C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thanks C2Racer for suspension advice...

Old 04-19-2015, 06:33 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Thanks C2Racer for suspension advice...

Thanks to C2racer for the help with figuring out the rear suspension rebound issues in my 67.

I followed his advice and added single adjustable QA-1s to the rear and it took care of the issue.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 04-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Thanks to C2racer for the help with figuring out the rear suspension rebound issues in my 67.

I followed his advice and added single adjustable QA-1s to the rear and it took care of the issue.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank,

Curiosity has the best of me... Did you have a rebound issue? What did the QA-1's solve? Thanks..

Hitch
Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 233 Posts

Thanks Frank! Didn't expect to see this, nice little Sunday night surprise. Enjoy your car!

Steve
Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hitch
Frank,

Curiosity has the best of me... Did you have a rebound issue? What did the QA-1's solve? Thanks..

Hitch
Hitch, et al,

Yes, I was having a problem with rebound/unloading from the rear suspension. Essentially, when I was hitting bumps, my **** was hanging in the seat belt while looking over the top of the windshield...if I didn't have a seat belt on I would have been lifted out of my seat

I'll be the first to admit I am not a suspension guru, so if I have misused terminology such as "rebound" or "unload", please advise. These were the best descriptive words I could think of to help explain the issue.

Background: I have a 67 SB car with 460b coils, Bilsten Sport shocks (all the way around) and a 320lb mono spring...all from vette brakes.

Needless to say, the (rear) rebound made the car very uncomfortable...punishing actually. (I know, everyone will say put it back to stock, but I didn't want to go that route). I like the lower stance and rake/look with the vette brakes kit and I didn't want to try figure out how to get that with stock springs, etc.

Anyway, I added single adjustable QA-1s (+8 clicks) and they dampened the rebound...the Bilstein Sports don't seem to have the ability to dampen/control the suspension...they too were along for the ride. The ride is now more positive...the car doesn't unload/rebound...and although it is stiff, it feels appropriate, and best of all my **** stays in the seat.

I may add single adjustable QA-1s in the front to further improve the overall handling/match everything.

Frank
Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Good news for me, bought this setup for the rear and I am yet to fit it... hopefully it will work for me also !
Old 04-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Perfect...glad someone can use the information

Cheers,

Frank
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 233 Posts

Basically I am new to these cars and first got a 63 race car, liked it and then bought a 64. The suspension on it sucked when I got it so the experimentation began. I saw Frank's post for help and I had been through the process and the cheapest place to start was just a set of shocks. So instead of making a long list he tried this and for him it worked.

You can spend whatever you got on these cars or you can spend some "quality" time and get pretty far down the road on a lot less $. These cars start with really good bones(basic design) for 50+ year old cars. I enjoy racing them and learning the nuances. Have fun!

Steve
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Hitch, et al,

Yes, I was having a problem with rebound/unloading from the rear suspension. Essentially, when I was hitting bumps, my **** was hanging in the seat belt while looking over the top of the windshield...if I didn't have a seat belt on I would have been lifted out of my seat

I'll be the first to admit I am not a suspension guru, so if I have misused terminology such as "rebound" or "unload", please advise. These were the best descriptive words I could think of to help explain the issue.

Background: I have a 67 SB car with 460b coils, Bilsten Sport shocks (all the way around) and a 320lb mono spring...all from vette brakes.

Needless to say, the (rear) rebound made the car very uncomfortable...punishing actually. (I know, everyone will say put it back to stock, but I didn't want to go that route). I like the lower stance and rake/look with the vette brakes kit and I didn't want to try figure out how to get that with stock springs, etc.

Anyway, I added single adjustable QA-1s (+8 clicks) and they dampened the rebound...the Bilstein Sports don't seem to have the ability to dampen/control the suspension...they too were along for the ride. The ride is now more positive...the car doesn't unload/rebound...and although it is stiff, it feels appropriate, and best of all my **** stays in the seat.

I may add single adjustable QA-1s in the front to further improve the overall handling/match everything.

Frank
Frank,

Sounds like the same problem I have. Sounds like I have now found the fix! Awesome!!! Thank you.

Hitch
Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

good deal...I am adding the fronts this afternoon...

Id be interested in how it works out on your end...

frank

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks C2Racer for suspension advice...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thanks C2Racer for suspension advice...