C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Carpet Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default 1960 Carpet Install Questions

Well I have removed my interior and trying to get the carpet installed. I'm having a problem with fitting the middle section. First, I have ACC carpet so that may help with advice. Do I need to trim the carpet around the waterfall or is there a trick to getting it under there? I get it under there pretty good, but it leaves a cavity back where the hump gets wide close to the ash tray and shifter. If I push it so if fits good back there and work it forward I need to get about 2" under the waterfall or trim it?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:55 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
Well I have removed my interior and trying to get the carpet installed. I'm having a problem with fitting the middle section. First, I have ACC carpet so that may help with advice. Do I need to trim the carpet around the waterfall or is there a trick to getting it under there? I get it under there pretty good, but it leaves a cavity back where the hump gets wide close to the ash tray and shifter. If I push it so if fits good back there and work it forward I need to get about 2" under the waterfall or trim it?
I let the fit at the hump area dictate the carpet placement on my 58 (using ACC carpets). If there was anything left to trim, it was very minor. I used spray adhesive to get the carpet to fit the contour of the tunnel also. Took a while to get it to fit the way I wanted. The rear section ends up flush to the waterfall between the seats.

Tom
Old 03-28-2015, 02:45 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Maybe I have my terms mixed up. Here is a picture of my issue. With the carpet in this position it fits good but that looks like way to much trimming up by the clock?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:46 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I just put in new ACC carpeting in my '61 last fall. Your '60 tunnel is shaped slightly different, but I did no trimming on the small piece next to the waterfall. The main trimming was on the middle piece where the shifter and ash tray are. The only places I used more glue was on those two pieces.
From your picture, it appears that you have the middle piece too far forward. It should come up to the console and then your stainless trim will hold it down correctly.

Last edited by abdo; 03-28-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:52 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I said waterfall, but I meant up by the clock. Does that look right as far as trimming up by the clock? Or is there a way to cram that carpet under neath? My watefrall piece is fine. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:57 PM
abdo
Drifting

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I said waterfall, but I meant up by the clock. Does that look right as far as trimming up by the clock? Or is there a way to cram that carpet under neath? My watefrall piece is fine. Thanks.
I don't think there is any way to "cram that carpet underneath" the center console. As I said in my first reply, it appears that your center piece is too far forward. You should not have to trim around that area. The only instance you may have to do some trimming there is if the center section is correctly centered so that the area where the tunnel gets narrow fits tightly without any gaps or cavities.

It is possible that ACC carpets have a "one size fits all" for '58 to '62 Corvettes.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:05 PM
abdo
Drifting

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Here is a pic of my '61 after carpet installation.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:18 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

So here is a pic if I move it back towards the waterfall and cram under the clock as much as I can. I still have a little hump where my finger is pointing on both sides. So this would look right more than my first pics? Thanks for your time.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:40 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a shot from my 60 the day of the "barn find". It is original carpet that has never been out. You can use this as a guide as to where the rear of the front piece falls.

I don't think you should have to do much trimming, certainly not 2" worth. That would be a lot of wasted material for the carpet manufacturer.......

Found another pic that might help also...

Tom
Old 03-28-2015, 05:20 PM
abdo
Drifting

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Just my opinion, but if those "humps" are not large, I would just put a little glue in those two areas where your finger was pointing and put some heavy objects to hold them down while the glue takes hold. As Thoyer said, it is unlikely that ACC left that much material at the forward edge of the center piece that you would have to trim it.

If Frankie is monitoring this thread, I'm sure he would have some input.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Al Knoch says that you should use the seams as a locating point. The end of the seam should be on the corner of the tunnel. It's a little hard to visualize and this may not be the best picture but if you feel the tunnel it'll become obvious.

You can actually feel these two corners better than you can see them. Those are the locating points. Everything should fall into place from that point on. At least it did with me.

Now this is a '58 and the carpet is from Al Knoch so all bets are off as regarding your install. Just one more idea here.

Richard Newton
Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rfn026

Al Knoch says that you should use the seams as a locating point. The end of the seam should be on the corner of the tunnel. It's a little hard to visualize and this may not be the best picture but if you feel the tunnel it'll become obvious.

You can actually feel these two corners better than you can see them. Those are the locating points. Everything should fall into place from that point on. At least it did with me.

Now this is a '58 and the carpet is from Al Knoch so all bets are off as regarding your install. Just one more idea here.

Richard Newton
That is what I figured, but it seems that I will have to trim to get the seam to the corner. I will work on it more tomorrow but thanks for the help and any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

I've done 3 ACC 59-61 carpet sets in the last few years. I had to trim a substantial amount at the entire "U" shaped perimeter edge of the clock console for proper fit.

Rich
p.s. my biggest headache was the drivers side floor area where it fits to the sill step. 3 sets were cut wrong(too long to the sill step). I returned one, they fixed it, then another was for a racecar with a modified tunnel/floor so it didn't matter, then one for another '59 had the same problem. That one I cut and re-stitched myself. I stopped buying ACC 58-62 carpets for that reason. 3 strikes.........OUT.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:18 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

More info here when Curt did his ACC set....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
Old 03-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rich5962
I've done 3 ACC 59-61 carpet sets in the last few years. I had to trim a substantial amount at the entire "U" shaped perimeter edge of the clock console for proper fit.

Rich
Absolutely. Two installs in my '61 and had to trim at the front console, side sill area and kick panels. Perfectly normal. Why would someone jump to the conclusion that the center console is too far forward ?

It just takes some finesse -- trim too much and you'll have a gap at the chrome "U" horseshoe; not enough then you'll have stray carpet fiber sticking up over the horseshoe. Locate the optimal position of the piece on the tranny tunnel, then cut a hole for the shifter area (CAREFULLY working from the center outward). In the same manner make a hole for the ashtray then push the ashtray down into the carpet hole to "lock" the carpet in place while you trim for the center console.

Make sure you have those side sill area wire covers or you'll never get a good transition at the floor where the carpet must transition upward to the sill. These tend to rust out but are available in repro form.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-29-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Thanks for the help everyone and thanks Frankie for confirming what I thought about having to trim. I read and read and read yesterday about how ACC was almost a perfect fit and I really should not have to trim anything. So it's frustrating when

a) you have a lack of confidence

b) my carpet seemed to be not fitting like 99% of what I was reading.

Well I'm not a drinking man, but I could have used a few shots before I took a knife to my carpet this morning, but I think it worked out pretty good even with the help from my assistant

Now I will be moving on to the last 2 pieces.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:52 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Well I'm not a drinking man, but I could have used a few shots before I took a knife to my carpet this morning, but I think it worked out pretty good because of the help from my assistant
Fixed it for ya!!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:18 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

What a cutie! She is definitely the reason you fixed it. Young ladies know best!

Rich
p.s. Jason, when you set the DS carpet in position, pay close attention to the slit where the gas pedal studs are, and the relation to thebottom edge of the firewall insulation before you trim out the Dimmer Switch. ACC had problems with that side carpet a while ago as I mentioned. I sure hope they fixed it. It was 1 1/2" too long and wouldn't meet the sill step properly.

Here are some photos to reference on a '59 set. Some pics comparing to old DS piece that fit against the ACC piece.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Priceless!

That look almost says, "Dad, enough with the pictures, let's get back to work"

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Carpet Install Questions

Quick Reply: 1960 Carpet Install Questions