C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with brake diagnosis

Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Help with brake diagnosis

The brakes on my 66 327 are poor. I am a cyclist with strong legs and I cannot even start to lock up a wheel. Due to some leaking, I replaced all of the calipers. We did a good bleed and have a very hard pedal. I am running Hawk's new 5.0 street pads which are their most aggressive and need no heat to perform well. The car has what looks like an original single master cylinder. The correct hole on the pedal arm is being used. I've read that a non-power brake car like mine will stop very well. I don't see where a dual mc conversion will help out. I'm thinking I just need a new mc for some reason. Any opinions???
Old 03-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,463 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Are you panic slamming the brakes, and they won't lock up, i.e, slide the tires? Dennis
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
The brakes on my 66 327 are poor. I am a cyclist with strong legs and I cannot even start to lock up a wheel. Due to some leaking, I replaced all of the calipers. We did a good bleed and have a very hard pedal. I am running Hawk's new 5.0 street pads which are their most aggressive and need no heat to perform well. The car has what looks like an original single master cylinder. The correct hole on the pedal arm is being used. I've read that a non-power brake car like mine will stop very well. I don't see where a dual mc conversion will help out. I'm thinking I just need a new mc for some reason. Any opinions???
Nothing is going to change until you pull the Hawk pads and replace them with OEM-type organic pads, or install power brakes. The Hawk pads will eat your rotors, which commonly last well over 100,000 miles with the OEM organic pads.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Are you panic slamming the brakes, and they won't lock up, i.e, slide the tires? Dennis
Doesn't matter if I stab the pedal or just press VERY hard........car just stops poorly at best.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:06 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nothing is going to change until you pull the Hawk pads and replace them with OEM-type organic pads, or install power brakes. The Hawk pads will eat your rotors, which commonly last well over 100,000 miles with the OEM organic pads.
I had new OEM organic pads before the Hawks and the brakes were even worse. Being a low mileage car, rotor life is no concern to me. Safe brakes are my goal.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

The brakes on my 66 327 are poor. I am a cyclist with strong legs and I cannot even start to lock up a wheel. Due to some leaking, I replaced all of the calipers. We did a good bleed and have a very hard pedal. Any opinions???

Did you turn the rotors? Maybe they are glazed.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I had new OEM organic pads before the Hawks and the brakes were even worse. Being a low mileage car, rotor life is no concern to me. Safe brakes are my goal.
When I got my manual-brake '67 many years ago, the PO had installed some hot-dog semi-metallic pads, and the pedal effort to get normal braking force was beyond unacceptable. I pulled them and installed some standard Raybestos organic pads ($20 per axle set), and that was the cure - normal pedal effort, progressive brake response like you'd expect.

If your car was worse with organic pads than it is now with Hawk pads, you have some other brake problem. Is your pedal pushrod clevis in the top hole where it belongs?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by toddalin
Did you turn the rotors? Maybe they are glazed.
I thoroughly sanded all the rotors with red garnet sandpaper (that type leaves no adverse material on the rotors) after sanding, I wiped them down with Brakleen. The brakes just have no bite.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:23 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

When I put disks on front of the '64, they had semi-metallic pads. The pedal effort was very hard (I'd often use both feet), but the stopping was terrible; especially that last bit just before the car actually settles to a stop. (Sound familiar?)

I replaced the pads with the Andy Porterfeld Street compound and the brakes are now great with much less pedal effort. I was even able to bias more pressure to the rear before panic lock-up which means that the front stopping power was improved

While you say that the Hawk's are better than what was on there, unless you put them on new, how do you know that what was on there wasn't contamintated with brake fluid so wan't doing it's job to begin with? Maybe anything would have been a step up.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

If your brakes worked OK before you changed the calipers, and they don't work afterwards, the problem might be ........ the new calipers. Are they the stock replacements? Same size as before?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,996 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The car has what looks like an original single master cylinder.
The brake behavior you are describing is consistent with the master cyl. bore being larger than stock. It's also consistent with other causes, but you've pretty well ruled them out.

I'd pull the master cylinder apart and check the diameter of the bore.

Jim
Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
When I got my manual-brake '67 many years ago, the PO had installed some hot-dog semi-metallic pads, and the pedal effort to get normal braking force was beyond unacceptable. I pulled them and installed some standard Raybestos organic pads ($20 per axle set), and that was the cure - normal pedal effort, progressive brake response like you'd expect.

If your car was worse with organic pads than it is now with Hawk pads, you have some other brake problem. Is your pedal pushrod clevis in the top hole where it belongs?
Yes......that was the first thing I checked.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by kellsdad
If your brakes worked OK before you changed the calipers, and they don't work afterwards, the problem might be ........ the new calipers. Are they the stock replacements? Same size as before?
I might not have been clear in my explanation. New calipers didn't change brakes at all, just stopped the minor seapage.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The brake behavior you are describing is consistent with the master cyl. bore being larger than stock. It's also consistent with other causes, but you've pretty well ruled them out.

I'd pull the master cylinder apart and check the diameter of the bore.

Jim
What bore would be correct for a non-assisted car?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

If they were bad before and they're bad after the new calipers, pads and cleaned rotor, then I agree with Jim Lockwood. Something is not stock, quite possibly the master cylinder. If the master cylinder bore is too big, the force of your leg is being spread over a larger area reducing the PSI in the fluid going to the wheel cylinders. Result: too little pressure pushing the pads to the disc.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:28 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

My notes for my 65 say 7/8"
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The '65 master cylinder should look like/similar this:

http://www.cssbinc.com/1965-1966-cor...er-brakes.aspx

1" cylinder bore.

7/8" bore cylinder was used on drum brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with brake diagnosis

Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 AM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeM
The '65 master cylinder should look like/similar this:

http://www.cssbinc.com/1965-1966-cor...er-brakes.aspx

1" cylinder bore.

7/8" bore cylinder was used on drum brakes.
That's exactly what the one in the car looks like. I wonder if somehow it doesn't have the 1" bore.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 AM
Canuck62
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm with Jim,,, i think you have a master cylinder problem
if you pedal is firm,,, almost hard i would guess the cylinder is not releasing completely after applying brakes
I had this problem on my 62,, i know different master,, but it was pointed out to me by a forum member that the cylinder could be locking up... he told me how to check and he was right
I dont know how to check yours,,, but it might be worth looking at
Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

That's exactly what the one in the car looks like. I wonder if somehow it doesn't have the 1" bore.
FWIW, I've never seen a MC like that used for anything other than '65-'66 Corvette with manual brakes and they're all 1" bore. I'd SPECULATE that even if the bore was 1 1/8" you should still be able to slide the tires on a stop with heavy pressure and OEM type linings.

If it were me, I'd head to Auto Zone or other local parts store and buy the cheapest lined organic pads they had and put them on the car and figure on that fixing the problem.

Grasping at straws, make sure someone hasn't installed a pressure regulator in the lines somewhere before the first junction in the lines.

Another long shot, make sure the pedal will go all the way to the floor without hitting something under the dash.

Last edited by MikeM; 03-31-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with brake diagnosis