C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restoring cars will be the end of me

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:20 PM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best part about owning my vette is when children come up to it with their dad at car shows and I say to them "do you want sit in it" and their eyes get big as saucers. For a split second I remember when I was that young looking at C2 vettes. We all have bad days with them but we also have a ton of good times. Those cell phone pic's are priceless and maybe one or two will get to own one someday. I know cause it happened to me.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Thinking about the future you know Ford is making a 350 HP Focus next year .
Maintence free will this eventually lead to decrease interest in sport cars . Kind of
wonder What the future of the sport car market will be.
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well if that happens it will mean that that high school kid with the girly white sunglasses and ball cap on backwards blasting out Lady Ga-ga in his $20K econobox will be able to suck out the windshields of our C1/C2 cars in a head-to-head dustoff while holding his cell phone in one hand.

That will suck out loud.
They wont be able to fix ugly though.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

[QUOTE=mspry;1589290558]The best part about owning my vette is when children come up to it with their dad at car shows and I say to them "do you want sit in it" and their eyes get big as saucers. For a split second I remember when I was that young looking at C2 vettes. We all have bad days with them but we also have a ton of good times. Those cell phone pic's are priceless and maybe one or two will get to own one someday. I know cause it happened to me.[/QUOT

Hi,

I always have kids sit in the car and let them put their hands on the wheel or shifter . Have done it in 48 states and 15 countries .

Jack
Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

So you diagnosed a bad coil and that took care of the problem. That is what mechanics (not technicians) did for a living from the early 1900's until the age of electronics took hold of the industry. GOD bless you my son. Like Forest Gump you are close to being a genius. My sincere congratulations. As you said people of your generation lack basic skills to keep their cars running. Most can't even change a flat tire (if a spare is available). As Ross Perot said, it's just sad.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

[QUOTE=Jackfit;1589290680]
Originally Posted by mspry
The best part about owning my vette is when children come up to it with their dad at car shows and I say to them "do you want sit in it" and their eyes get big as saucers. For a split second I remember when I was that young looking at C2 vettes. We all have bad days with them but we also have a ton of good times. Those cell phone pic's are priceless and maybe one or two will get to own one someday. I know cause it happened to me.[/QUOT

Hi,

I always have kids sit in the car and let them put their hands on the wheel or shifter . Have done it in 48 states and 15 countries .

Jack
Jack that is cool the right thing to do ,I do the same think if you have the power to do this world wide more power to you .
May the force be with you . I will carry this along to all kids I know.
as long as they don't touch tooo much.

Last edited by rtruman; 03-28-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by champs65
They wont be able to fix ugly though.
Once the bugs are gone I really feel confident .
Ugly is not a problem. fourth one I have done
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
So you diagnosed a bad coil and that took care of the problem. That is what mechanics (not technicians) did for a living from the early 1900's until the age of electronics took hold of the industry. GOD bless you my son. Like Forest Gump you are close to being a genius. My sincere congratulations. As you said people of your generation lack basic skills to keep their cars running. Most can't even change a flat tire (if a spare is available). As Ross Perot said, it's just sad.
Thanks but it got worse today. The restored alt and VR done by a very well known guy is not charging the battery. Now dads new restoration battery is dead in the water. When given a hot shot the car doesn't want to stay running due to low voltage And it seems something the the throtle shaft of the carb is letting the carb no go back to idle
Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
I love old cars, I'm 61 and I grew up with them. I'm just saying that the old cars aren't as popular with the younger generation unless they are updated. I have a 27 year old son who loves the look of the older Corvettes but he hates the ride and fact that you constantly have to tinker with them. Us older guys aren't going to be around forever keeping these relics running. Even I prefer my updated C2 over a restored model.
This is true. My wife and I watch the Amazing Race to see the various country sites and things and a few weeks ago they were in the Philippines and as a challenge were sent to an auto salvage yard. There were a bunch of 4 cyl engine/transmission assemblies on the ground and they were told there was a clue inside the bellhousing and they had to disassemble it to find it. They didn't have a CLUE! One women (a truck driver I think) knew what to do and went right to work and pulled the transmission off and got to the clue. The guys and other women stood there looking at it wondering aloud where the transmission was and what to do. Then they couldn't figure out how to find a proper socket to fit any of the bolts. And most of them, when they triggered the air guns they were given to work with, recoiled in alarm and sometimes dropped them the first time. I never saw such a cluster*%#? of basic auto knowledge and mechanics in my life. It was astounding.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 AM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

The best part about owning my vette is when children come up to it with their dad at car shows and I say to them "do you want sit in it" and their eyes get big as saucers. For a split second I remember when I was that young looking at C2 vettes. We all have bad days with them but we also have a ton of good times. Those cell phone pic's are priceless and maybe one or two will get to own one someday. I know cause it happened to me.[/QUOT

Hi,

Jack
Me three
Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Dude. You built a car....basically, by yourself. Not just any car, but a high-performance, purpose-designed, sports car.

No quality inspectors running around with flashlights and mirrors with decades of experience, no source for brand new, never used parts, no individual system checkouts on factory jigs before final assembly, and on and on.

Give yourself a little credit, "hitch up your drawers and get on with it" as my Grandpap used to say.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:58 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Thanks but it got worse today. The restored alt and VR done by a very well known guy is not charging the battery. Now dads new restoration battery is dead in the water. When given a hot shot the car doesn't want to stay running due to low voltage And it seems something the the throtle shaft of the carb is letting the carb no go back to idle
Where the connector goes into the alt ,check it make sure its not broken on one side. Look at ground wire connection
Charge battery up get full charge after warm up check with DC meter see what you have.
go right to connector ,wiggle wire. just a thought
Old 03-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Never hurts to have one of those cheap VR-715 solid state regulators as a back up. Even if you don't want to run it permanently; it can be swapped in for a while for troubleshooting. An $18 aid to finding a problem...
Old 03-29-2015, 09:18 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Never hurts to have one of those cheap VR-715 solid state regulators as a back up. Even if you don't want to run it permanently; it can be swapped in for a while for troubleshooting. An $18 aid to finding a problem...
Good Point if it doesn't work then take it back to the guy who did it.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Keith,
Keep at it, you will get the bugs worked out.

Or you could just throw a MSD box in it
Old 03-29-2015, 03:46 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Once the bugs are gone I really feel confident .
Ugly is not a problem. fourth one I have done
We both talking about a Focus?

Last edited by champs65; 03-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:30 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by champs65
We both talking about a Focus?
4TH midyear I have debugged
Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Hi,

Jack
I do the same thing. Sometimes its a guys wife that's in love with the Corvette, and he wants to get one for her....until he hears the price, but she still wants to own one for herself.

Get notified of new replies

To Restoring cars will be the end of me

Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

You start off with great expectations, slowly you learn it was much more expensive than first realized, then it goes on, you dig deeper, you get frustrated, you rebuy parts, you get to a mode where you crave OEM/NOS over repro, you spend even more, most either don't fit, or hard to get, you spend almost every day going through Ebay, looking for deals, you buy more, oh did I say you spend more and more, you do things over a few times, you get judged, only to find out your carpet was too soft, loss of point, you find methods or try to devise methods to fool the judges, you become hellbent to get Top Flight, you go over checkoff list, and buy more NOS parts, you pay premium to have original parts refurbished to new, you pay premium to assure mistakes are made were they are suppose to be, you end up buying the new NCRS Judging Manual, because the one you restored from is now been revised with more small trivial things you must fix, you become the perfectionist, as nothing is too good. Oh, by this time your wife and kids are either on the brink of leaving you or have left, sad you never noticed. Finally you get to the Nationals, only to find the judges have now idea how to judge your car, because they are qualified from another generation, but because of shortages, they have been assigned for you. The original headlights you purchase from ebay without DOT on them, one fails during operations check. You open your doors, to allow interior judging forgetting to disconnect battery, battery dies, you get jump start, in the moment you reverse the terminal on the cars battery, burning out the front wire harness, your paint is considered too good, you lose points, yet everybody loves it. The list goes on and on to a point people try stealing small original parts from your car, making you have to sit next to it whenever you show it, and car is too valuable to drive and enjoy....you go through thousands of dollars, years of time, only to get a certificate and blue ribbon. No regrets from me, I saved a SWC, but don't miss it...one and done.

Sound familiar, I LOVE MY 2014 Stingray.....
Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
I never said they where bullet proof but I work on cars for a living. You could never get 3 or 400,000 miles out of and old car like you do now. And the reason dealerships are so busy is because there are so many more cars on the road today. Back then people where lucky if they could afford to have 2 cars on the road. Now every member of the family has their own car. Those cars back then, when I was a kid, were retired when they hit 100,000 miles. Whether you want to believe it or not, electronics parts are much more reliable than mechanical parts.
and hats off to you sir, turning wrenches at 61. i folded up my toolbox at 44.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Well a little up date we got the charging problem solved the car started up and ran fine on Sunday for the judging. Was told the over all score for the NCRS judging was over 96%. Won't know the full detail until I get the judging sheets back at the end of the week. But all in all got a top flight and a short list to fix by the Charlotte regional

Quick Reply: Restoring cars will be the end of me