C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's it worth, 63 Silver Blue 340hp, L@@k

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Too many bankers and speculators in this thread for it to be a hobby.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:37 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Beautiful 63...

Someday...yup, I said it, like others have said before, someday, as it languishes there with cobwebs forming from the ground up the tires, someday I hope to start a restoration that will have my 63 back to it's former glory when it rolled off the assembly line.

And I already know and have come to the realization, that what monies I put into it, I won't be getting back out of it. Do I care? Nope, not one bit. For me, it's going to be about the hobby and fun times I hope to have with my sons while doing it. And someday, it will be given to one of them to be the caregiver.

In answer to your question though...I would say in the $50k range...

See if you can check out past Mecum auctions and ebay and see what similar ones have sold for.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I think everyone is low balling this car. Let's call it a #2 car. Now go to Hagerty. The average value is $58,800. It could go as high as $80,000.

Everyone knocks Hagerty but there is no better source. We're talking a sophisticated algorithm vs. anecdotal evidence. I spent too many hours in graduate level stat courses to believe in anecdotal evidence.

Sure Hagerty is not perfect. It's certainly not the NASDAQ but is a starting point. It's a lot better than "My buddy just sold …."

The real problem here is to separate the signal from the noise.

I would list this car at maybe $75,000 and see what happens.

These cars are quickly leaving the hobbyist behind. They're moving into the collectible category.

Richard Newton
'58 Interior Blog
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

just a question Richard,, as I am curious.
what is the point in listing a 63 nom conv for 75 when all other similar cars, though maybe not with all the recent mechanical and interior work are priced from high 30s to high 40s, maybe low 50s in rare cases?
I ask this as someone who is seriously upside down in a 65 L76 conv that is all born with. I might dream it should bring around 75, but I know the market is not there for my car. And I sure as heck know it is not there for a 64, or 63 L76 conv.
Doesn't the market place set the actual value of a collectible anything?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You're absolutely correct.

The problem here is determining the market value. None of us really know since the market is rather small. We're all guessing.

Hagerty is the best data base we have. It's far from perfect but it's all we've got. You could also check the auction results but they're more problematic than Hagerty.

I sort of pulled $75K out of the hat. People will then haggle down to $65K. Everyone leaves the experience happy.

The collectible market is like the wild west. No one really knows.

Actually Corvettes are in two distinct markets at the same time. We have the hobbyist cars at #3 and #4. Then we have the NCRS/BG cars that are truly collectible objects.

We're getting the same two levels in the auctions. BJ is for the average hobbyist as is Mecum. Then we have the really serious auctions run by RM and David Gooding.

It's all a little crazy. Now if we had several hundred cars trading daily we could build a really nice algorithm

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 04-24-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65hihp
...what is the point in listing a 63 nom conv for 75 when all other similar cars, though maybe not with all the recent mechanical and interior work are priced from high 30s to high 40s, maybe low 50s in rare cases?
Yeah. That's the 'reality' part where the market talks.
The Hagerty guide is fun mental masturbation, but I wouldn't say its the gold standard. If so, I'm hanging on to my strong #2 split window cuz it has another $20K to get back to where it was at the turn of the century
Old 04-15-2015, 07:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Does Hargerty get their values from actual sales or do they get the value for what some of these insureds THINK their plug is worth?

Just curious.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Hagerty doesn't name the source of their data; they merely claim it is up-to-date, accurate without price bias or prejudice (whatever that means).
Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Hagerty doesn't name the source of their data; they merely claim it is up-to-date, accurate without price bias or prejudice (whatever that means).
I think their top end prices are pretty high. Think. Higher values placed on the cars result in higher premiums. Wouldn't make much difference on one insured's car but how about a couple thousand?

I can't help but smell a rat here.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If the original poster is hell bent on selling his car then I think the best way is to list it on eBay.

If you have a minimum amount that you just have to have then put that as the reserve. If not, list it for no reserve and you'll get what ever it reaches at the end of the auction.

I think the car will bring very close to $50K on eBay but you never really know..you might get a surprise.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:31 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowlerdude
If the original poster is hell bent on selling his car then I think the best way is to list it on eBay.

If you have a minimum amount that you just have to have then put that as the reserve. If not, list it for no reserve and you'll get what ever it reaches at the end of the auction.

I think the car will bring very close to $50K on eBay but you never really know..you might get a surprise.
and I see that the car is listed on the bay now. Good luck with the sale
Old 04-15-2015, 09:19 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Good luck with the sale! The car really is very nice!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think their top end prices are pretty high. Think. Higher values placed on the cars result in higher premiums. Wouldn't make much difference on one insured's car but how about a couple thousand?

I can't help but smell a rat here.
Here's a blurb that gives some clues into Hagerty's valuation. Thought process:
Drivers of this month’s increase *
Expert sentiment is up in the wake of strong middle-market sales at Amelia and extremely rational bidding at the very top of the market. Year-over-year dollar volume was up over 30% at Amelia, but part of that can of course be attributed to Bonhams' entry into the Amelia Island auctions for the first time in 2015.

Private sales were extremely robust in March. Average sale price was up 13% year-over-year.

The percentage of cars selling at about their insured value was at an all-time high. Over 36% of private sales tracked were at amounts in excess of insured value.
The market is on an uptick it appears. Might be time to adjust our mental estimates to reflect that.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments and good discussion that certainly goes beyond my particular car.

I'd like to have you guys consider it from another perspective.

Someone brought up the idea; why price a value near other cars that have original motors and that a buyer would gravitate to them instead of NOM.

What about a buyer that is more concerned with a great car that is all restored/refreshed from a mechanical standpoint. Might this kind of buyer place a higher value on an example that has had all this work done? Knowing that the seller is not going to get all the money back but it will be more cost effective for the buyer to spend a little more. This buyer could be savy enough to know that if he bought another car at market price and then tried to do all the mechanical things they would then spend more money than my ask!

People always say that usually the best deals are restored cars where the sellers are never going to get back all the money it took to get it there.

Hope this is making sense.

I know this. If someone bought another car in the $40k range, there is no way they could do all that I have done and only be in the car at 58,500, which is what I've decided to price mine at. Realistically they wound be at least $10k more into it.

So in my mind the buyer of my car ( the kind I'm looking to find) would realize they are getting a pretty damn good deal.

Guess we'll see
Old 04-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Colorado '63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Just found this thread so a couple thoughts:
Ebay is weak right now, especially in the $50k range. I've bid on two cars, won both bids at $40,100 and $37,000. Both cars were as good as this one and of course neither seller went thru at the Ebay price. We couldn't agree on a more reasonable price either so the cars are still on the market.

Hagerty is what I show my wife to convince her I got a great deal.

You know you've reached the upper limit when you're looking for a buyer dumb enough to not do his market research but smart enough to have the money for an expensive toy. How many of those are there?

No matter what you do to your car, you add something the buyer doesn't want and omit something he does want.

I used to be a real estate appraiser and these things apply to buying a house too.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Colorado2
Ebay is weak right now, especially in the $50k range. I've bid on two cars, won both bids at $40,100 and $37,000. Both cars were as good as this one and of course neither seller went thru at the Ebay price. We couldn't agree on a more reasonable price either so the cars are still on the market.

Hagerty is what I show my wife to convince her I got a great deal.

You know you've reached the upper limit when you're looking for a buyer dumb enough to not do his market research but smart enough to have the money for an expensive toy. How many of those are there?

No matter what you do to your car, you add something the buyer doesn't want and omit something he does want.

I used to be a real estate appraiser and these things apply to buying a house too.
As an appraiser, you know that market price is the intersection of the price the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to sell. You just happened to arrive at the price buyers were willing to pay on that venue, on that day - but not at the price sellers were willing to sell.

There are other venues that may bring other buyers that are willing to pay more and sellers are willing to pay less.

If I owned a car of the caliber of the 3 you're talking about, I wouldn't sell them at your bid level either, and I doubt you would.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:44 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado2
So you won both cars and the seller backed out? Or do you mean you had the high bid when the auction ended, but the reserve wasn't met? If you had the high bid when the auction ended, but it wasn't what the reserve was, is that really winning?

I thought eBay auctions are a binding contract, is they not?

Get notified of new replies

To What's it worth, 63 Silver Blue 340hp, L@@k

Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
So you won both cars and the seller backed out? Or do you mean you had the high bid when the auction ended, but the reserve wasn't met? If you had the high bid when the auction ended, but it wasn't what the reserve was, is that really winning?

I thought eBay auctions are a binding contract, is they not?
Exactly.

If I bid on a car and do not meet a reserve I've won nothing nor am I establishing a true market value with one single observation. I really like how Zoomin put it.

BTW I never expected the car to sell on the auction but it did draw attention and several interested local parties.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:27 AM
Colorado '63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bluestreak63

I apparently didn't explain things well. I meant to show that an "auction" where things sell isn't the only thing going on on Ebay. Some people are testing the market (like me) to see who's out there and how high they are willing to go. I would put in a nearly reasonable bid but Ebay only bumps me up $100 at a time depending on who else is there to push up the price. I found I had no competition and would be the high bidder, but at a price no seller would/should accept. No problem with that. In my case the after-auction negotiations with the sellers didn't result in a sale so no comps there. Don's comment that he was just promoting his car and didn't really expect to sell it right then is in line with "you can do other things with Ebay."

Zoomin's definition of market price is not quite right: "market price is the intersection of the price the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to sell." If that was right an exceptionally high or low sale could start a new market. A market is a pattern from multiple sales involving knowledgeable buyers and sellers . If a reserve price is outside the normal market range, it doesn't mean it will never sell, it just means that you have to find that one exceptional buyer that is outside the description of "typical buyer".

Being a good buyer or seller requires being "knowledgeable". And that's what this blog is about. I'm just here learning.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:22 PM
kstine98
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Beautiful car!

This is my honest opinion and you did ask, so please do not take offense. I think you've done a wonderful job with the car but it is lacking its original engine. Matching number 63 convertible 340hp cars that are restored sell in the range of 50,000-60,000 on average, mostly towards the bottom of that range. So, i am putting your car at $42,000-45,000 range. Again, it is a beautiful car!
I would be a buyer at that range!

Quick Reply: What's it worth, 63 Silver Blue 340hp, L@@k