C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

master cyl.w pb

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default master cyl.w pb

I have the booster and master off the car , 67 coupe, the master has a casting # 5468309. This # is different than the# in Nolan Adams vol.2, could someone tell me what I have here ,is it a corvette part, it is a delco. I was thinking of rebuilding the cyl. but it may be more prudent to replace the cly. and booster as the body is off the frame and I am replacing all the lines and hoses etc. so if I replace these all will be new.Where is the best place to buy these parts,they don't need to pass NCRS they just have to work .I've seen prices for both ranging from @ 200.00 to close to 500.00.Any help finding a reasonably priced pair would be appreciated . Thanks in advance. Jeff
Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by quahog
I have the booster and master off the car , 67 coupe, the master has a casting # 5468309. This # is different than the# in Nolan Adams vol.2, could someone tell me what I have here ,is it a corvette part, it is a delco. I was thinking of rebuilding the cyl. but it may be more prudent to replace the cly. and booster as the body is off the frame and I am replacing all the lines and hoses etc. so if I replace these all will be new.Where is the best place to buy these parts,they don't need to pass NCRS they just have to work .I've seen prices for both ranging from @ 200.00 to close to 500.00.Any help finding a reasonably priced pair would be appreciated . Thanks in advance. Jeff
If you don't care about numbers matching I would just get a rebuilt mc from your FLAPS. If the test of the car is numbers matching I would save the old one just in case. If there were no problems with the booster just reuse it. MHO

Tom
Old 03-27-2015, 04:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I have the booster and master off the car , 67 coupe, the master has a casting # 5468309. This # is different than the# in Nolan Adams vol.2, could someone tell me what I have here ,is it a corvette part, it is a delco.
The 309 master cylinder started in 1969, and most usages were for power disc/drum systems (pass. cars and Camaros), with a residual pressure valve in the rear (drum) outlet. There's a small semi-circular machined area at the front of the casting - what 2-letter code is stamped in that surface?

The correct master cylinder for your car is casting number 5455509, stamped "DC" in the machined area at the front (in '67, the exact same master cylinder was used for both manual and power Corvette applications).
Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 PM
quahog
Racer

Default master cyl.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The 309 master cylinder started in 1969, and most usages were for power disc/drum systems (pass. cars and Camaros), with a residual pressure valve in the rear (drum) outlet. There's a small semi-circular machined area at the front of the casting - what 2-letter code is stamped in that surface?

The correct master cylinder for your car is casting number 5455509, stamped "DC" in the machined area at the front (in '67, the exact same master cylinder was used for both manual and power Corvette applications).
Thanks for the reply John, the letters are US in that area. If your ever in the Taunton, Mass. area stop in for a beer. Jeff
Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Thanks for the reply John, the letters are US in that area. If your ever in the Taunton, Mass. area stop in for a beer. Jeff
With the "US" stamp, that 309 master cylinder is from a '69 Camaro with power disc/drum brakes; it has a residual pressure valve in the rear outlet, which maintains 10 psi in the rear system, which is required for drum brakes. However, in your application, disc brakes don't use RPV's, and it will make your rear calipers drag and overheat, and will eventually fry your rear brake pads.

That master cylinder is worth some $$ to the '69 Camaro guys, BTW - not too many of the "US" 309 master cylinders left out there.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM
quahog
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnZ
With the "US" stamp, that 309 master cylinder is from a '69 Camaro with power disc/drum brakes; it has a residual pressure valve in the rear outlet, which maintains 10 psi in the rear system, which is required for drum brakes. However, in your application, disc brakes don't use RPV's, and it will make your rear calipers drag and overheat, and will eventually fry your rear brake pads.

That master cylinder is worth some $$ to the '69 Camaro guys, BTW - not too many of the "US" 309 master cylinders left out there.
That is all good information to know,thanks John.I was considering rebuilding this cylinder and using it,you saved me a lot of grief. I have no intention of getting rid of the master,as I have all the take off parts that I have replaced with new. I have yet to drive this car I'm in the process of putting it back together and considering all the other brake parts are new ,or rebuilt I'm leaning towards a new master and booster. Thanks again for the reply. Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To master cyl.w pb

Quick Reply: master cyl.w pb