C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Good day

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good day

Hey yall I just finished the front and rear brakes on bro-n-laws 59.I just pulled mast cylinder, I have a rebuild kit from NAPA.I'll post pics,I like to know if yall can tell me if its original and any tips on rebuild.Thanks, Eddie
Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Default A good day

I'm trying to link this post to my previous posts.I'm interested to see if this is original master cylinder and if anyone can help with rebuild of master cylinder.Thanks Eddie
Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunclicker
I'm trying to link this post to my previous posts.I'm interested to see if this is original master cylinder and if anyone can help with rebuild of master cylinder.Thanks Eddie
Looks original to me.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as rebuilding goes its about as simple as they get. Hone it out and check for pitting. If it is to severe you can send it out to be sleeved by one of the vendors.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Default A good day

There was a good bit of pitting at bottom of cylinder,got almost all of it out honing.There looks like a real small orifice maybe .030 right after the about 3/16 hole is that correct.If so its is plugged on this one.The service manual shows a hole there.I couldn't get the smallest tip cleaner through it.I got penetrating oil soaking in it.If someone knows about the orifice and the very slight pitting that I didn't remove please let me know.I have that rebuild kit and could put it in but if the cylinder needs to be almost perfect it will have to get resleeved.Thanks Eddie
Old 04-17-2015, 04:26 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

There was a good bit of pitting at bottom of cylinder,got almost all of it out honing.There looks like a real small orifice maybe .030 right after the about 3/16 hole is that correct.If so its is plugged on this one.The service manual shows a hole there.I couldn't get the smallest tip cleaner through it.I got penetrating oil soaking in it.If someone knows about the orifice and the very slight pitting that I didn't remove please let me know.I have that rebuild kit and could put it in but if the cylinder needs to be almost perfect it will have to get resleeved.Thanks Eddie
If it took that much honing, the bore is probably shaped more like a carrot than a straight piece of tubing; not a great idea to do "Bubba" things to master cylinders. Your call, but I'd have it sleeved and never worry about it again.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

White Post may be the best place to get this work done for this MC……..although other shops like Apple Hydraulics and Lone Star would also be excellent.

Larry
Old 04-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Get one of your wife's safety pins and poke it thru the hole up above in the reservoir. Blow it out with air. As John said above it made need to be re-sleeved. Whitepost does an excellent job.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Redbird
Get one of your wife's safety pins and poke it thru the hole up above in the reservoir. Blow it out with air. As John said above it made need to be re-sleeved. Whitepost does an excellent job.
Ye your right, I think I will send it off to one of the places yall recommended.We can't take a chance on the brakes and this master cylinder had a mixture of water and sludge.I been blowing lines out almost all day.Thanks Eddie
Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Ye your right, I think I will send it off to one of the places yall recommended.We can't take a chance on the brakes and this master cylinder had a mixture of water and sludge.I been blowing lines out almost all day.Thanks Eddie
As I said earlier Whitepost may be your best bet for this particular MC. However, if you call Lonestar, talk to Ken (Owner/manager) and tell him Larry from C2 Corvette Forum recommended him. He promised me a few months ago that he would take care of the CF guys.

Larry
Old 04-18-2015, 10:05 PM
cajunclicker
Advanced

Thanks for the info, I am going to send it to White post but I decided to put the kit in it to see if I could flush the lines with new brake fluid.It pumped good and I was able to flush a lot of fluid through all the lines.I pulled it off and will send it to White post Monday AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Thanks for the info, I am going to send it to White post but I decided to put the kit in it to see if I could flush the lines with new brake fluid.It pumped good and I was able to flush a lot of fluid through all the lines.I pulled it off and will send it to White post Monday AM.
Good decision.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Good day

Quick Reply: Good day