C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hot ballast resistor

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:53 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Hot ballast resistor

Putting a '66 coupe back together with all new wiring and finally put power on it for the first time this weekend. Certain things were working fine, but I couldn't get the starter to kick over, and after a short time having the key in the ignition position, I accidentally touched the ballast resistor on the firewall, and it was extremely hot. So hot, in fact, that the fiberglass all around where it mounts was hot to the point where it was hard to leave you hand on it. Obviously, disconnected the battery immediately, but I haven't had much time since then to troubleshoot. My first thought was that I could have the pink & purple leads to the solenoid reversed, which might explain the started not engaging, but I don't think that would have anything to do the resistor temperature. I don't remember these ballast resistors getting that hot; so I'm assuming I have a dead short somewhere, but I've checked every termination on these brand new harnesses, and I don't have anything dangling free where it could short out.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:02 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You should never leave the key in the on position without the engine running. You could burn up the coil. The ballast resistor is ceramic and will get very hot under normal conditions, but if the points are closed and the key in the on position the full battery voltage is on one end and the only resistance is the coil winding between the resistor and the points. It will get very hot. When you aren't cranking, use acc or off.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:02 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

I accidently did the same thing with my 66 when we were getting it running. I left the key in the on position and we didn't realize it until we saw smoke Thank goodness we corrected the problem
Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Here is diagram may be some help.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks to both of you. I didn't realize that was a normal condition and would have driven myself crazy chasing a short that doesn't exist.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot ballast resistor

Quick Reply: Hot ballast resistor