C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel Gage Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Canuck62
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Fuel Gage Problem

Just started this spring and it worked great last season
The fuel gage stays on empty,,, when i turn the ignition it will move about a 1/8 or so,,, and yes i just filled the tank
I cleaned the grounds,,, seems there is two on there with one running straight to the battery
not sure what the problem is and i am mechanically inclined but not so much great on the sparky side
1962 corvette

would appreciate ant tips

Thx
Steve
Old 04-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Canuck62
Just started this spring and it worked great last season
The fuel gage stays on empty,,, when i turn the ignition it will move about a 1/8 or so,,, and yes i just filled the tank
I cleaned the grounds,,, seems there is two on there with one running straight to the battery
not sure what the problem is and i am mechanically inclined but not so much great on the sparky side
1962 corvette

would appreciate ant tips

Thx
Steve
Just follow the checks outlined here by JohnZ.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C1FuelGaugeTech.pdf (135.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Canuck62
Pro

Thank you FTF
Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fuel gauge was doing the same thing on my 61 b4 I sold it. Without the help of John's article. I jumped right into taking the fuel sending unit out of the tank. I removed the float and placed it in very hot water looking for a leak. Sure enough I saw some bubbles. BINGO, got it.
Now I could have done one of two things.
Order a new one, or to save a few bucks solder the area where the bubbles came from. If you decide to do the second option be sure to clean the area with light weight sanding paper, rub lightly. And make sure all the gas/water is out of the float.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Canuck62
Pro

Originally Posted by splidecision63
My fuel gauge was doing the same thing on my 61 b4 I sold it. Without the help of John's article. I jumped right into taking the fuel sending unit out of the tank. I removed the float and placed it in very hot water looking for a leak. Sure enough I saw some bubbles. BINGO, got it.
Now I could have done one of two things.
Order a new one, or to save a few bucks solder the area where the bubbles came from. If you decide to do the second option be sure to clean the area with light weight sanding paper, rub lightly. And make sure all the gas/water is out of the float.

Thx... I should have thought of that,,, I had that same problem with a 29 Model A,,, soldered it and all was good again
Old 04-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Canuck62
Pro

Thank You
I removed the sending unit today and found a leak in the float so tiny it was though to see without magnifying glass... could hear and feel the gas in it when i shook it

got the gas out and soldered it up,,, my gas gauge works great now

Thx
Steve
Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuck62
Thank You
I removed the sending unit today and found a leak in the float so tiny it was though to see without magnifying glass... could hear and feel the gas in it when i shook it

got the gas out and soldered it up,,, my gas gauge works great now

Thx
Steve
I am glad I could help. It's not very often that I am able to help somebody. That makes me feel good also.

George.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gage Problem

Quick Reply: Fuel Gage Problem