C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I was thinking about making a restomod out of our 1958, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Default I was thinking about making a restomod out of our 1958, but...

I like original cars as well. You may remember my post where I showed pictures of an excellent barn find '58 I picked up last fall.

My concern would be that in 10 years today's restomods will have 10 year old technology and just be another NOM (non original motor) hot rod with old suspension while the original restoration cars will still be an original restoration and worth some $$.

Just thinking about new stuff and new stuff on the way, like computer controlled suspension, launch control, even higher horsepower on the horizon, paddle shift auto tranny's, traction control, radar adaptive cruise control, etc. This stuff is in new cars, but hasn't shown up on a restomod yet as far as I know. If I did do one, I would do everything I could to incorporate the latest, greatest into it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is all it takes.

I've been tracking stuff for sale have seen an uptick in original frames, suspension pieces, etc. I would guess there are many dozen restomods being built right now after the dreamer numbers seen at the BJ Auction in Scottsdale a few months ago. $200,000-$240,000 for the nice ones was the norm. I bet there will be 20-25 of them for sale at the 2016 BJ Scottsdale.

I just installed my new Bendpak two post-er over the weekend in my hobby shop and gave the car a ride to 70" off the floor. I ready to start, but...

Last edited by Randy G.; 03-31-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I love restomods and original cars, so I'm not biased (I think). IMHO that car, judging from your barn find thread, looks too nice to restomod. Especially since it is a 58, which is a special and unique year. I would restore that car to stock or near stock, and find another project with a rusty frame and missing most of its original parts to restomod.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:51 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

My concern would be that in 10 years today's restomods will have 10 year old technology and just be another NOM (non original motor) hot rod with old suspension while the original restoration cars will still be an original restoration and worth some $$.
I think that nails it.

There are Restmods out there going for 6 figures.... problem is, they cost 6 figures to build ( or at least, have built), and then deepening on the rake/stance final look, it may not appeal to enough buyer$ to get it sold.

If you really want a '58 with all the niceties and money isn't an issue... then heck, go for it. It sure would be nice to have a '58 that I could cruise comfortably across the US at a 72 Degree cabin temperature, averaging 75mph and sipping gas at an economical rate... but if I had one, I am not sure I'd do it anyway.

In your shoes, I'd probably split the difference and make it cosmetically a stock '58 with maybe minor performance upgrades to make it a fun car to use locally.

$.02
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say build the car the way you want it now, who cares what happens in ten years. enjoy it now.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't have a better picture of it but the burgundy-looking '62 in this shot is a Mike Coletta creation that is well over 10 years old; I've been parking beside it pretty regularly for 8 years.

It still gets ALL the attention at shows...even up against my split window coupe or '61. Folks will lean over my original '63 to take pictures of this C1.

IIRC it has had one engine upgrade and an interior refresh in that time. I don't think that's really exorbitant upkeep for a $150K car over that time period. Of course you might not notice any of the cars in the second picture.

I'm certainly not the guy to advocate chopping up a nice original piece, but, if done right restomods can stand the test of time
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-01-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell the one year only parts, update frame, suspension, engine and brakes. Those seeking part numbers are slowly heading out the door. The future buying generation is looking for style, comfort, trustworthy, and eye catching for a sport vehicle. Restomods are clearly dominating for resale and drivers. This is clearly the reason bodies with vin tags / titles bring almost as much as complete cars.
What ever you feel comfortable with is the winner.
By the way, I just assembled a Rotary lift. More money but with the weight of a car over my head I felt it was worth it. Again whatever one feels comfortable with.
Fink, I totally 150% agree with the last picture. Timeless, and never out of style.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Quote,

"My concern would be that in 10 years today's restomods will have 10 year old technology and just be another NOM (non original motor) hot rod with old suspension while the original restoration cars will still be an original restoration and worth some $$."

I do not buy and repair cars for profit. I do it for the enjoyment or the of the work and to keep my mind working

I can't think of anything more enjoyable than putting my own ideas into a project, be it if only making that part perfect' or modifying it to reflect my own desires or specific taste.

Very few persons embark in a hobby in order to make money. (and most don't)

However, That being said, I own a 32 Ford roadster that I modified 56 years ago that is worth as much or more than the average 32 Original Ford.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sadly, I think keeping up original cars may be more onerous than restomods at some point. If something happens to Tom Maxwell - who else is a guru with special tooling and skills to repair C1 wiper/washer systems? If Bob Kunz and a few others depart the hobby; you better hope you can get your WCFBs restored somewhere (and I don't mean throwing a $35 kit in them - I mean FULLY restored).

How many people are gonna stay up-to-snuff on tweaking our old center-link/kingpin front suspension in years to come ?

Something to think about!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:03 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I disagree with this. I think restomods is where the money in old Corvettes will be, in the next 10-20 years.

Unless you're talking about a fuelie or a big brake car, I haven't seen where 56-62 values, have grown all that much in recent years. The value of nicely done restomods, eclipsed most restore straight axles 4-5 years ago, and have never looked back.

I'm 60, I started playing with antique cars when I was 15, and did a body off restoration on a 1914 Motel T Ford, when I was 16. I played with pre-war cars for much of my life. About 20 years ago, the value of the basic antique car started to stagnate, while at the same time hot rod values have continued to grow. I'm talking about Ford's, Chevy's, Studebaker's and Dodge's, not the big classics like Duesenberg's or Cord's. The only people spending any good money on antique cars, are the ones who can't find a cheaper one to build their street rod from. I've had a lot of Corvette purist friends of mine get annoyed at me and argue with me, when I bring this up, but I've seen it happen in the old car hobby and see it happening to old Corvettes now.

The old car hobby is driven by nostalgia, especially the stock, restored part of it. People are not nostalgic, for something they didn't grow up with, and many of the people who grew up with early Corvettes, are getting pretty old.

Look how often people ask on the Forum about improving their steering, or installing power steering, on old Corvettes. This is especially true of the (few) new people coming into the hobby. People who have only been driving for the last 35-40 years, are use to creature comforts. They have no nostalgia for 18" steering wheels, skinny bias-ply tires, or hard flat seats. Instead, they expect power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and air conditioning. Most of them have never even driven a manual transmission! People may like the look of a 58 Corvette, how many of them like driving them with their drum brakes, and 1949 Chevy king pin front suspension.

After 45 years in the old car hobby, I've come to realize that eventually the nostalgic purists, all die off! When that happens, only the hot rodders are left.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't get the resto-mod thing. At least I don't get the prices. You have to keep in mind where the resto-mod cars are being sold - Barrett Jackson. BJ is the bottom end of the auction business. People who shop at Walmart buy cars at BJ. The top tier houses don't handle resto-mod cars. That's a sign.

NCRS restorations will always hold their value - or even increase. The resto-mod thing may very well end up like the Rat Rod fad of a few years back. It's too early to make predictions though.

An NCRS/BG restoration is a sure thing. The resto-mod thing may be a fad.

Write the big checks and hold your breath. You'll be upside down either way.

Richard Newton
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't have a better picture of it but the burgundy-looking '62 in this shot is a Mike Coletta creation that is well over 10 years old; I've been parking beside it pretty regularly for 8 years.

It still gets ALL the attention at shows...even up against my split window coupe or '61. Folks will lean over my original '63 to take pictures of this C1.

IIRC it has had one engine upgrade and an interior refresh in that time. I don't think that's really exorbitant upkeep for a $150K car over that time period. Of course you might not notice any of the cars in the second picture.

I'm certainly not the guy to advocate chopping up a nice original piece, but, if done right restomods can stand the test of time
Why is my wife at a corvette show? she told me she was going shopping with her mom! and why is my brother with her?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:47 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Restore the 58......restomod a Pinto.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
Restore the 58......restomod a Pinto.
This one is probably worth a couple bucks.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:48 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
...By the way, I just assembled a Rotary lift. More money but with the weight of a car over my head I felt it was worth it. Again whatever one feels comfortable with.
I researched all the two post lifts before I ordered a Bendpak. This comparison of Bendpak vs Rotory may have influenced my decision, BTW. A little eye opening...

http://www.bendpak.com/a-study-in-li...ft-Comparison/
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

First off, the *** end of that turquoise car in heels is spectacular. LOL
Second - in the 80's everyone was dropping Tuned Port Chevy motors into everything and they were "awesome". Now, yawn. They say "guy couldn't afford a real motor".

NCRS and original cars will ALWAYS be coveted. Resto-mods may be around forever, but the style of them may differ significantly in 3 years, 5 years, etc and then you have a car you dumped 125K into that is not desirable or "current" or "new" to the Resto-mod crowd at that point in time in the future. Do what you want, but your car is too straight to mess with and unless you're loaded - I ALWAYS spend my money on something has good chance at holding it's value. That's the original cars. Look at the Hemi Cudas a few years ago. 600K-1 Mil. Now, 135-200 all day long. The market is ever-changing, but the ones that have less volatility are the real McCoys. Just my two cents....and yes I am an NCRS member (proudly). ARA
Old 04-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
First off, the *** end of that turquoise car in heels is spectacular. LOL
Second - in the 80's everyone was dropping Tuned Port Chevy motors into everything and they were "awesome". Now, yawn. They say "guy couldn't afford a real motor".

NCRS and original cars will ALWAYS be coveted. Resto-mods may be around forever, but the style of them may differ significantly in 3 years, 5 years, etc and then you have a car you dumped 125K into that is not desirable or "current" or "new" to the Resto-mod crowd at that point in time in the future. Do what you want, but your car is too straight to mess with and unless you're loaded - I ALWAYS spend my money on something has good chance at holding it's value. That's the original cars. Look at the Hemi Cudas a few years ago. 600K-1 Mil. Now, 135-200 all day long. The market is ever-changing, but the ones that have less volatility are the real McCoys. Just my two cents....and yes I am an NCRS member (proudly). ARA
Good points. I am an NCRS member, too. I thought my membership number might be worth some money to the C3 guys but no one bit. It's #45471.

I'm not loaded, and I'm turning 60 this year so dumping stupid money is OK as long as it isn't too stupid. My wife is on board with whatever I do, but she has suggested it would be nice to recoup some of the money spent on it in our twilight years (whatever that means) if we decide to downsize. This isn't our only C1, and I would like a more reliable modern driver than the other two have proven to be. She says "Then by a C7."

I remember the day that if you abandoned your Hemi Cuda in the grocery store parking lot they would have it towed to impound or the wrecking yard because no one wanted a gas hog (late 70's). It cost too much to drive it home.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:15 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Good points. I am an NCRS member, too. I thought my membership number might be worth some money to the C3 guys but no one bit. It's #45471.

I'm not loaded, and I'm turning 60 this year so dumping stupid money is OK as long as it isn't too stupid. My wife is on board with whatever I do, but she has suggested it would be nice to recoup some of the money spent on it in our twilight years (whatever that means) if we decide to downsize. This isn't our only C1, and I would like a more reliable modern driver than the other two have proven to be. She says "Then by a C7."

I remember the day that if you abandoned your Hemi Cuda in the grocery store parking lot they would have it towed to impound or the wrecking yard because no one wanted a gas hog (late 70's). It cost too much to drive it home.
Your wife's point regarding liking to recoup some of the money is exactly my sentiment. Build a nice 383 and dress it as a 327. Put a 5 speed in it, but retain the original center console. Put AC in it, but hide the ducting. You can have your cake and eat it too - with some money left in the bank....LOL....Again, it's your car - do what you want. You can have a billet-clad motor with a serpentine belt system and AC and a 5 speed and upgraded suspension and original looking rims with wider tires while still retaining the original exterior appearance of the beautiful car. Not 150K build, but not a 327 with a Carter either. ARA

Get notified of new replies

To I was thinking about making a restomod out of our 1958, but...

Old 04-05-2015, 03:24 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I researched all the two post lifts before I ordered a Bendpak. This comparison of Bendpak vs Rotory may have influenced my decision, BTW. A little eye opening...

http://www.bendpak.com/a-study-in-li...ft-Comparison/
Who did the survey .... Bend Pak. Is it slanted ? My guess is Slightly. They say assembled in USA... They come in a steel strapped pallet. The user does the assembly. When I asked a dealer where is this lift is manufactured the answer was " its a world market , not totally manufactured in the United States ".
In my area most commercial shops have Rotary lifts. Maybe they get a great price, maybe they feel more confident in the structure. Its anyones guess.
I looked them all over, touched, felt, read literature and felt Rotary was the best fit for me. Despite the negative campaigns, this one is better than that brand, there are numerous lift manufacturers building products that will give years of safe trouble free service.
The one you choose to buy will be the one that instilled confidence in you and your budget . Just as there are differences in Vegas vs Corvettes, ones choice is the determining factor that create the mind set in the final purchase.
I wish you many trouble free decades using the Bend Pak system.

Last edited by chevahaulic; 04-05-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM
torquepower85
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this rustoration job. "BendPak creates a one-of-a-kind lift for Vegas Rat Rods".

http://www.bendpak.com/vegas-rat-rods/
Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

If you go resto, the motor may be outdated in 10 years, but you can upgrade that. LS1's are coming up on 17 years old and they are still extremely popular - and they are adaptable to different looks - carb, 8 stack, turbo.

An original car is going to look good as long as you don't drive it much, which is good because they aren't as much fun to drive long distances.

So, it boils down to intended use - do you really intend to put miles on it - and how rare/original is it?

My opinion is that cars that maintain original exterior styling with modern reliability are going to hold their value on a par with original cars with SHP engines.

Quick Reply: I was thinking about making a restomod out of our 1958, but...