C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Motor Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 AM
tebok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C2 Motor Transplant

I know it's been discussed a number of times, but hell, it's Friday. So tell me,

What would you choose for a new motor to put in a midyear Vette?

Your budget is in the ball park of $7000.

Maintaining the ability to return to bone stock is a must. Fitting under the stock (non big block) hood is also a must. You'll be using the Vette for cruising around town and trips up twisty mountain passes.

Let me know what you think!

In case you're curious, here is a little background on why I ask. I have a beautiful '64 coupe that I can't fully enjoy. (Edit) Overheating is a major issue. (Edit) (Please don't turn this into an overheating thread, I'm ready to move on.) I'm not interested in sleeving and honestly would like to add some serious power. Rest assured my purist friends, the stock motor will be preserved and placed on display in the garage next to my Vette so I can return it to it's original, numbers matching, state at any time. The motor I'm leaning towards is a Skip White SBC 406. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry I can't hand you a beer through the web.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tebok; 03-27-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Over boreing does not cause over heating you have other problems not being addressed If you return the cooling system back to OEM spec, adjust your carb and timing correctly You should fix your cooling system. For 7k you can do a lot
Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 AM
tebok
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Over boreing does not cause over heating you have other problems not being addressed If you return the cooling system back to OEM spec, adjust your carb and timing correctly You should fix your cooling system. For 7k you can do a lot
Thank you for the reply, but as I mentioned, please don't turn this into an overheating thread.

So $7k is a good budget? Good. Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I don't know Skip White but I'd go for a big inch, first generation, small block. 406/383.

There are plenty of midyears with a big inch SB in them and they seem to cool okay. Just be advised that the 406 can put out a lot more heat than the 327.

Don't be surprised if your bigger engine doesn't give you heating problems that you haven't corrected yet. I'll say no more.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tebok
Thank you for the reply, but as I mentioned, please don't turn this into an overheating thread.

So $7k is a good budget? Good. Any suggestions?
You can fik your cooling issues for max 1500 bucks. That leaves you 5500 bucks to spend else where's. Your choice. And if you leave the existing cooling system in place with your new engine chances are your still have the same problem. Like I said fix one problem at a time
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
tebok
Instructor

You can fik your cooling issues for max 1500 bucks. That leaves you 5500 bucks to spend else where's. Your choice. And if you leave the existing cooling system in place with your new engine chances are your still have the same problem. Like I said fix one problem at a time
Again, thanks for the reply but I've tried everything from the overheating threads. If you are still concerned I can refer you to my other thread regarding this issue.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What have you done?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 PM
tebok
Instructor

What have you done?
Here is the link of what I have done:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tement-14.html
Old 03-27-2015, 12:10 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This would be a fun power plant for your car:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/ZZ38...P9982C944.aspx

Or even the ZZ5 would work well.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:11 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I know it's been discussed a number of times, but hell, it's Friday. So tell me,

Maintaining the ability to return to bone stock is a must. Fitting under the stock (non big block) hood is also a must. You'll be using the Vette for cruising around town and trips up twisty mountain passes.

In case you're curious, here is a little background on why I ask. I have a beautiful '64 coupe that I can't fully enjoy. (Edit) Overheating is a major issue. (Edit) (Please don't turn this into an overheating thread, I'm ready to move on.) I'm not interested in sleeving and honestly would like to add some serious power. Rest assured my purist friends, the stock motor will be preserved and placed on display in the garage next to my Vette so I can return it to it's original, numbers matching, state at any time. The motor I'm leaning towards is a Skip White SBC 406. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry I can't hand you a beer through the web.
Sounds like you're looking forward to this, and I'm happy to see that you're having fun! I prefer to build my own, but if I couldn't, then your choice looks like a good one. I like the Dart block, however, I'd choose an aluminum block, which would put you way out of your budget. Have fun and choose the biggest cam choice, as the 406 has way more torque than you'll ever need, so the horsepower potential will be exhilarating at higher RPMs. I don't see the cam choices on the website, so can't help you there. I have a solid roller in mine and it will rev past 8000 RPM, whereas the hydraulic will go to about 6500.

I agree that you should check your radiator, and the rest of your cooling system. How old is it? It will only get worse with the bigger engine. Now is the time to fix it..............before you install your new engine. Easy way to check the rad is to place your palm on the fins while the engine is running at operating temp. Feel for cold spots in different areas with the palm of your hand.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 PM
tebok
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Sounds like you're looking forward to this, and I'm happy to see that you're having fun! I prefer to build my own, but if I couldn't, then your choice looks like a good one. I like the Dart block, however, I'd choose an aluminum block, which would put you way out of your budget. Have fun and choose the biggest cam choice, as the 406 has way more torque than you'll ever need, so the horsepower potential will be exhilarating at higher RPMs. I don't see the cam choices on the website, so can't help you there. I have a solid roller in mine and it will rev past 8000 RPM, whereas the hydraulic will go to about 6500.

I agree that you should check your radiator, and the rest of your cooling system. How old is it? It will only get worse with the bigger engine. Now is the time to fix it..............before you install your new engine. Easy way to check the rad is to place your palm on the fins while the engine is running at operating temp. Feel for cold spots in different areas with the palm of your hand.
I too like the idea of building my own. If one of my connections comes through I may get my hands on a Dart block at cost. Then I would buy the rotating assembly, heads, etc from Skip White. A good friend of mine has recently done just that for his '69 Camaro with great success and is willing to help me do the same.

Love the idea of reving to 8000. I used to have a Lotus Elise and the higher redline was a trip!

The radiator is a brand new DeWitts with an electric fan. Hard to do better than that.

Last edited by tebok; 03-27-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:31 PM
tebok
Instructor

Default 565hp 406

For those interested, here is the link to Skip White's SBC 406

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...Item=406_STG_3
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2015, 12:52 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Ramjet 350
Old 03-27-2015, 01:06 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For those interested, here is the link to Skip White's SBC 406

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...Item=406_STG_3
Very nice.

I see headers, new tranny, new rear end, new rear end suspension.....

Basically a whole new drivetrain in your future.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:42 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

I too like the idea of building my own. If one of my connections comes through I may get my hands on a Dart block at cost. Then I would buy the rotating assembly, heads, etc from Skip White. A good friend of mine has recently done just that for his '69 Camaro with great success and is willing to help me do the same.

Love the idea of reving to 8000. I used to have a Lotus Elise and the higher redline was a trip!

The radiator is a brand new DeWitts with an electric fan. Hard to do better than that.
Is it a "direct fit" or the original reproduction of the Harrison stacked plate? Also, if the fan isn't pulling air through the entire finned area of the radiator, then that's your problem. A lot of electric fans don't cover the entire rad!

Look into "Pro Filer" heads. When I bought mine they were slightly more than 1/2 the price of AFRs. Very high quality and flow same as AFRs. Compare apples to apples: whichever heads you choose, be sure to compare prices on as-cast, and CNC ported parts..........bare heads vs fully dressed with exact same parts.

I don't see why you need stud girdles on the pictured engine. I'd grill him on that.

The engine website is very "busy". Can you help me find the cam/carb/intake manifold and other choices that are available?

Are you going manual or auto trans? What is your axle ratio, and would you like to keep it? Do you plan on installing wide tires on it, or keeping 215-70R-15?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:09 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My first Corvette was a '64 convertible back in the 70's, and it had a 70 LT-1 engine under the stock hood. It will still appear stock, fit, and have all of the power that you'll need.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

If you like back road stuff and throwing the car around a little I would stay with a high revving 350 or smaller, get a 5 spd trans and make sure you have a good match to your rear ratio, and rev the crap out it. 383 and 406 are great stump pullers and you can smoke the tires off in a heart beat but a high winding engine is more fun on back roads. A sports car rather than a drag car so to speak. JMHO

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Motor Transplant

Old 03-27-2015, 03:36 PM
tebok
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Is it a "direct fit" or the original reproduction of the Harrison stacked plate? Also, if the fan isn't pulling air through the entire finned area of the radiator, then that's your problem. A lot of electric fans don't cover the entire rad!

Look into "Pro Filer" heads. When I bought mine they were slightly more than 1/2 the price of AFRs. Very high quality and flow same as AFRs. Compare apples to apples: whichever heads you choose, be sure to compare prices on as-cast, and CNC ported parts..........bare heads vs fully dressed with exact same parts.

I don't see why you need stud girdles on the pictured engine. I'd grill him on that.

The engine website is very "busy". Can you help me find the cam/carb/intake manifold and other choices that are available?

Are you going manual or auto trans? What is your axle ratio, and would you like to keep it? Do you plan on installing wide tires on it, or keeping 215-70R-15?
Good input. Thank you.

The rad is a "direct fit" and the fan covers the whole area. Very high quality.

Here is what I could find on the parts you were asking about:

Cam (guestimate):
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...Item=180265-10
Heads (guestimate):
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...Item=NKB200274
Carb:
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...spx?Item=Q-950
Intake manifold:
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...x?Item=PC-2025

I agree their web site isn't the best. I wonder if they leave select details out to protect their motor "design".

My plan at first is to keep the stock tranny and setup. I'm not sure what the axle ratio is. My thought is the skinny stock tires will act as the "fuse" when things get wild.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:41 PM
tebok
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sky65
If you like back road stuff and throwing the car around a little I would stay with a high revving 350 or smaller, get a 5 spd trans and make sure you have a good match to your rear ratio, and rev the crap out it. 383 and 406 are great stump pullers and you can smoke the tires off in a heart beat but a high winding engine is more fun on back roads. A sports car rather than a drag car so to speak. JMHO

Tom
Well said. More to think about.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:10 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Good input. Thank you.

The rad is a "direct fit" and the fan covers the whole area. Very high quality.

Here is what I could find on the parts you were asking about:

Cam (guestimate):
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...Item=180265-10
Heads (guestimate):
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...Item=NKB200274
Carb:
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...spx?Item=Q-950
Intake manifold:
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...x?Item=PC-2025

I agree their web site isn't the best. I wonder if they leave select details out to protect their motor "design".

My plan at first is to keep the stock tranny and setup. I'm not sure what the axle ratio is. My thought is the skinny stock tires will act as the "fuse" when things get wild.
Unimpressive flow numbers! I ported a set of double humps and got them to flow 255 @ .5" valve lift. CNC ported (205cc) Pro Filers will flow 280 @ .5" and 295 @ .7".

With a 406 cu-in engine, you should be looking at 250-260 0.050" durations for a "3/4" race build, and 270-280 for a "full race" build. In either case, you want at least .600" intake valve lift to take advantage of the displacement. Also, yout 4.125" bore will benefit tremendously with a 2.05 or 2.08" intake valve.

I agree that a screamer would be better for your intended use. Consider building a 377 cu-in engine. 4.125" bore and 3.5" stroke. Use a set of 210cc aluminum heads with the cam and flow specs that I indicated and you'll be happier than a pig in ####!!!

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 03-27-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: language

Quick Reply: C2 Motor Transplant