C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Barn Find 1960 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 AM
skip57
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a PM
Old 04-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 779 Likes on 533 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Looks like a good project but I would plan on replacing the frame. Look at the top of the steering wheel hub, it hasn't been turned in a long time. I don't think it's been staged, but I don't buy 20 yrs either. Probably drug it out of a barn that was falling down.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:00 PM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default The waiting is killing me ?? Is it For Sale??

Dave

Originally Posted by Bigplanetman
I know nothing about Corvettes but happened upon this car which may be available. It has a 283 motor with 4 speed transmission. Owner has had it parked for 20+ years. What should I find out next? Any thoughts on what it's worth?
Pictures show up properly on this link - for some reason they show up 90 degrees off if I post to this forum
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-1960-a.html
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Bigplanetman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn Find 1960 Corvette

Dave
Sorry for the wait!
Don't want to raise the price by appearing overly interested. I'm a Realtor and have buyers who have submitted an offer on the house across the street from his. I'm waiting on our offer to be accepted on the house. My plan is to drop by his house while doing an inspection at the other house. If that doesn't happen I'll end up calling the guy and taking it from there
Art

Originally Posted by 65specialk
Dave
Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Dave
Sorry for the wait!
Don't want to raise the price by appearing overly interested. I'm a Realtor and have buyers who have submitted an offer on the house across the street from his. I'm waiting on our offer to be accepted on the house. My plan is to drop by his house while doing an inspection at the other house. If that doesn't happen I'll end up calling the guy and taking it from there
Art
10K for a complete 60 ??????? I haven't seen those prices for the last 15 years. It would bring 25k in a fire sale and the phone would never quit ringing. I have been looking for a project car in the 30-35 range for the past four or so years and haven't come up with candidates this good. Perfect restomod candidate with builders paying stupid money for the body, title, and tags.
If the finder has very little knowledge of older Corvettes how did he determine it was a 60 ??
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Bigplanetman
Cruising

The owner told me it was a 1960 as well as telling me the engine size etc...

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
10K for a complete 60 ??????? I haven't seen those prices for the last 15 years. It would bring 25k in a fire sale and the phone would never quit ringing. I have been looking for a project car in the 30-35 range for the past four or so years and haven't come up with candidates this good. Perfect restomod candidate with builders paying stupid money for the body, title, and tags.
If the finder has very little knowledge of older Corvettes how did he determine it was a 60 ??
Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

The owner told me it was a 1960 as well as telling me the engine size etc...

A N D , ...... you didn't ask if he would consider selling it ????????? Perfect opportunity while he is speaking of it.
Now that many ears are up about possibly buying it ........ you leave us hanging for the next installment .... That's cruel & unusual punishment.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Bigplanetman
Cruising

I did ask if he wanted to sell it and he said he might. Since I knew I didn't know enough to make an intelligent offer I said I'd do some research and get back to him. I immediately posted pictures and questions here as I knew you guys could provide the knowledge I lack.
The good news is that my real estate client's offer for the house across the street has been accepted so I have the excuse to meet up with the owner during the home inspection and give the car a good going over.

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
A N D , ...... you didn't ask if he would consider selling it ????????? Perfect opportunity while he is speaking of it.
Now that many ears are up about possibly buying it ........ you leave us hanging for the next installment .... That's cruel & unusual punishment.

Last edited by Bigplanetman; 04-13-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:59 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

If you need a frame... plan on $5-7K for an original one or $7.5K for a tube frame from SRIII (plus shipping charges)

Original 62 Corvette Frame's (Seguin Tx)
I have two 62 corvette frames in great condition with only minor surface rust, no holes. These came out of driving cars. One is bare roller the other has engine & powerglide trans. Asking $6500.00 & $7500.00. Can deliver for more $.

1960 Corvette complete rolling chassis - $7500 (Bellaire)
Complete rolling chassis for 1960 Corvette, frame and chassis parts, all suspension, all steering, complete rear end with suspension and sway bars, complete brake system, brake and fuel lines, very good condition on a very low mile car. Built a restomod with new frame and all new corvette suspension and steering, new ls3 and 6 speed trans. Have many other parts that can be bought , set of Al Knoch recovered black seats, black carpet original stainless all, complete windshield frame, original door windows, stainless fuel and brake lines, complete exhaust including exhaust manifolds and mufflers, show chromed windshield post, nos 1970 4 speed m-20 transmission, 1965 327 corvette engine, original gas tank and repro gas tank in box, 3 original welded wheels , gm repro hub caps with spinners. Many other parts that are not needed now. Call Dave @ 231-533-6969 Mon. thru Fri. Dave's Collision and Car Repair. Please call I will not respond to e-mails with all of the spam out there.

You can find running driving projects for under $40... if persistent and lucky

1961 Corvette, driver - $37500 (Running Springs, CA)
This is an excellent car to restore. It is complete. It needs paint, chrome & interior.
It has a good solid California frame. It has black/yellow plates. It has always been in CA.
The body is good. Has a small repair on the left front fender.
Hard top only.
This car has been driven daily the last 5 years. It does not have it's correct motor. It has a 400" small block with dual 4's. Runs excellent. Burns no oil. It has a doug nash 5 speed with 1 to 1 ratio 5th gear. Non-posi rear end.

1960 CORVETTE ROADSTER - $40000 (Arcadia)
1960 Corvette Roadster serial #00867S108073, frame -off restoration started- car is a daily driver, runs and drives great. Non-matching #'s 1965 283 Chevelle motor with 4-barrell carb. Original 3-speed transmission with original shifter. Powder coated frame, new brakes, new brake lines, new wiring, quick-steering adapter, new fuel pump, rebuilt carb, rebuilt radiator. Comes with soft-top frame and bows that need restoration. Rally wheels, current registration/pink slip with yellow and black plates.
Needs paint and upholstery. No need to bring the trailer, you can drive this car home. $40,000
Please call Eight Oh Five- eight THREE 5-Five one 8 six emails will not be responded to car is located in Arcadia, CA
Once you get past 40... you start to find Condition 3 drivers...

1959 Chevrolet Corvette - $48900 (Richmond KY)

If you are just itchin' for a project and cost isn't an issue... I guess it doesn't really matter where you start and how much you spend as an entry fee.

PS
If you haven't seen it already, I have a Opinions on these C1/C2s thread where I post leads to complete cars for sale, as well as a (WTB) Project Files C1/C2 thread where I list any projects I find. Its been going for several months now so you can get an idea of what the ask has been for condition 3ish drivers (I generally just post sub $50K complete cars) and projects since Oct of 2014.

Last edited by Revfan; 04-14-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Faslane
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

show up with 100 dollar bills, if a person has had a car a long time the prefer (like pulling of a band aid) simple and quick, cash is king
Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

as far as your photos being rotated....

Sometimes, the photo viewer on your computer automatically corrects them for viewing on your computer, but doesn't change the actual photo. So if you turned your camera to take the photo, the actual photo is horizontal instead of vertical.

Your computer's viewer detects that and shows it to you vertical, but doesn't change the photo unless you specifically tell it to.

So when you up load it to the internet, the "raw" photo is still horizontal, and that is how it displays.

I am not saying this is your problem, it just "could" be your problem

What photo management software do you have on your computer?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Bigplanetman
Cruising

Default Barn Find 1960 Corvette - more pictures

OK - I fixed the photo orientation

I stopped by yesterday but the owner was sick so I couldn't get any more information about his interest in selling. I did take more pictures however
Attached Images       
Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

The plus side is it won't take you long to strip the paint!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Bigplanetman
Cruising

Default Barn Find 1960 Corvette - more pictures

That's a fact!!

Originally Posted by Revfan
The plus side is it won't take you long to strip the paint!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

That's still a cool find!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:41 AM
Bigplanetman
Cruising

Finally got him to give me a price. He wants $25,000
Matching numbers with twin 4 barrel on a 283. Supposedly all original car.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:06 AM
jackal396
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Did you buy it? I would for that price and I am sure many others on this site would also.

jp

Last edited by jackal396; 05-06-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Barn Find 1960 Corvette

Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Well if its supposedly an all original car, you'll want to bring it back to its original glory, in my opinion. However, at 25k I'm not sure if you'll get your money back out of it, if your intention is to buy it, restore it, and flip it.

It would be a fun project though if money was no object.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

I am also on the search for a C-1. The only issue I have with cars priced less than 30k is their condition needs so much more money to bring them back. With expensive replacement parts and labor I would like to start with a better example which would speed the process to driver status.
It is a great project though for someone with a lot of patience and hands on experience. Great to see it get a better life than dissolving into the earth.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

That's what I ran into. My '61 was 30k, and I'm pouring money into it, but not cosmetically, as it is 'good enough' to be a driver when I get it running. The dash, interior, chrome, trim, etc were never outside and weathered. The paint is old and has many flaws, but still shines. The car was never 'disrespected'. Doing restoration work, as you know, the devil is in the details. Once a car has been neglected and placed outside long term, you get corrosion and rust in every nook and cranny. Undoing that damage is a real time killer, and for me, a deal breaker. Having to re-chrome and re-finish virtually every component is very, very, expensive. Always cheaper to buy a better car or a restored car. Field cars end up needing every little item rebuilt: gages, window regulators, and on and on.

Quick Reply: Barn Find 1960 Corvette