C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

a 50-year-old document

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:42 PM
ertdfgcvb
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a 50-year-old document

In late November 1964 I took delivery of my factory-ordered '65 C2 convertible. 2 or 3 years later, in a fit of madness I sold her thinking tuition money was more important.

Last week, I found the original sales form listing options and prices. I'm thinking the current owner, assuming my beauty has survived so far, would like to have this paper.

The VIN is listed as: 194675S102185.

She is Glen green with matching interior, both tops, 4-speed, and has a 365-HP engine. I paid $4,175 by the way, and that included a nice discount off the MSRP of $4,867.50.

She was bought in downtown Fort Worth, and sold to a fellow factory worker at the Bell Helicopter factory in the same county.

I tried some VIN trace websites without success. I don't think they will give me the current owner's address anyway.

I just joined this website today and am pleased to see I can communicate here for free. Can anybody help me trace this car?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:31 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ertdfgcvb
In late November 1964 I took delivery of my factory-ordered '65 C2 convertible. 2 or 3 years later, in a fit of madness I sold her thinking tuition money was more important.

Last week, I found the original sales form listing options and prices. I'm thinking the current owner, assuming my beauty has survived so far, would like to have this paper.

The VIN is listed as: 194675S102185.

She is Glen green with matching interior, both tops, 4-speed, and has a 365-HP engine. I paid $4,175 by the way, and that included a nice discount off the MSRP of $4,867.50.

She was bought in downtown Fort Worth, and sold to a fellow factory worker at the Bell Helicopter factory in the same county.

I tried some VIN trace websites without success. I don't think they will give me the current owner's address anyway.

I just joined this website today and am pleased to see I can communicate here for free. Can anybody help me trace this car?

You should a copy of that document to Al Greening for his records. he has an amazing collection and can tell you all kinds of things about what the document means
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Go to https://apps.add123.com/NmvtisPpiWeb...ehicle+History

If I entered your VIN correctly, there IS a record of it. You pay them $4.95 and you'll instantly get the report showing when and where it was last titled, and any other stuff like salvage title. No, it won't give you a city or owner's name but it's a start. The only thing we ask in return is let us know what you find out.

I checked 5 of my old Vettes, and found one each in Washington State, Illinois and Indiana. The other 2 are no record.

And welcome to the forum!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:59 PM
ertdfgcvb
6th Gear

DB and RRman, thanks both for your prompt response.

I will send a copy to Al Greening if I come across his contact info.

I have no questions about the doc or the VIN's coded info. My true concern is to get the doc in the hands of the current owner to put a smile on his/her face.

I suppose what I'm asking is whether there is a voluntary registry of cars and owners among all the Corvette clubs. If so, I'll be happy to send the original doc via mail. Just need an address and name. Or, if there is some kind of sensitivity with that, i'll volunteer my name and phone number so he.she can contact me directly.

FYI, I checked several 'vette club websites and found it necessary to pay a fee to have access to members like the two of you. That's why I'm hoping to be led to the right website via this forum.

BTW, I also got a good hit on a VIN search website so I'm hopeful my lovely is still rolling 50 years on, but I also got something like 10 disappointing answers. So, I'm still hoping this forum leads me to success.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

At the top of this page, in the Sticky section, we have a thread for ORPHAN VIN stamped and marked parts and documents... like yours.

We use this thread to try to match up people with the cars and the parts. Please make a post with your info there?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...list-here.html
Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

That car does not show in the C-2 registry.

The privacy stuff works against you on efforts like this. But the site I gave you in my previous post will at least give you the state it most recently was titled in. Not to sound negative, but if the car was destroyed after the start of that database it would show that too. For $4.95 it's a cheap place to start.

Back in the 60's, the most common ways to sell a car were an ad in the local newspaper, or a sign on the car in your driveway or down at the local gas station. So in most cases the buyer was nearby. With the internet, the buyer may easily be from any state in the country, or even overseas. No telling WHERE it went to, but if it shows in the NMVTIS at least it's in the US. Or WAS.

Spring for the 5 bucks and see what it tells you.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:35 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I tried that web site with 2 VINs of cars I own and it didn't find either one. I guess NJ doesn't participate??

Verne
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 AM
ertdfgcvb
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
At the top of this page, in the Sticky section, we have a thread for ORPHAN VIN stamped and marked parts and documents... like yours.

We use this thread to try to match up people with the cars and the parts. Please make a post with your info there?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...list-here.html
Thanks to the entire community, especially Vettebuyer. This is just what I need, And done. How about a snack with our beer?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by W Guy
I tried that web site with 2 VINs of cars I own and it didn't find either one. I guess NJ doesn't participate??

Verne
How long have you owned them? The system is relatively new, and if they were titled before the system was up and running they will not show.

Also, apparently some states are uploading older information as they have time. Over the past maybe 3 years I have entered numbers of some Vettes I used to own, probably 2-3 times a year. About 3 months back I entered my '63, no record. A few weeks ago I was looking up something else and put the '63 info in - and it shows it was titled in 2001! I'm almost positive the NMVTIS was not in operation back then so must be they just added that info recently.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
How long have you owned them? The system is relatively new, and if they were titled before the system was up and running they will not show.

Also, apparently some states are uploading older information as they have time. Over the past maybe 3 years I have entered numbers of some Vettes I used to own, probably 2-3 times a year. About 3 months back I entered my '63, no record. A few weeks ago I was looking up something else and put the '63 info in - and it shows it was titled in 2001! I'm almost positive the NMVTIS was not in operation back then so must be they just added that info recently.
One for 10 years and one for 45 years.
Verne

Get notified of new replies

To a 50-year-old document

Quick Reply: a 50-year-old document