C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Documenting my '67? What's available?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:32 AM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Documenting my '67? What's available?

I have a question about documenting the origin of my recently purchased '67 coupe.

Am I correct to assume that my car was sold new in California because it has an HR code 327/300hp? I understand this means the car came new with an AIR pump (long ago removed), and only California cars came with this pollution control device in '67. Is this true?

I heard about a service offered by NCRS whereby they can tell you where your C2 was sold new based on the vehicle's VIN#. Is this true? What other information can they provide based on the VIN#? It would seem that Chevrolet did not keep records of exactly what options were installed on each specific VIN numbered car. Is this true? Or, were the records lost?

I hear some guys talking about "tank stickers" which list the options installed in each car. However, the previous owner told me he did have the gast tank down and there was no tank sticker, only tattered bits of dust.

So, can NCRS provide "tank stickers" for those of us who don't have this piece of documentation?

What other avenues do we have to verify the origin of our cars? I assume DMV's don't give out any info. Or, would they if the car / registraition is over a certain number of years?

Just wondering... Any of you had luck documenting your cars in this, or other ways?

Old 03-31-2015, 03:46 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

All that the NCRS can provide is the actual date of manufacture, and the delivery code of where the Car was first sent. If they have the information of what dealership that code was mated too, it will be included.

Not all the delivery codes have been sorted out though....

Its a piece of the puzzle, and hard to tell how important it would be. I wanted mine, so I spent the $40.

If you know the dealer, you could ask them (if they still exist) if they have any records. Most of the time, those records have been purged long ago, but hope springs eternal.

Also, once you know where it went, you could inquire if anyone remembers your car in the local clubs to that area. You could ask around the NCRS forum as well (if you are a member).

There are services that will hunt for your car's history for a fee... no guarantee of any specific results though.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Options are limited...I'd double check the tank sticker though. The NCRS report is VERY nice to have; it turned out the dealer for my split window coupe is still in biz in the same building in Texas all these years. I talked to the new owner (son of the original owner) for 45 minutes on the phone. He sent me an old pic of the dealership from the '60s and one of their metal dealer logos they put on cars back then...it was the last one he had.

You can also enter your VIN in http://www.c2registry.org/ and see if you get a hit on a previous owner.

Finally Bill Gould of Auto Ancestry can help for a fee; you'll have to search for his web site; I'm not permitted to post it on here...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-31-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Documenting my '67? What's available?

Quick Reply: Documenting my '67? What's available?