C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'66 Stingray Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 PM
BoolaJosh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '66 Stingray Help!

Hey Guys

Joined this site to search and ask for some help with my family's '66 Vette

It is an original 427 car, however when my family purchased the car, someone had replaced it with a 327. For the time being, we are going to leave the 327 in it. (we dont have the money to mess with a motor swap)

The car has been sitting for nearly 30 years, and we are finally getting around to getting it road worthy again. We pulled the radiator and had a new core installed, however, this is where we are running into issue. Once we put the radiator back in, and we ordered the 327 radiator hoses, they don't want to fit (the old hoses were butchered and not correct). Has anybody else had the issue of having a 427 radiator with a 327? If so, what hoses did you use? Did you have to change the angle for the lower radiator hose?

My dad and I have built many hot rods, but this is our first venture into a Corvette, so any and all help would really be greatly appreciated. Plus, this is my Moms car, and as we all know, keeping our Moms happy is one of the most important things to do in life.

Thanks Guys!

Josh Bauer
So Cali
Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

a BB radiator and a small block radiator are different so there for the stock SB hoses will not work. I am not sure if BB hoses will work or not.

and PS your car is a Sting Ray notice its two words
Old 03-29-2015, 09:18 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Josh, there really aren't that many hoses that GM called for in the mid-year. Here are the four main ones called for in Paragon's catalog. You could pick up one each at you local autoparts store and try them to see which one fits best. Just return the rest.

Lower radiator hose w/ reinforcement spring, all w/S.B. 1963-65; GM Part Number: 3832170

Lower radiator hose with reinforcement spring. 1966-67 All w/427 exc. L-88; GM Part Number: 3882826

Lower radiator hose w/ reinforcement spring, all 327. 1966-67; GM Part Number: 3887155

Lower radiator hose w/ reinforcement spring, all with 396. 1965 all w/ 396, 1967 w/ L-88; GM Part Number: 3876782

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 03-29-2015, 10:20 PM
BoolaJosh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the help Gusto. I already have all the part #'s for the different hoses, and they aren't that readily available.

However, What I am trying to find out is if anybody else has had this issue of having a SB in a BB car, and what they may have done? Last resort is to butcher a hose to make it fit, or just run a flex hose.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by BoolaJosh
Thank you for the help Gusto. I already have all the part #'s for the different hoses, and they aren't that readily available.

However, What I am trying to find out is if anybody else has had this issue of having a SB in a BB car, and what they may have done? Last resort is to butcher a hose to make it fit, or just run a flex hose.
The manner in which the lower hose attaches to the radiator will make running a flex hose difficult. It is molded at the lower radiator attaching point to clear the upper control arm of the right front suspension. The hose is also molded to clear the radiator shroud just above this point.

Do you know if the radiator is in fact a BB radiator? How about the shroud, is it a BB shroud. If both are for a BB, I would start with one of the BB lower hoses (specifically #3882826) and try to work with that.

If you can post a picture of the radiator/shroud, showing the lower hose attaching point you are working with someone may have another idea or two to try.

Any hose you use for the lower hose most above all have the reinforcement spring in it to keep it from collapsing, especially once the water gets hot.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 03-29-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Default hoses

I had exactly your problem......thru trial and error found that Gates #s 20812 and 20380 worked pretty well. I had to cut about an inch off the bottom hose to fit better at the water pump end. Good luck.....Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To '66 Stingray Help!

Quick Reply: '66 Stingray Help!