C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car Stalled Today While At A Light…Wouldn't Start Back Up

Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Car Stalled Today While At A Light…Wouldn't Start Back Up

So I went local to my house this morning…car has been driving fine, sounds good. After I left where I was at, started car up and it started fine. Drove around the block and at the stop sign, car just died…it wouldn't kick over…not battery, thought it could be alternator. Guy from towing agency shoed up (said it sounded like fuel pump bad or just clogged)…anyway, flat bedded the car to my garage. After being on a tilt on it's way up and down, he tells me to try to start it up. I do and of course it starts right away fine. He said could be sediment in fuel tank that shifted. So, he told me for starters, add a bottle of dry gas to the fuel tank. Knowing there is something going on that's clogging the fuel line somewhere (sender or fuel pump), I don't want to drive it to the shop. Based on my post, any other suggestions on what could be wrong or what I should check (drop fuel tank and have it cleaned out, blow out fuel lines, change fuel filters, etc). It's a 1965 Corvette with L76 engine (just rebuilt the engine keeping it a solid lifter).
Old 04-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by bondguy
So I went local to my house this morning…car has been driving fine, sounds good. After I left where I was at, started car up and it started fine. Drove around the block and at the stop sign, car just died…it wouldn't kick over…not battery, thought it could be alternator. Guy from towing agency shoed up (said it sounded like fuel pump bad or just clogged)…
anyway, flat bedded the car to my garage. After being on a tilt on it's way up and down, he tells me to try to start it up. I do and of course it starts right away fine. He said could be sediment in fuel tank that shifted. So, he told me for starters, add a bottle of dry gas to the fuel tank. Knowing there is something going on that's clogging the fuel line somewhere (sender or fuel pump), I don't want to drive it to the shop. Based on my post, any other suggestions on what could be wrong or what I should check (drop fuel tank and have it cleaned out, blow out fuel lines, change fuel filters, etc). It's a 1965 Corvette with L76 engine (just rebuilt the engine keeping it a solid lifter).
First off, that tow truck driver doesn't know s**t about cars if he thought it was a fuel issue. If it WERE fuel related the car may not run but it would AT LEAST turn over!

This is an electrical issue and it sounds like the classic firewall connector pins or large red wire aren't making a good connection scenario, a very common problem.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 04-19-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Gotta to agree with Gary.
I don't know what the problem is, but I know enough to say I don't know.
Which is better than what you got from flat bed knucklehead.
Based upon what I have heard about the firewall connectors on our cars, I would look there first, and follow the advice of tow truck tommy last...
Old 04-19-2015, 02:18 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Check firewall connectors also check coil connections both sides. ,check wires on inside
of distributor or insulation missing and tight connections. I had to used jumper from battery with clips once to get home.
I all that's good check ignition switch loose bi metal piece inside switch.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Drove around the block and at the stop sign, car just died…it wouldn't kick over…not battery, thought it could be alternator.
It would help if the OP would give a better definition of "it wouldn't kick over". Maybe that means the engine would crank but wouldn't start?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:45 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I take it to mean he turned ignition switch to start, and nothing happened.

Captain Obvious.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:00 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65hihp

Which is better than what you got from flat bed knucklehead.
Based upon what I have heard about the firewall connectors on our cars, I would look there first, and follow the advice of tow truck tommy last...
Originally Posted by 65hihp
Captain Obvious.
Looks like you have it all figured out.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:12 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MikeM
It would help if the OP would give a better definition of "it wouldn't kick over". Maybe that means the engine would crank but wouldn't start?
Is this the same problem you had last summer? Did you fix it?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-bad-way.html
Old 04-19-2015, 03:32 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Is this the same problem you had last summer? Did you fix it?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-bad-way.html
Not the same problem as last Summer. Car has been starting fine and not running hot at all. Had the engine rebuilt recently. After getting coffee this morning, car started right up and after driving around the block and getting to s stop sign, the car just conked out. Wouldn't start. Was making a cranking noise (not like the ticking noise of a dead battery). It just wouldn't start…I waited about 1/2 hour for tow truck to arrive and tried again but nothing…just cranking sound…and didn't sound like it was anywhere near to starting. He brought it to my garage at my house and asked me to try again once he set it down in the garage…and, it started right up. I will check the firewall clips but not sure why that would all of a sudden happen when it started up and has been fine for awhile.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:52 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Default Something Else I Noticed

Also wondering if it is the firewall clips, why would it start after being towed back to my house? And, noticed just now after starting it (it's been sitting in garage and cooled down) that I'm getting some water droplets coming out of both sides of exhaust…no smoke white or gray..just water with exhaust…stopped after about a minute

Last edited by bondguy; 04-19-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Also wondering if it is the firewall clips, why would it start after being towed back to my house? And, noticed just now after starting it (it's been sitting in garage and cooled down) that I'm getting some water droplets coming out of both sides of exhaust…no smoke white or gray..just water with exhaust
Water = okay

Antifreeze coolant = problem

When gasoline is burned with oxygen (air) the result is energy + CO2 + water. Some condensed water vapor is to be expected at the tailpipe on cool down. But not coolant. Typically a coolant leak into the combustion chamber(s) will show up as a white cloud out the tailpipes. If the car has a catalytic converter (late models) this cloud will disappear as the catalyst heats everything up so hot that the visible water vapor becomes invisible superheated steam. Since you don't have cats, you should just see a big white plume behind your car.

Larry
Old 04-19-2015, 04:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Was making a cranking noise (not like the ticking noise of a dead battery).

…just cranking sound…and didn't sound like it was anywhere near to starting. .

Does this mean the engine would turn over and not start or just wouldn't turn over?
Old 04-19-2015, 04:10 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Does this mean the engine would turn over and not start or just wouldn't turn over?
Wasn't even close to turning over Of course, now it's in my garage and starts fine on the first turn…I let it run for a few minutes and no stalling or even close to shutting down. Just the little bit of water droplets from the exhaust …guess I need noticed the water from exhaust if it's been there before because normally my car is parked by me head in and because it was delivered by flatbed and I need to get it flat bedded to shop later in the week I had him back the car in the garage. Let it run for a minute but had to shut if off..exhaust smell even with garage open was starting to seem like it might get inside my house.

Last edited by bondguy; 04-19-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Stuck float.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:20 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Default Water Droplets

When I smelled my hands after having water droplets from exhaust on them, it had the smell of when you have something electrical burning…not the usual exhaust smell
Old 04-19-2015, 04:38 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Stuck float.
That would explain why it wouldn't even turn over after it died at a stop sign but started when I got it home?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

That would explain why it wouldn't even turn over after it died at a stop sign but started when I got it home?
No, but you've been pretty vague at describing your symptoms.

Did anything else electrical work when the engine wouldn't crank over? Courtesy lights, radio, horn, etc.?

Get notified of new replies

To Car Stalled Today While At A Light…Wouldn't Start Back Up

Old 04-19-2015, 05:34 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,297 Posts

How about clarify, straight out, when you say "turn over" are you meaning "start"? The engine is turned over by the starter, but needs fuel and spark to start. Does your definition of "turn over" mean that the engine is running?
Just this once, use these terms: did it crank, but no start....or would it not crank at all, no starter sound, no engine cranking? When you turned the key, could you hear the engine "turning over (cranking)" trying to start?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
How about clarify, straight out, when you say "turn over" are you meaning "start"? The engine is turned over by the starter, but needs fuel and spark to start. Does your definition of "turn over" mean that the engine is running?
Just this once, use these terms: did it crank, but no start....or would it not crank at all, no starter sound, no engine cranking? When you turned the key, could you hear the engine "turning over (cranking)" trying to start?
seems like so many have trouble explaining this otherwise simple set of alternatives.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I assumed the "...cranking noise" from post #9 means the car is turning over when the key is in the start position...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Stalled Today While At A Light…Wouldn't Start Back Up