for a spare wire that might go into the connector but can't find one. The wiring diagram in the service manual shows the ground terminal on the switch but doesn't show a wire. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a ground wire in the big plastic ignition switch connector on the 66?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:41 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

This is the Cars For Sale section.

I'll move this to General discussion.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmont
After removing my dash cluster in my 66 convertible a year ago, I'm ready to re-install it. On the back of the ignition switch there is a terminal for ground, but there is no ground wire in the connector that plugs into the switch and it doesn't appear to have ever been there. I've searched for a spare wire that might go into the connector but can't find one. The wiring diagram in the service manual shows the ground terminal on the switch but doesn't show a wire. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a ground wire in the big plastic ignition switch connector on the 66?
The cluster is grounded by a black wire that attaches to the cluster on the top inside of cluster by a spade/plug. Just above the water temp gage
Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you're looking at a connector with nothing plugged into it, you're missing the ignition switch capacitor. It has one mounting screw on the back of the dash cluster and just plugs into that open connector. But if you're talking about an open terminal on the back of the ignition switch, this wouldn't apply. Sorry.

Ignition Switch Capacitor<br/>

Last edited by big block ken; 03-24-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

There should be no wire attached to the GND terminal on the switch.
DonO
Old 03-24-2015, 02:34 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Strange. I wonder if GM installed that ignition switch on another car and used the terminal. Especially since every extra little part is $.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Gmont
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackfit
The cluster is grounded by a black wire that attaches to the cluster on the top inside of cluster by a spade/plug. Just above the water temp gage
Ok, so there is no ground attaching to the switch, just thru the cluster ground. Thx
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Gmont
Instructor

Default 66 dash replacement

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
There should be no wire attached to the GND terminal on the switch.
DonO
I've spent several hours looking for the ground wire, looking at manuals, talking with various people, no one was positive. I can sleep tonight. Thanks for your valuable input. Gene
Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I've spent several hours looking for the ground wire, looking at manuals, talking with various people, no one was positive. I can sleep tonight. Thanks for your valuable input. Gene
The black ground wire is there, and is shown in the Assembly Manual - but it doesn't connect to the ignition switch; it connects to a male spade terminal just above the tachometer.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Gmont
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The black ground wire is there, and is shown in the Assembly Manual - but it doesn't connect to the ignition switch; it connects to a male spade terminal just above the tachometer.
Thanks for the pic and info!

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 dash cluster replacement

Quick Reply: 1966 dash cluster replacement