C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel line fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Mikey Hawks
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Fuel line fitment

I saw a member posted a thread called "fuel line help for a dumbass". I believe I have him beat. I can't understand why so called Corvette parts won't fit together.

As you can see in the first 2 pics, my fuel filter is way off the manifold (over 2").

In the third pic it's more obvious.

In the last pic, the male side of the 90 degree fitting doesn't screw into the female side of the filter fitting. The sizes are not the same.

I spent more time staring at it and scratching my head than I did putting the whole motor together. WTF am I doing wrong? Should I have just used rubber hose? Please help me.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

is that a original spacer under the carburetor?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The GF-90 fuel filter does not 'float free' .. there is a bracket that holds it up some so that will help a little.
That AFB spacer is what is on my carb too.

The line coming straight out of the carb with the bend in it is backwards...look at the arrow in my picture; try reversing it.
You do not have the proper 45* fitting in the front of the carb for the fuel line to attach to; see the red circle in my picture.
You should NOT have the 45* fitting on the front of the fuel filter...it belongs on the front of the carb

Next, the fittings at the forward end of the fuel filter are all wrong too....see my second "blown up" picture.
That fliz in the green circle in your picture shouldn't be there...

Finally, that doesn't look like the correct GF-90 fuel filter -- there are several things hinkey about it....that sure ain't helping...

No offense, but you aren't the guy that did the plumbing on my house by any chance. If so, I want to talk to you
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-15-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Mikey Hawks
Instructor

Mel, no that is not the original spacer. There was none when I got the car. I saw a thread here that said it was necessary to keep the carb from overheating. Do you know how thick it should be? Maybe I have the wrong one.

Frankie, the filter does have a bracket on it but it comes nowhere near the stud on the manifold. Also, if I turn the line from the carb around, I don't have any 90 degree fittings that fit into the 1/8" fitting that screws into the filter. I'm having trouble finding something online and I'm also unsure of the size I should be looking for.
I'm gonna go out to the garage and turn it around to see if it helps.

Thanks, the pictures are a big help but I still need the right fittings.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Mikey Hawks
Mel, no that is not the original spacer. There was none when I got the car. I saw a thread here that said it was necessary to keep the carb from overheating. Do you know how thick it should be? Maybe I have the wrong one.

Frankie, the filter does have a bracket on it but it comes nowhere near the stud on the manifold. Also, if I turn the line from the carb around, I don't have any 90 degree fittings that fit into the 1/8" fitting that screws into the filter. I'm having trouble finding something online and I'm also unsure of the size I should be looking for.
I'm gonna go out to the garage and turn it around to see if it helps.

Thanks, the pictures are a big help but I still need the right fittings.
You can play around until the cows come home; without the right fittings you're screwed.
Here is everything you need but the filter and bracket:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...ine-stainless/

Here is the assembly manual drawing for the setup (you may have that carb line right after all, not 100% sure on that, but my other advice still goes):

Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-15-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:19 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like all you need to do is follow Frankie's advice on flipping the line from the carb to the filter and adding a 90 degree fitting onto the end of that line. If you look at your 3rd pic, remove the fitting in the green circle and that 90 degree fitting fit into the filter.. In fact if you take that 90 degree fitting off and take it to your local auto parts store they can match it with another one and you should be good to go.

Don
Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Mikey Hawks
Instructor

Frankie, your car looks like the assembly manual but when I took all the pieces and tried putting them together they just aren't right.

That's a GF90 AC/Delco filter from Corvette America. It has 1/8" female threads on both sides. Without that "fliz" there's no way to connect the other lines to the filter.

The diagram you posted is a help. Like you said, after just trying to switch it, it did no good.

Don, you're saying if I can get a 90 degree fitting with a 1/8" male end to thread into the filter I might be on to something.

I'll look at Zip for the parts and let you guys know how it turns out.
Thanks to all.

BTW, I didn't do the plumbing at your house Frank but if you need me I'm just a couple key strokes away.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

What Intake do you have on there...'stock for you application'?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:09 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes I think that would do it Mike!

don
Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Mikey Hawks
Instructor

So...I ordered a new fuel line from Long Island Corvette. Frankie was right to say that the fitting in the carb is the wrong one. Not only that but the 90 degree elbows were the wrong size as well. They did not fit the GF90 filter, which has the 1/8" threads. I have everything dry fit and tomorrow I'll get the correct inlet fitting and move on.

Thank you all who helped out. Your experience is what guys like me look for when we screw up.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel line fitment

Quick Reply: Fuel line fitment