C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Frank Hermann
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Temp gauge

Last year I overheated and the temp gauge went all the way up. Since then I have not been able to get a correct reading. I changed the thermostat,purchased a new temp sender with resistor to match from Long Island Corvette and the guage still reads in the Orange. When I brought this to my local parts store they said to use a standard temp sender.quess what--no difference!
Can any one shed some thought on this or do I just need to replace the gauge?
Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

OK...you have done a lot of work.

From what I know about gauges when I talk to my gauge restorer....the temp gauge will display what it is being given as an ohm signal from the sender. And...not knocking any vendor/manufacturer...but what I do know about sending units....the amount of ohms when the sender is sending to the gauge when it is getting hotter beings to change and this value is so tight....that when GM made their senders they were made with VERY TIGHT TOLERANCES.....the new ones of today can be good to a point and then freak out....making you 'think' that it is overheating...when actually the engine is NOT. That is when I install my racing temp gauge and check it out with that. That way I KNOW it is what it is....and the sender is CRAP..and needs to be dialed in. I had one a short while ago...read fine initially and then went to where it was 100 degrees off on the gauge.

Depending on if you have gotten all the air out of the engine block....you can still have trapped air in the heads. Which is why I do a trick the the thermostat.

There might be nothing wrong with the original sender....especially if the block had trapped air in it. If you think I am crazy....go to my PROFILE...and one of my 'friends' ...'Tommy82'....PM him and ask him what I told him to do to stop the overheating problem he had....where his gauge was really high also.

You can PM me and I will give you my shop phone number and you can call me and I can talk to you about it if your care to do so. It won't cost you anything but your time and a phone call.

Are you sure you corrected the problem that initially caused it to overheat???

Not meaning to be a smart @ss.....but other than the gauge reading high....did it overheat and either puke coolant like crazy...or when you opened the hood...the heat about knocked you down??

DUB
Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Hermann
Last year I overheated and the temp gauge went all the way up. Since then I have not been able to get a correct reading. I changed the thermostat,purchased a new temp sender with resistor to match from Long Island Corvette and the guage still reads in the Orange. When I brought this to my local parts store they said to use a standard temp sender.quess what--no difference!
Can any one shed some thought on this or do I just need to replace the gauge?
Thanks
Shoot the temperature sending unit with an IR gun and get the true temperature. Compare to your gage. Remove the green sending unit wire and hookup an multimeter to the sending unit and get the sending unit resistance to ground.

We have charts thats compare this resistance to temperature. Check the archives or let me know, and I will provide.

The Wells TU-5 sending unit is cheap and accurate. Most auto parts store sell them.

Larry
Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

When you unplug the sender the gauge should go to zero and stay there. If you ground the plug the gauge should max out. Try that and report back

Get notified of new replies

To Temp gauge

Quick Reply: Temp gauge