C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

3 spd Turbo-Hydra transmission in my '66?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 3 spd Turbo-Hydra transmission in my '66?

Hello everyone,

So the '66 I recently got from my dad originally had the 4 speed manual transmission. Before he bought it the transmission was changed to a 3 speed Turbo-Hydramatic....Just wondering, why would someone change to the 3 spd TH?

Also, can anyone tell me how I can find out which TH transmission I have? I'm a newbie when it comes to understanding different engines & transmissions.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 01:48 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default A previous owner must have wanted an automatic

Originally Posted by Brad-SixTsix
Hello everyone,

So the '66 I recently got from my dad originally had the 4 speed manual transmission. Before he bought it the transmission was changed to a 3 speed Turbo-Hydramatic....Just wondering, why would someone change to the 3 spd TH?

Also, can anyone tell me how I can find out which TH transmission I have? I'm a newbie when it comes to understanding different engines & transmissions.
Maybe the owner or a someone else in the family couldn't drive a manual or didn't like driving a manual. Maybe he or she had knee trouble or some other issue which impacted the ability to drive a manual.

The factory automatic for this generation of Corvettes was the Powerglide, a 2-speed automatic. The 3-speed available at the time was the TH400, which wouldn't fit in your car's transmission tunnel. So what you have is probably the smaller TH350, which was not sold in any car until the 1969 model year.

Steve

Last edited by SI67; 03-30-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:27 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by SI67
Maybe the owner or a someone else in the family couldn't drive a manual or didn't like driving a manual. Maybe he or she had knee trouble or some other issue which impacted the ability to drive a manual.

The factory automatic for this generation of Corvettes was the Powerglide, a 2-speed automatic. The 3-speed available at the time was the TH400, which wouldn't fit in your car's transmission tunnel. So what you have is probably the smaller TH350, which was not sold in any car until the 1969 model year.

Steve
Exactly. My 1960 came with a 350 turbo (actually a very good tranny) and required no modifications to the body or frame to install.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 AM
Brad-SixTsix
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome, TH350,
Thank you for the information

Get notified of new replies

To 3 spd Turbo-Hydra transmission in my '66?

Quick Reply: 3 spd Turbo-Hydra transmission in my '66?