C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How do I removed all coolant from engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Default How do I removed all coolant from engine

I would like to drain all the water that is in the radiator and engine. Of course there is the valve at the bottom of the radiator but that will not get rid of the water in the engine. The two pipe plugs at bottom of engine are frozen up so I'm afraid I will break them off if I use to much force. Can I just remove one of the head bolts from the rear of the engine, stick a hose in the hole and siphon out the fluid. What do you think.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 AM
corvettekent
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Can I just remove one of the head bolts from the rear of the engine, stick a hose in the hole and siphon out the fluid. What do you think.
No.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:04 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I would like to drain all the water that is in the radiator and engine. Of course there is the valve at the bottom of the radiator but that will not get rid of the water in the engine. The two pipe plugs at bottom of engine are frozen up so I'm afraid I will break them off if I use to much force. Can I just remove one of the head bolts from the rear of the engine, stick a hose in the hole and siphon out the fluid. What do you think.
My plugs were also rusted solid after the car sat for 15 years. Spray some penetrating oil like PB Blaster on them. Do it more than once and wait a few days. Wipe off any excess then heat the area around them using a torch. Use a 6 point socket and long bar and they should break loose.

Gary
Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Patience Grasshopper......Patience

Patience is your best friend in this case. As Gary suggested use a six point socket and penetrating oil, adding more oil every few hours. Take a scribe or an awl and remove rust and crud periodically from around where the plug threads meet the block. That will allow more penetrating oil to migrate along the threads into the block. It might take a week or more but if you're patient enough and keep oiling them up, they eventually will break loose.....unless the plug heads are so badly rusted that you can't get a good bite on it with the socket.

Replace them with hex headed brass plugs (1/4" pipe thread I believe) and use pipe dope on them when reinstalling them. They don't have to be crazy tight, just enough to seal the drain hole. Good luck.

Thomas
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After you remove the steel plugs, replace them with petcock valves, same as you should have on your radiator. Make it lot easier to drain the engine next time.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:36 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Remove the T-stat and reinstall housing with no T-stat. Remove lower radiator from the water pump and top hose from the radiator. Hook up the exhaust end of your wet vac to the top radiator hose and turn it on.Flush with clean water and do it again, maybe multiple times. You may have to do the heater core after with a garden hose. The radiator you can just flush with a garden hose. If the system is rusty then you may want to run some cooling flush in the system before flushing.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pierre
After you remove the steel plugs, replace them with petcock valves, same as you should have on your radiator. Make it lot easier to drain the engine next time.
Unless it's a C2. I put petcocks on my car shortly after I got it and was finally able to remove the plugs. Then I had some starter grind and realized I was missing the front (to the car) starter support bracket. Now, after replacing the bracket I can't open the p/s petcock w/o removing that bracket first! You can bet that I'm going back to the plugs on the next flush.

Gary
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

I used some heat and was able to get the plugs out. I can not put in the little valves as the spark plug wire shield is in the way.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:47 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If you can't get the block drain plugs out (doubtful you can), take off the water pump and jack up the back of the car about 18".

Then run fresh water through the block from a garden hose, that will displace all the remaining coolant, but leave some water in the block.

The little bit of dissolved minerals in the hose water won't hurt anything.

Once back together , add six qts of AF,and fill the remainder with distilled water.

edit: you can probably leave the WP on,and just take off the lower rad hose and get the same effect.

Thius is something you want to do outside,a nd be sure and flush the AF well into teh lawn, or someplace where an animal won't drink it.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 04-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Default plug

I was a little leery of putting heat on the plugs for fear it may damage the block. And too, with water still in the engine I did not think the plug would heat up. I decided to try it anyway and pointed my acetylene torch right at the plug. I put a shield at the oil pan where it comes in contact with the block to keep the flame off the gasket. Got the plugs cherry red and still took a bit of force but both of them came right out. And to my surprise the area around the plugs were not hot at all or the paint damaged. Seems like the water that was in the block kept the block cool.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I was a little leery of putting heat on the plugs for fear it may damage the block. And too, with water still in the engine I did not think the plug would heat up. I decided to try it anyway and pointed my acetylene torch right at the plug. I put a shield at the oil pan where it comes in contact with the block to keep the flame off the gasket. Got the plugs cherry red and still took a bit of force but both of them came right out. And to my surprise the area around the plugs were not hot at all or the paint damaged. Seems like the water that was in the block kept the block cool.
See, I knew it would work! When all else fails, heat is your friend. Now you can do the job right and easily drain the block without removing the water pump, siphoning, turning the car upside down or sucking it out with a straw.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 04-02-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 PM
schmibm
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you just wanting to clean everything out good? Is this why your mission to remove all the water? Or are you doing this for another reason? If cleaning, have you tried any cleaners in the system yet? Plain white vinegar works very well and won't hurt the system. It will help remove rust and hard water scale. You just want to flush plenty to get the ph back to neutral.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:02 PM
split1963
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

is Vinegar ok for Aluminum radiators?
Old 02-02-2016, 04:16 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Good Job,

Go back with steel plugs like original after you run a tap through the threads to clean them up. Use some permatex #2 sealant on the plug threads and just snug them.

You will not have any more problems.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb
Good Job,

Go back with steel plugs like original after you run a tap through the threads to clean them up. Use some permatex #2 sealant on the plug threads and just snug them.

You will not have any more problems.
I'd recommend using a thread-chaser, not a tap - a tap will remove metal, and you don't want to do that.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2016, 05:23 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Plenty of good advice. I have had good luck just flushing as mentioned above with the T-Stat removed. Or, just drain and refill with distilled water and drive for 30 min. Then dump the fluid from radiator, and repeat. Do this 4-5 times and you have pretty much got it all.

With this method, you will have water in the system that you cannot remove. I just add a gallon of pure antifreeze, then a 50/50 mix after that to top off.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

- Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by ghostrider20:
Dave64 (04-17-2016), Gettysburg (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

+1 on the thread chaser idea, plus this is a good place for anti-seize.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I removed all coolant from engine

Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 PM
schmibm
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by split1963
is Vinegar ok for Aluminum radiators?
Vinegar is no issue for an aluminum radiator. I have done it many times. There are many radiator flush cleaners out there that do the same thing. They all say compatible with aluminum radiators. About 100% of all today's vehicles are aluminum radiators.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:19 AM
56early
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

One of the most effective ways of purging and filling a cooling system I have found with out all the threating harm of making a quick job a nightmare is using this tool UView 550000 airlift.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:30 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default How do you remove the coolant was the question!

And i will continue to share my unique tricks to help my fellow Corvette guys!

Tip the engine upside down!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-03-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Quick Reply: How do I removed all coolant from engine