C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Quick help with 1964 parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:51 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Default Quick help with 1964 parking brake

Well folks I did it- I drove off with my parking brake set and drive for several miles. It seemed to be holding before and now it doesn't even try.

On my '64 with new shoes and hardware, can anyone tell me easily how to adjust my parking brake back into operation? I have backed up and done the self adjusters many time and my pedal is firm, only the parking brake is inoperable.

I'm hoping to take the car 3 hours to the Biltmore tomorrow. If I park on a reasonably level surface should I be worried about leaving it in reverse overnight? My engine seems to have good compression but I wasn't sure what the overnight effect might be, and didn't want it to roll (or suffer the indignity with my wife of having to scotch a wheel!!!)

Thanks men, I only have a few hours to work this out. I used the search key but only found disc brake advice.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:15 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Well folks I did it- I drove off with my parking brake set and drive for several miles. It seemed to be holding before and now it doesn't even try.

On my '64 with new shoes and hardware, can anyone tell me easily how to adjust my parking brake back into operation? I have backed up and done the self adjusters many time and my pedal is firm, only the parking brake is inoperable.

I'm hoping to take the car 3 hours to the Biltmore tomorrow. If I park on a reasonably level surface should I be worried about leaving it in reverse overnight? My engine seems to have good compression but I wasn't sure what the overnight effect might be, and didn't want it to roll (or suffer the indignity with my wife of having to scotch a wheel!!!)

Thanks men, I only have a few hours to work this out. I used the search key but only found disc brake advice.
Try adjusting the cable underneath.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:30 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I'd never done it, so I wasn't sure how to hold my mouth. However, after all that adjusting and the drive home the other day...I just went out to the garage and it gets FIRM after just a few clicks! I wonder why, but I'm happy.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick help with 1964 parking brake

Quick Reply: Quick help with 1964 parking brake