C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Motor Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Triple Black, your engine sounds great as I have told you before, and you built exactly what you wanted.
My only point is you can build a 400 SBC that drops right in done by a machine shop that pulls like a big dog to 5,800 RPM for less than $4,000, your engine done by a machine shop with parts that are safe at 7,500 RPM would be $8,000 to $12,000.
There is a market and demand for both engines, it is just a matter of how much you want to spend to get exactly what you want.
My engine uses the original forged crank, original block, and original style pistons (Speed Pro). Nothing exotic or radical about it. If the double humps which I ported had not been ruined by the installation of hardened exh seats, then they'd still be on the engine. Torque and power are down with the double humps, but still a very stout and drivable street/cruise/race engine. If one were to build one like mine, but using ported double humps instead of aluminum heads, it can be done for less than 5K. The important change was to upgrade the rods to Crower Sportsmans.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
My engine uses the original forged crank, original block, and original style pistons (Speed Pro). Nothing exotic or radical about it. If the double humps which I ported had not been ruined by the installation of hardened exh seats, then they'd still be on the engine. Torque and power are down with the double humps, but still a very stout and drivable street/cruise/race engine. If one were to build one like mine, but using ported double humps instead of aluminum heads, it can be done for less than 5K. The important change was to upgrade the rods to Crower Sportsmans.
Your engine as is ran nearly 114 MPH in the quarter, it makes great power no doubt. The heads you have will outperform any 461 casting by at least 30% no matter who does the porting. Your High RPM numbers would not be there without those heads. Your engine done in a machine shop and paying labor and parts would be expensive.
The Cam, Light Ring Set, Heads, Rods and a serious upgrade to the Intake, Carb, and Ignition all add up and we have not talked about the exhaust needed. Above 6,000 RPM you should also add a scatter shield to your bell housing, a lot of guys were hurt running those RPM levels before scatter shields came along.
I just want the OP to be aware that power and high RPM is expensive.
Many of us are totally OK with that, some are not.
Personally I have acquired the parts to build a variety and still can't decide what I want to run. I have most parts for a L79 bone stock, a 350 6 inch rod, a 383 5.7 rod engine, a 5.7 rod 400 SBC. Also have a nice set of AFR heads to make it fun. They are all fun for me.
My plan is to build the L79 stock and park it while running an engine to play with. I am committed to the old look small block while ALL of my buddies keep telling me I am crazy for not switching the car to an LS engine.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Your engine as is ran nearly 114 MPH in the quarter, it makes great power no doubt. The heads you have will outperform any 461 casting by at least 30% no matter who does the porting. Your High RPM numbers would not be there without those heads. Your engine done in a machine shop and paying labor and parts would be expensive.
The Cam, Light Ring Set, Heads, Rods and a serious upgrade to the Intake, Carb, and Ignition all add up and we have not talked about the exhaust needed. Above 6,000 RPM you should also add a scatter shield to your bell housing, a lot of guys were hurt running those RPM levels before scatter shields came along.
I just want the OP to be aware that power and high RPM is expensive.
Many of us are totally OK with that, some are not.
Personally I have acquired the parts to build a variety and still can't decide what I want to run. I have most parts for a L79 bone stock, a 350 6 inch rod, a 383 5.7 rod engine, a 5.7 rod 400 SBC. Also have a nice set of AFR heads to make it fun. They are all fun for me.
My plan is to build the L79 stock and park it while running an engine to play with. I am committed to the old look small block while ALL of my buddies keep telling me I am crazy for not switching the car to an LS engine.
Good plan! I like the 400 SBC because the bigger bore likes 2.08 intake valves!

Although I love the sound of a modern Ford V8 (I have the Coyote motor in my black Mustang GT convertible), I just can't stomach the sound of the LS/LT motor Corvettes. There is nothing like the sound of an old school V8 with a strong cam, AFAIAC.

One more motor I will build someday...............will be a high revving 377 (4.125 x 3.5) using a Dart aluminum block. Will be looking for 600 normally aspirated HP with that one.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Auto Gear
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

can you fit a centrifugal supercharger under the hood of a mid year? A few Paxton stickers and a Powerhat and you'd have something retro cool for $2500

Vortec shortblock, $1900; Speier Econoport 210cc (runner) heads/intake and valvetrain combo $1985.

Need: head gaskets carb, waterpump, elec. fuel pump and ignition.

So if you need a complete drop in solution; Im a little over $7k. However, if you have an HEI, waterpump and a 750cfm Holley carb body...you'd be close. You can use the stock cam for awhile until budget allows an upgrade

http://paceperformance.com/i-6484922...-4-ton-up.html

Pace vortec longblock is $2k. 4 bolt mains from factory; PM rods and Hyper pistons. Sell the heads for $300/pr and come out ahead.

Quick Reply: C2 Motor Transplant