C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Coupe Ventilator removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Mastr Fab
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Coupe Ventilator removal?

I'm trying to remove the ventilator from my 66 coupe. Following the service manual instructions I've run into problems. It states to remove the rear glass run channel. How is that possible when the window felt runs up into the upper door ? The next problem is it states to pry the upper window channel out of the door to allow the ventilator to rotate rearward. My window channel is above the ventilator so how do I pry it down? HELP
Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

It's been awhile since I did this but the rear, lower track needs to be un-screwed to move aside so the glass can be removed and laid in the bottom of the door until the vent assembly is removed. Remove all the screws securing the lower, rear track so it is completely loose. The channel liner will probably pull free of the lower track - can't remember exactly how it is secured. But I don't think that is even necessary in order to slide the glass back enough to clear the front channel. The channel liner has little clips that secure it to the door top. It's probably easiest to pull it loose back by the rear, lower track and work around the back and top towards the front.

However, and here my memory is not clear, once all the nuts and screws are removed that secure the vent assembly, it should drop enough to clear that little piece of channel liner and I don't think it has to be removed to get the vent assembly out. However, it does take some patience to work the vent assembly out of the door. Twisting it around to get the lower channel bracket to come out of the gap in the door opening is a bit of a challenge - but it will come out.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 03-27-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Mastr Fab
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I finally got it out but it was ugly. The rear channel liner is attached to the channel at the bottom with a screw and near the top with a botton that snaps into the track. The liner is one piece so you can't remove the rear track and it can't be slid back to get the glass out of the channel. I'm trying to get it back together but can't get the top front of the glass to start into the front channel. I tried to cut the rear channel liner so the rear channel could be removed but it must have a steel reinforcement within the liner. There has got to be a trick as I don't see them screwing with this on an assembly line. What am I missing?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:05 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastr Fab
Well I finally got it out but it was ugly. The rear channel liner is attached to the channel at the bottom with a screw and near the top with a botton that snaps into the track. The liner is one piece so you can't remove the rear track and it can't be slid back to get the glass out of the channel. I'm trying to get it back together but can't get the top front of the glass to start into the front channel. I tried to cut the rear channel liner so the rear channel could be removed but it must have a steel reinforcement within the liner. There has got to be a trick as I don't see them screwing with this on an assembly line. What am I missing?
I take it that you did completely remove the two screws in the rear door jamb area that secure the rear track? It sounds like you are doing it right - engaging the top, front corner of the glass into the front channel before twisting the rear channel into position around the back of the glass. I don't remember having a problem on mine. You may have to remove the attaching screw from the lower portion of front ventilator channel run to get just a bit more room to get the glass into the channel.

Maybe someone else with a more recent experience with this will chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe Ventilator removal?

Quick Reply: Coupe Ventilator removal?